Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-07-2010   #21
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Board Thread

FYI Adrian Clayborn is vastly overrated at this point. He just did not show up like he is capable, and was supposed to this year. I say right now he is bottom 1st or high 2nd. With a good offseason he could shoot up the board to a 3-4 team in need.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
HOMER!!! j/k He is a very good player.

Great idea. But I disagree on #2. Green is head and shoulders ahead of Peterson. Green is the best player in the draft that is NOT a QB.
I think Green will be an excellent player, dont get me wrong. But Peterson will also be an excellent player, and excellent CBs (or FSs) are less common than excellent receivers.

I do change my #3 vote to Green though, that was an oversight of mine.

Quote:
FYI Adrian Clayborn is vastly overrated at this point. He just did not show up like he is capable, and was supposed to this year. I say right now he is bottom 1st or high 2nd. With a good offseason he could shoot up the board to a 3-4 team in need.
I echo this. Came into the season as a top 3 pick, and has not played like one.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #23
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

To start. My top 20.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. AJ Green, WR, Georgia
3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
4. Patrick Peterson, CB, Louisiana State
5. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
6. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
7. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
8. Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
10. Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
11. Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
12. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
13. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
14. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
15. Robert Quinn, DE/LB, North Carolina
16. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn
17. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
18. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami FL
19. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
20. Ryan Kerrigan, LB, Perdue
Old 12-07-2010   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

anyone else think Cam Newton pulls a Vince Young & by next April moves up to #3?

I'm torn on #3 pick in the draft, it's going to be fluid & everchanging which is a good thing to bring up now (is player currently rated this high have skill set, star power & NFL following to hold onto position in four months). Alot of these guys are underclassman, they have to deceide early Janurary if they're coming out or change minds which probably means other than bowl game the last look we have will be the combine.

To me there are some killer WR's in this draft a whole bunch of quality linemen you could throw a blanket over but there are only two stud DB's with both size, physical nauture to shutdown a zone & playmaking skills that rival a WR that's Peterson & Prince Amukamara. So I think teams will be looking for secondary help early & teams will be on one guy or the other. with that said as good as AJ Green could be (very lean, Moss like build) or Da'Quan Bowers (blend of power & speed but does he take plays off) my 3rd overall selection of the 2011 draft as of now would be Prince Amukamara.

1 1/2 votes WR AJ Green
1 vote DB Prince Amukamara
1/2 vote DE Da'Quan Bowers

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
For instance I would grade Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida ahead of Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia (who knows Jenkins could wind up being the Texans 1st rd. pick when all is said & done).
I haven't got much time to study these prospects, but at your suggestion, I pulled out the Gators-Tides game.

I like what I see in Ja. Jenkins. He looks like an athlete... pretty smooth.
I want to watch some more of him.
I didn't pay much attention to him last year since he wasn't a prospect at the time, but I think I like him.
I'm not sure the Texans will draft a CB though.
(Even though I'm open to the thought of converting one of our CB to FS, I'm not sure Kubiak would be too keen on that.)

I'm still reserving judgment on SS Barron.
Can't say for sure if he can become a solid NFL player or not.
But with what we got on the team right now, he certainly looks like a possible option.
In which round do you think he will land?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I haven't got much time to study these prospects, but at your suggestion, I pulled out the Gators-Tides game.

I like what I see in Ja. Jenkins. He looks like an athlete... pretty smooth.
I want to watch some more of him.
I didn't pay much attention to him last year since he wasn't a prospect at the time, but I think I like him.
I'm not sure the Texans will draft a CB though.
(Even though I'm open to the thought of converting one of our CB to FS, I'm not sure Kubiak would be too keen on that.)

I'm still reserving judgment on SS Barron.
Can't say for sure if he can become a solid NFL player or not.
But with what we got on the team right now, he certainly looks like a possible option.
In which round do you think he will land?
Watching Florida & Janoris Jenkins, CB, (5'11 - 186) reminds me alot of Dunta Robinson pre-injury. reported sub 4.4 speed good technique as cover corner but does not have dominant physical presence & measureables of a Peterson or Prince. I really like him for the Texans early teens. That would allow Bush & Co one last shot to shuffle roster & get players in positions to succeed. Allen and/or Quinn could fill safety position, Jenkins is a cover corner only, Kareem seems more like a nickle CB who can take CB reps.

Right now we are trying to figure out who the 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft should be? welcome your input, love your film study work

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-07-2010   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

On my big board #3

A.J. Green WR Georgia

Green is the best college WR I've seen since Moss. Great size,quickness in and out of breaks, hands plucks the ball naturally. He has good enough speed but isn't a blazer. Think Fitzgerald but a bit faster.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2010   #28
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
On my big board #3

A.J. Green WR Georgia

Green is the best college WR I've seen since Moss. Great size,quickness in and out of breaks, hands plucks the ball naturally. He has good enough speed but isn't a blazer. Think Fitzgerald but a bit faster.
If Fitz and Desean Jackson had a baby.
Old 12-07-2010   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

everybody good with another AJ being selected #3 overall?

1.Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - 6'4 - 235
2.Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - 6'1 - 222
3. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-07-2010   #30
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds good to me. I stick with my guy Bowers at 4, but I could see a couple other players here.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #31
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
everybody good with another AJ being selected #3 overall?

1.Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - 6'4 - 235
2.Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - 6'1 - 222
3. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212
That's lookin' pretty good.

Now should it be Bowers, Amukamara, Dareus or Quinn? Or other?

Locker? Fairley?
Old 12-07-2010   #32
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That's lookin' pretty good.

Now should it be Bowers, Amukamara, Dareus or Quinn? Or other?

Locker? Fairley?
I like Dareus here. Versatile lineman who can play in a 4-3, 3-4, can play DT or DE.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

4th on the board if running a 4-3 Bowers, if 3-4 Dareus

I will go with potential higher upside over a given. 4th on my big board

Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
Old 12-07-2010   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Marcell Dareus is coming off injury right? while the times I've watched Bowers he has been inconsistant, not sure if you would call it taking plays off or not but not the high motor of a Ryan Kerrigan for example. I still have to push for Prince Amukamara, just doesn't get challenged enough in Big 12. He has elite size to match-up against true NFL #1's like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White. Strong enough to jam @ scrimmage & contest routes without getting blown off like some smaller corners.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-08-2010   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Marcell Dareus is coming off injury right? while the times I've watched Bowers he has been inconsistant, not sure if you would call it taking plays off or not but not the high motor of a Ryan Kerrigan for example. I still have to push for Prince Amukamara, just doesn't get challenged enough in Big 12. He has elite size to match-up against true NFL #1's like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White. Strong enough to jam @ scrimmage & contest routes without getting blown off like some smaller corners.
Bowers plays has been asked to play on the strong side alot this yr. He has done a good job holding up against the run. In the games I've seen he's also made TFL's.

Prince is next on my list. He's also a stud, I consider Bowers=Prince, but I consider a premium pass rusher more valuable than a shut down corner.

Example Jets, Revis/Cromartie are great. But Brady tore up the Jets because of the lack of a pass rush.
Old 12-08-2010   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

I don't want to copycat anyone elses work out there. This should OUR board from Texan fans who are into the draft & follow College Football. But here is a real valid early look from Rob Rang, Senior Analyst for NFL Draft Scout (CBS) - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...if-he-declares

Quote:
1. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford: The redshirt sophomore has the physical tools that merit No. 1 overall consideration, but it will be his Manning-like cognitive skills that will someday send him to the Pro Bowl.

2. CB Patrick Peterson, LSU: There has never been a cornerback selected higher than No. 3 overall (most recently, Shawn Springs to Seattle in 1993). If Peterson leaves early, he could go as high as No. 2.

3. WR AJ Green, Georgia: Green's size, straight-line speed and body control has been compared by some scouts to a young Randy Moss. The junior has perennial Pro Bowl-caliber talent.

4. DT Nick Fairley, Auburn: Entering the season he was barely a blip on scouts' radar. He's been as dominant and surprising as his teammate Cam Newton -- and would be a higher pick if the draft were held today.

5. DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson: Among the most highly touted prep prospects in the country, all Bowers has done is consistently improve, winning the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as a junior with an FBS-leading 15.5 sacks and 25 tackles for loss.

6. CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska: Count me among those who questioned how well Amukamara would fare without Ndamukong Suh terrorizing quarterbacks. Considering he's my top-rated senior prospect and the Big 12 coaches' Defensive Player of the Year, he's more than answered his doubters.

7. DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina: Don't let the yearlong suspension fool you: NFL scouts still consider Quinn a potential top-10 talent. Think Julius Peppers, but with a more consistent motor.

8. OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M: Explosive rushing the passer and agile enough to break down in space to make the open-field tackle, Miller is drawing the praise from scouts of 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike.

9. QB Cam Newton, Auburn: With Michael Vick terrorizing the NFL, Newton's unique combination of running and passing talent will certainly garner a first-round pick. Scouts question whether he can make the transition from the spread to a pro-style offense, but any concerns about his mental toughness have been answered with his poise throughout the NCAA investigation.

10. OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA: At 6-4, 255, Ayers possesses a combination of size and athletic ability virtually unmatched in college football.

11. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama: He might be Mark Ingram's backup at Alabama, but a more impressive size/speed combination should ultimately make this true sophomore a higher drafted prospect.

12. ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College: Kuechly emerged as an immediate impact defender with Mark Herzlich sidelined in 2009, earning first-team All-ACC honors as a true freshman. He's been even better this season with Herzlich back, once again earning all-conference accolades and leading the country in solo (171) and total tackles (102) as a true sophomore.

13. OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State: One of the few senior offensive tackles blessed with the athleticism to remain on the left side in the NFL, Sherrod was honored four times this year as the SEC's Offensive Lineman of the Week.

14. RB Mark Ingram, Alabama: Should the 2009 Heisman winner elect to enter the draft, Ingram will unquestionably rate as 2011's top running back prospect. Even though, in my opinion, he rates second on his own team.

15. OT Nate Solder, Colorado: Like Derek Sherrod, Solder has the athleticism to remain on the blind side in the pros -- quite a statement considering his skyscraper (6-8, 315-pound) frame.

16. WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State: A virtual shoo-in for the 2010 Biletnikof Award as the nation's top receiver despite only being a redshirt sophomore, Blackmon's success against top competition has the attention of scouts.

17. OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin: Carimi struggled with leverage early this season, but his improved technique is a prime reason why Wisconsin scored 40-plus points in five games this season and 70 or more three times.

18. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina: In over 10 years of professional scouting I've only seen a few true freshmen physically capable of making the jump to the NFL. Lattimore, with good balance, vision and the forward lean to finish his runs, is one of them.

19. CB Brandon Harris, Miami (Fla.): A two-time All-ACC selection despite this being only his junior season, Harris' silky smooth coverage has earned comparisons to some of the great 'Cane corners of the past.

20. DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa: Consistently double-teamed this season, Clayborn hasn't had the monster campaign some projected, but his size, strength and technique make him a surefire first-round pick.

21. DE Cameron Jordan, California: Jordan's position and scheme versatility make him one of the country's best defensive linemen -- even if few outside of the Pac-10 know his name.

22. DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama: Primarily a defensive end for the Tide, Dareus fits best inside at the pro level. While he's stout at the point of attack, scouts would like to see more splashy plays to warrant the hype the junior has received throughout his career.

23. DE Aldon Smith, Missouri: If not for a broken leg that cost him three games early this season, the redshirt sophomore Smith might be higher on the list. Smith (6-5, 258) is one of the few defensive ends with the size and burst off the edge to project as a weak-side pass rusher.

24. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College: The four-year starter has gained strength and toughness over his career and still possesses the athleticism to play left tackle.

25. DE JJ Watts, Wisconsin: In a year of breakout performances, few have been more unexpected than that of this former Central Michigan player. At 6-6, 292, the junior is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.

26. WR Julio Jones, Alabama: Jones lacks the straight-line speed to warrant a high first-round selection, but his size and physicality make him more pro-ready than most collegiate wideouts. With more consistent hands, the junior would be ranked higher.

27. DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue: Kerrigan might lack the athleticism to wow in workouts, but his technique and motor arguably make him as safe a prospect as any senior in the country.

28. C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State: The nephew of former Penn State and Oakland Raider standout Steve, this Wisniewski plays with similar physicality and is more polished and versatile than his famous uncle.

29. DT Drake Nevis, LSU: Nevis has been dominant this season, but his lack of size (6-2, 285) is a considerable concern to scouts. Many view him as a rotational player unworthy of a first-round selection.

30. WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina: At an estimated 6-4, 232 pounds, Jeffery reminds me a great deal of former USC standout and current Seattle Seahawks starter Mike Williams. Jeffery possesses good build-up speed, but to be successful in the NFL, the All-SEC pick must hone his skills as a route runner, as production in Steve Spurrier's offense has yet to translate into immediate success at the professional level.

31. DE/OLB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma: Capable of pressuring the quarterback from the three-point stance or standing up, he can also drop back into coverage. The versatile defender could wind up as Oklahoma's 13th first-round pick since 2000.

32. DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State: With only 2.5 sacks on the year, the late Ironhead Heyward's son isn't a candidate to remain outside in the 4-3, but his strength and length as a 3-4 end could still result in a first-round selection.

Rob Rang is a Senior Draft Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange. Follow him on Twitter @RobRang.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-08-2010   #37
Blake
MMQB

I am fine with Green at #3, even though I feel he is and will be better than Peterson. But its whatev at this point.

#4 I have Prince Amukamara, Ryan Mallett, then Marcell Dareus.
Old 12-08-2010   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

its already gotten tougher trying to establish who in College Football is the #4 prospect coming out. We need more input from Texan draft gurus who fancy this kind of discussion. Right now looks like Prince Amukamara is the front runner but I'm looking for more consensus.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-08-2010   #39
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
its already gotten tougher trying to establish who in College Football is the #4 prospect coming out. We need more input from Texan draft gurus who fancy this kind of discussion. Right now looks like Prince Amukamara is the front runner but I'm looking for more consensus.
Though I am no draft guru, at #4 I go with Amukamara, though Fairley is moving up pretty fast. If he has a big NC game, and impresses afterwards, I can see him here.
Old 12-08-2010   #40
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Fitz and Desean Jackson had a baby.
Thats pretty high praise, nearly the perfect wideout.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read