Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-04-2005   #1
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Default Casserly trade talk

from http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2005PreDraft.html

Texans GM Charlie Casserly during a radio interview last week... stated that it's very likely that his team will trade out of their first pick which is the 13th overall...Casserly didn't say which way the team will be moving (up or down) but it's likely the team will move up if one of the prospects they covet slips a bit in the Draft....the Texans have two glaring needs...one on the O-Line at the Left Tackle position and the other on Defensive side of the ball at the Inside Linebacker position...since the team is Drafting 13th overall...taking an Inside Backer with that pick is out of the question since the Top Prospects (Crowder,Thurman and Ruud) all carry a late first round grade at best... however...the Texans could land the Draft's top OT Alex Barron if they were to move up to the Lions pick at #10 since the teams drafting ahead of the Lions have other needs and are likely to pass on Barron...the Texans could also be targeting WR Troy Williamson to pair with Andre Johnson and give Qb David Carr another weapon...it seems that the Lions pick at #10 could become the "Hot Spot" on Draft Day...

Thought this was interesting...
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we move up for Barron? We should stick with Wand for this year, and if he fails, look OT in the first next year when the OTs coming out are actually good...
Old 04-04-2005   #3
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

I would love moving up for Troy Williamson but if we do move up and both DJ and TW are there I want DJ!
Old 04-04-2005   #4
Htown34s
Veteran

It sounds like the speculation by this reporter is just that. I see DJ possibly playing ILB with us. Plus we need both a starting inside and/or outside LB, so we could take DJ and place Wong inside. This guy is reaching with his conclusions since he really has no idea of our LB situation.

If we trade up to take Alex Barron I'll be some kind of PO'ed...
Old 04-04-2005   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would we move up for Barron? We should stick with Wand for this year, and if he fails, look OT in the first next year when the OTs coming out are actually good...
I agree. IMO Wand will have to do a pretty horrible job this season to get replaced, he had a solid season last season starting his first full season at LT and I think and hope he will only improve, but if we do have to replace him after the '05 season, we can look to next year's draft like DRek stated, or look at free agent tackles...
Old 04-04-2005   #6
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
I would love moving up for Troy Williamson
Why would we move up to get another Cory Bradford?

Last edited by BornOrange; 04-04-2005 at 08:44 PM.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #7
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I think Philly, GB, KC, possibly a team or 2 more wants to move up/ KC would give us #15 and 3rd. The others would have to either give up several late round pics or a #2. I think we can get a OLB in Ware at any of those picks.. if he is gone their is Blackstock and Burnett. If we get another 2nd we can get the WR and prob a CB. Then we can go DE, OL, RB, or S here.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2005   #8
The Preacher
Veteran

Moving up to take Barron-nightmare!
Moving up to take DJ-don't we need a pass rush at OLB the jury is still out on peek. Plus deep draft for talent and we need depth
Holding out at #13 where somebody unexpectedly falls to us-grab em' or pick up some extra picks-just right
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #9
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

As much as I would love to have DJ as an ILB, the Texans have too many needs for depth to trade up to get him. If he or Spears falls to 13 I would be extremely happy. Otherwise, I would like to trade down and get more draft picks.

Burnett would also be a good fit for ILB in the 3-4.
Old 04-04-2005   #10
royce1054
All Pro

if KC trades we would get 1st 4th and 5th... they dont have a 3rd.
1st #15 worth 1050
4th #110 worth 74
5th #141 worth 35

if GB trades
1st #24 worth 740
2nd #51 worth 390
they have 2 #2's i am sure they are more than happy to part with 1 to get Alex Smith

If Philly trades
#31 worth 600
#35 worth 550

These are some what ifs from teams i heard want to trade up.
Old 04-04-2005   #11
The Preacher
Veteran

All those look like sweet deals especially the first two.
Old 04-04-2005   #12
BornOrange
All Pro

I like the trade with Philly myself.
Old 04-04-2005   #13
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
All those look like sweet deals especially the first two.
those are just what ifs from teams i have heard want to trade up... i havent heard of these deals... i have heard some ppl think KC will trade and GB will but i thought Philly bc i heard they want to move up... I dont think its high enough for them though.
Old 04-04-2005   #14
BornOrange
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
those are just what ifs from teams i have heard want to trade up... i havent heard of these deals... i have heard some ppl think KC will trade and GB will but i thought Philly bc i heard they want to move up... I dont think its high enough for them though.
If Williamson or maybe Clayton is available at 13 I think Casserly might be able to talk Philly into making that deal.
Old 04-04-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
If Williamson or maybe Clayton is available at 13 I think Casserly might be able to talk Philly into making that deal.
What i am hearing is Philly want Mike Williams. So that means #7 or higher. Thats gonna mean trading up almost the whole draft.
Old 04-04-2005   #16
The Preacher
Veteran

As long as we get at least four players the first day I'd say things went well. It looks like there are solid players through round 3 at least. If Philly wants to deal why not we could snag Burnett and Bass or assortment of any other players you like.
Old 04-04-2005   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well the more websites i see the more everyone acts like barron is the guy we're targetting...so for ya'll who hate the idea of us drafting him in the first...you might want to get used to the idea
Old 04-04-2005   #18
royce1054
All Pro

I would love that deal with Philly but i think there trarget is Mike Williams. I dont think Williamson or Clayton are thier targets though. I would be more than happy to see the Texans with more than 2 picks on the 1st day bc of the depth of this draft.
KC Deal happens we could get Ware, Miller, Clayton
GB deal happens we could get Blackstock, Burnett, White, Browner, maybe ware
Philly deal happens we could prob get Burnett, Jackson, Brown, Gibson we might even get 2 of these names
Old 04-04-2005   #19
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see us trading up to #6 for DJ. Tennessee needs players and not huge contracts right? At the very worst we would have to give up both our 3rds. I know many may not want to give up both thirds, but remember, one of those came from a 6th round pick. So it would kind of cost us a 1, 3 and 6 to get DJ. Just try'en to be optimisitic about trading up because if we trade up it will probably cost us more than a single 3. I could go for a playmaker in the first and miss out on some potential starters in the third. Judging by what types of players we have traditionally picked in the third round, every single one has been a project of sorts. We've had Peek, Wand, Ragone, Weary, Hill, and a traded pick. Hill was gone fast, Ragone could be a great backup/trade bate, Weary hasn't done a lot, Wand has started primarily due to need and Peek will hopefully start next year and shows some flashes of being a playmaker. I would not be upset to get an almost sure fire playmaker in exchange for two of the type of guys we go for in the third.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #20
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I dont think people are upset with the idea of drafting him....just the idea of trading up to draft him....if hes bpa at #13...then why not he's a hell of an athlete, but not worth trading up for since he's not our primary NEED.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read