Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-05-2011   #361
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Board Thread

(1) I only think that Solder is the #1 LT prospect in this class; I'm not sure where he should be as a pick on the whole board. That part can be adjusted according to whether there is a need among all the NFL teams.
With the runs on tackles the last few year, it's possible than OT is not as highly regarded as recent years.

(2) The more I watched LSU, the more Nevis jumped out at me, whether at NT in the 4-3 or the 3-4 or DE in either scheme. He looks pretty nasty in most games, and he always do a lot of things every game. He seems to be even more consistent than Dareus.
At least he needs to be moved up above Pouncey, because he dominated Pouncey most every time, and never once lost the individual battle (I don't think.) In that game (Bama) they needed to double team him often (as well as in each game that I've watched so far.) Remarkably, he held off the double team really well. I was very impressed with him. He's consistently in the opponent's backfield; I'm thinking he's a very good fit for the one-gap scheme that Wade Phillips runs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #362
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, noted that Julio Jones beat Peterson in their matchup both last year and this year.
While the announcer (in this year's game) indicated that last year, Jones did not have any catch against Peterson, it wasn't true.
Peterson was called for PI on one pass.
Peterson got away with PI on one pass.
There was one more instance but I suddenly forgot (just rewatched it last night late - couldn't sleep much but a bit sleepy by the time I wanted to take note.)

In this year game, I can't remember exactly the number, but Jones got either 3 or 4 catches over Peterson (short to medium.)
There was also a pass that Peterson mixed up coverage scheme (I'm not a hundred percent sure, 'cause you never know what defense it's supposed to be some time) but the QB missed Jones, who was wide-open in the corner.

I think Peterson broke off a pass, but it was due to the QB being late getting the ball out.

He broke off another pass (almost an INT) as Jones thought McElroy would just throw the ball away as he was chased out of the pocket.

My memory is kind of hazy now, but at any rate, what I'm sure is that Jones won the match-up fair and square both times (even though Peterson put up a good fight both times.)
Old 02-05-2011   #363
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, noted that Julio Jones beat Peterson in their matchup both last year and this year.
While the announcer (in this year's game) indicated that last year, Jones did not have any catch against Peterson, it wasn't true.
Peterson was called for PI on one pass.
Peterson got away with PI on one pass.
There was one more instance but I suddenly forgot (just rewatched it last night late - couldn't sleep much but a bit sleepy by the time I wanted to take note.)

In this year game, I can't remember exactly the number, but Jones got either 3 or 4 catches over Peterson (short to medium.)
There was also a pass that Peterson mixed up coverage scheme (I'm not a hundred percent sure, 'cause you never know what defense it's supposed to be some time) but the QB missed Jones, who was wide-open in the corner.

I think Peterson broke off a pass, but it was due to the QB being late getting the ball out.

He broke off another pass (almost an INT) as Jones thought McElroy would just throw the ball away as he was chased out of the pocket.

My memory is kind of hazy now, but at any rate, what I'm sure is that Jones won the match-up fair and square both times (even though Peterson put up a good fight both times.)
This is why I'm advocating taking Jones at 11. Jones and AJ would almost complete the offense and if there at 11 would represent BPA.

The Texans reaching to fill needs has been a major contributor to their recent draft failings.

Do you like Nevis in the 2nd rd over Taylor? I haven't studied this as much as you. But give me Taylor over Nevis. Taylors' best yrs are ahead of him and trading up into the bottom of the 1st rd should be an option.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #364
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to trade down and get taylor at the end of the 1st if there was no proven star at pick 11th. This would give us a chance to get more quality picks and totally rehaul this defense. At this point we could get taylor a cb like williams or smith if and they drop and an olb like acho or reed
Old 02-05-2011   #365
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
I would love to trade down and get taylor at the end of the 1st if there was no proven star at pick 11th. This would give us a chance to get more quality picks and totally rehaul this defense. At this point we could get taylor a cb like williams or smith if and they drop and an olb like acho or reed
At the moment that may be a solid move. However, as time goes along, Taylor may have to be taken at 11 if you want him.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #366
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I checked out Ellis and Powe in the Texas vs the Nation game.

They both look like major upgrades to what is currently on the roster at the NT position.

Powe made a great stop on a goalline stand to win the game. This is something as Texans fans we've heard about. But have never seen. LOL
Old 02-05-2011   #367
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I checked out Ellis and Powe in the Texas vs the Nation game.

They both look like major upgrades to what is currently on the roster at the NT position.

Powe made a great stop on a goalline stand to win the game. This is something as Texans fans we've heard about. But have never seen. LOL

I like Powe as a player but he needs to loose weight and drop down to at least 325-Lbs. Also, we're going to need more then one nose tackle so I would like a combination of guys, some with size and some with speed.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2011   #368
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I like Powe as a player but he needs to loose weight and drop down to at least 325-Lbs. Also, we're going to need more then one nose tackle so I would like a combination of guys, some with size and some with speed.
Man ... Barry Warner just kills Amobi Okoye on the radio . Says he doesn't like contact and that the Texans scouting stinks . He said if Amobi was a player he'd gone in and asked Wade what it takes to be a NT . Then he'd gone to the trainer and dietician to see how to get there .
Old 02-05-2011   #369
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

OkOye doesn't care he got paid.
Old 02-05-2011   #370
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Man ... Barry Warner just kills Amobi Okoye on the radio . Says he doesn't like contact and that the Texans scouting stinks . He said if Amobi was a player he'd gone in and asked Wade what it takes to be a NT . Then he'd gone to the trainer and dietician to see how to get there .
That's a pretty dumb statement by Warner. Not that I expect anything else from him.
Old 02-05-2011   #371
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Updated Pre-Super Bowl Big Board

1. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280

2. Nick Fairley, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298

3. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU - 6'1 - 222

4. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212

5. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3
As the top rated player coming into the Senior Bowl he aquitted himself nicely displaying his speed, quickness & competitive attitude propelling himself into the top 10.

6. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306

7. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268

8. Prince Amukamara, DB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205

9. Cameron Jordan - DE, California - 6'4 - 285
Cam made the biggest move on our board was disruptive & for time being solidified himself as the top rated 5 tech DE in a 3-4 scheme.

10. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 6'4 - 220

11. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - 6'9 - 315
Distanced himself from OT group if for no other reason measureables.

12. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, (Jr.), - 6'5 - 235
Did nothing but is part of a group yet to be defined as elite QB prospects worthy of Top 10 grade.

13. J.J. Watt, DE/DT, Wisconsin - 6'6 - 290

14. Justin Houston, LB Georgia - 6'3 - 260

15. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA - 6'4 - 255

16. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250
Newton moved up because Locker could possibly be less accurate & given the choice of athletic ability we should move forward with Newton.

17. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - 5'10 - 215

18. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue - 6'4 - 263
Kerrigan is really solid football player, but more of a base 4-3 end still has time to prove otherwise @ combine, pro-days & private workouts.

19. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB Missouri - 6'5 - 260

20. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - 6'4 - 285
Clayborn is a fine football player but now rates #3 prospect as a 5 tech DE

21. Jake Locker, QB, Washington - 6'3 - 230
see above

22. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - 6'6 - 238

23. Anthony Costanzo – OT, Boston College - 6'7 - 308

24. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - 5'11 - 195

25. Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State - 6'5 - 288

26. Tyron Smith, OT USC - 6'6 - 290

27. Mike Pouncey – OG, Florida - 6'4 - 310

28. Drake Nevis – DT, LSU - 6'1 - 285

29. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State - 6'5 - 305

30. Phillip Taylor, NG/NT, Baylor - 6'3 1/2" - 337
Taylor made himself some money too @ the Senior Bowl & now is the top rated, highly coveted Nose Tackle in the draft while Stephen Paea DT OSU, damaged his lateral meniscus in his right knee during a practice drill at the Senior Bowl.

31. Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois, (Jr.), - 6'0 - 230

32. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois - 6'3 - 295

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #372
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

After the Sr.Bowl and before the combine. I would have to move Taylor into Paea's spot and Paea into the top of the 2nd rd.

But that's just me and JMHO

Thoughts
Old 02-05-2011   #373
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After the Sr.Bowl and before the combine. I would have to move Taylor into Paea's spot and Paea into the top of the 2nd rd.

But that's just me and JMHO

Thoughts
good catch. see thats what I'm talking bout'

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-06-2011   #374
beerlover
Site Contributor

bump- need more input/suggestions. made some corrections but thats to be expected its been two months since we started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

1. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280

2. Nick Fairley, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298

3. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU - 6'1 - 222

4. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212

5. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3
As the top rated player coming into the Senior Bowl he aquitted himself nicely displaying his speed, quickness & competitive attitude propelling himself into the top 10.

6. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306

7. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268

8. Prince Amukamara, DB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205

9. Cameron Jordan - DE, California - 6'4 - 285
Cam made the biggest move on our board was disruptive & for time being solidified himself as the top rated 5 tech DE in a 3-4 scheme.

10. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 6'4 - 220

11. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - 6'9 - 315
Distanced himself from OT group if for no other reason measureables.

12. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, (Jr.), - 6'5 - 235
Did nothing but is part of a group yet to be defined as elite QB prospects worthy of Top 10 grade.

13. J.J. Watt, DE/DT, Wisconsin - 6'6 - 290

14. Justin Houston, LB Georgia - 6'3 - 260

15. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA - 6'4 - 255

16. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250
Newton moved up because Locker could possibly be less accurate & given the choice of athletic ability we should move forward with Newton.

17. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - 5'10 - 215

18. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue - 6'4 - 263
Kerrigan is really solid football player, but more of a base 4-3 end still has time to prove otherwise @ combine, pro-days & private workouts.

19. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB Missouri - 6'5 - 260

20. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - 6'4 - 285
Clayborn is a fine football player but now rates #3 prospect as a 5 tech DE

21. Jake Locker, QB, Washington - 6'3 - 230
see above

22. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - 6'6 - 238

23. Anthony Costanzo OT, Boston College - 6'7 - 308

24. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - 5'11 - 195

25. Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State - 6'5 - 288

26. Tyron Smith, OT USC - 6'6 - 290

27. Mike Pouncey OG, Florida - 6'4 - 310

28. Drake Nevis DT, LSU - 6'1 - 285

29. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State - 6'5 - 305

30. Phillip Taylor, NG/NT, Baylor - 6'3 1/2" - 337
Taylor made himself some money too @ the Senior Bowl & now is the top rated, highly coveted Nose Tackle in the draft while Stephen Paea DT OSU, damaged his lateral meniscus in his right knee during a practice drill at the Senior Bowl.

31. Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois, (Jr.), - 6'0 - 230

32. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois - 6'3 - 295

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-06-2011   #375
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my Top 15 Big Board so take it for what its worth (subject to change):

1.) Nick Fairley, DT

2.) AJ Green, WR

3.) Patrick Peterson, CB

4.) Von Miller, OLB

Has improved throughout the course of his career
and is a terror off the edge. Needs to add some bulk and become
stronger, but no doubt the potential is there.

5.) Robert Quinn, DE

6.) Julio Jones, WR

Its been said many times that he may
have a better pro career than he did in college. He is
a go-to receiver and is a vertical threat who combines size,
speed, and ball skills into one nice package.

7.) Da’Quan Bowers, DE

8.) Marcell Dareus, DL

9.) Prince Amukamara, CB

10.) Brandon Harris, CB

Harris is a special player IMO and has a knack for being physical
and has good closing speed. If he can learn to grab the INT instead
of batting the ball away, he would dominate just as Joe Haden and
Devin McCourty have this past season.

11.) JJ Watt, DL

12.) Justin Houston, OLB

13.) Akeem Ayers, OLB

14.) Ryan Kerrigan, DE

Ryan did well during the Senior Bowl game and has developed
some pass-rushing moves. Strictly a 4-3 DE IMO but one of the
more consistent DE in this class in terms of overall production
throughout his collegiate career.

15.) Adrian Clayborn, DE

Reminds me of Tyson Jackson (DE LSU/Kansas City Chiefs),
but with off the field issues. Has the physique to hold his own
and make plays but there was a drop off in production last season.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #376
beerlover
Site Contributor

good stuff Texan4Ever. Here is sidelineview.com new website rankings 11-20 with quick re-cap in relation to what we have this moment.

http://thesidelineview.com/2011/02/0...the-nfl-draft/

11. Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue Size: 64″ 255 lbs.
little high until proven he is a 3-4 OLB IMO. High motor constant pressure using instincts, timing & reads. lacks natural athletic explosiveness. Lance must have personal crush on Ryan then I think why not Watt, same kind of player but bigger?

12. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri Size: 65″ 260 lbs.
Relatively un-tested only one solid season, redshirt sophomore draft on potential. 19th on Big Board for that reason.

13. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama Size: 511″ 225 lbs.
Ingram is worth the 13th pick but he is a RB, maybe some teams think they can find better value later hurts his stock just a bit, we have him #17.

14. Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal Size: 64″ 287 lbs.
Most projections I've seen place him top 10. But Lance was @ the Senior Bowl, versatility to fit both 3-4 or 4-3 end a plus so we have him #9.

15. Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia Size: 64″ 260 lbs.
Been trying to move Houston higher, early favorite for Texans #1. We have him #14.

16. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA Size: 63″ 255 lbs.
Close again Ayers @ #16.

17. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa Size: 64″ 275 lbs.
Glut of 3-4 ends hurts Clayborn, pushing him back to #20.

18. J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin Size: 66″ 292 lbs.
Could be my own personal bias, just love watching this kid play the game. He is very active, plus strong, natural pass rush instincts, clearly higher 3-4 end than Clayborn in my book #13.

19. Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State Size: 64″ 287 lbs.
Again another 3-4 end, not sure whats going on here, guess this is the strength of the draft but only one QB & no LT's or DB's? #25

20. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas Size: 67″ 235 lbs.
We have Mallett #22 but where are the rest? I'm not saying one won't be drafted in the Top 10 but our top QB rated is Gabbert #12 & Newton #16.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-08-2011   #377
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is why I'm advocating taking Jones at 11. Jones and AJ would almost complete the offense and if there at 11 would represent BPA.

The Texans reaching to fill needs has been a major contributor to their recent draft failings.

Do you like Nevis in the 2nd rd over Taylor? I haven't studied this as much as you. But give me Taylor over Nevis. Taylors' best yrs are ahead of him and trading up into the bottom of the 1st rd should be an option.
Julio Jones will be a bigger stronger Jacoby Jones with better hands, that's for sure!
I know that people talked about him dropping some balls; he didn't do any worse than AJ in this department, from what I can see (and I have watched him play in some 20 plus games.) There are passes that were behind or things of that nature that I noticed once in awhile, even a commentator "expect" him to catch.

Nevis is 100% better than Taylor. I will come back to this in a bit.
Old 02-08-2011   #378
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Julio Jones will be a bigger stronger Jacoby Jones with better hands, that's for sure!
I know that people talked about him dropping some balls; he didn't do any worse than AJ in this department, from what I can see (and I have watched him play in some 20 plus games.) There are passes that were behind or things of that nature that I noticed once in awhile, even a commentator "expect" him to catch.

Nevis is 100% better than Taylor. I will come back to this in a bit.
Not sure if you're referring to Julio or Jacoby as far as the dropped passes go. Jacoby makes me facepalm a lot though. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Julio played through this season with a broken bone in his hand. The guy has great size and is TOUGH.

I liked Blackmon more at first b/c he seems to be a more exciting WR to me, but I actually think Julio would be a great fit on this team. An excellent #2 opossite AJ. His physicality is something I think Kubiak would like too.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #379
76Texan
Hall of Fame

OK, so I studied Taylor against TCU - 3rd game of the season, Texas Tech - 6th game and Okl. St. - 10th game.
These are 3 teams with good passing game; TCU is actually a good running team with a good QB on top of it.
He was a non-factor in all those 3 games.

Taylor did show some flashes here and there, but for the most part, he was inefficient agaisnt these offenses (which is something he can expect to see in the NFL.)

The thing that strikes me is that, as compared with what he showed at the Senior Bowl, he was much heavier in the midsection and ran like it (imagine a huge Donald Duck.)

Not that I was impressed with his showing during the Senior Bowl week.
Honestly, I think people like to see a big NT who can move around, and so they liked what they saw.
If Taylor can keep that weigh then I think he can become a good player in the NFL, once he improves his overall game.
But that red flag (his weigh) somebody has already mentioned needs to be kept in mind if one likes him as a prospect.
He may turn out to be another Frank Okam.

Personally, I don't like him any earlier than our slot in the second round.

(I've seen him in a few other games as well during the season - I follow Robert Griffin, the Baylor QB.)
Old 02-08-2011   #380
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not sure if you're referring to Julio or Jacoby as far as the dropped passes go. Jacoby makes me facepalm a lot though. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Julio played through this season with a broken bone in his hand. The guy has great size and is TOUGH.

I liked Blackmon more at first b/c he seems to be a more exciting WR to me, but I actually think Julio would be a great fit on this team. An excellent #2 opossite AJ. His physicality is something I think Kubiak would like too.
I agree with you.

What I said was that Julio did drop a few catches (I compare him with AJ, who would drop a ball once in awhile.)

Jacoby, on the other hand, dropped a few too many as we all know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read