Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-13-2011   #241
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Board Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I saw one game of his playing Centre. TERRIBLE Snapper of the ball.
think he is projected as OG with Center as secondary position.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #242
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dontay Moch OLB Nevada.... thoughts on him shooting up the boards? A potential selection for us at #11!?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #243
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Dontay Moch OLB Nevada.... thoughts on him shooting up the boards? A potential selection for us at #11!?
Way early. I have him as a 3rd/4th right now, but I could see him moving into the second. The first though? No way.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #244
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Way early. I have him as a 3rd/4th right now, but I could see him moving into the second. The first though? No way.
not too long, 2011 East-West Shrine Game Set for Jan. 22

Wade Phillips is coaching the West, so he will be coaching Dontay Moch first hand & while I can't see his stock skyrocket into the 1st rd. he could very well earn a solid 2nd rd. grade? Ian Williams, NT Notre Dame should also get a look possibly 3rd/4th rd. grade? I'm going to really be interested in how well Boise State DE/OLB Ryan Winterswke he reminds me of a poor mans Barwin.

here is my last mock I did a couple weeks ago-

Quote:
Texans Rounds 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Round 1, Pick# 11 - Stephen Paea, DT, 6-1 309 Texans fill long sought after inside presence 3-4 NT/4-3 UT. blessed with rare combination of quickness & strength adding much needed playmaking nasty to Texans DL.
Round 2, Pick# 10 - Chase Minnifield, CB, 6-0 185 Virginia, CB should help weak secondary production. Chase combination of cover ability & run support give him a shot to start sometime as a rookie.
Round 3, Pick# 9 - Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, 6-0 202 Temple Owl is a team leader, very smart with excellent range & tackle technique. Texans need to upgrad FS in the worst kind of way.
Round 4, Pick# 8 - Mark Herzlich, OLB, 6-3 238 Texans took Sharpton in the 4th instead of another TE & that proved to be a blessing. Texans need to adjust roster @ LB Mark has flexability to play anywhere needed.
Round 5, Pick# 7 - Ryan Winterswyk, DE/OLB, 6-3 263 Boise State Ryan Winterswyk played himself into the national spotlight, he would give the Texans some insurance as Connor Barwin comes back from devastating injury.
Round 6, Pick# 13 - Alex Linnenkohl, C, 6-02 303 Texans took OG Shelly last year & he made a name for himself on the practice squad. They bring back a solid core here but they like to develop them slowly & Myers is entering his 7th season.
Round 7, Pick# 12 - Derek Epperson, P, 6-3 230 Baylor home grown product to replace the aging one Matt Turk. Who says a 7th rd. picks can't start as rookies?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-13-2011   #245
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A guy who I don't see mentioned much here is Justin Houston out of Georgia, great pass rushing abilty with an explosive first step and good size at 6'3 260lbs.

Also has experience playing in a 3-4 at Georgia. Right now he's projected as a late first rounder but I could easily see him as a top 15- 20 pick come draft day.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #246
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
A guy who I don't see mentioned much here is Justin Houston out of Georgia, great pass rushing abilty with an explosive first step and good size at 6'3 260lbs.

Also has experience playing in a 3-4 at Georgia. Right now he's projected as a late first rounder but I could easily see him as a top 15- 20 pick come draft day.
Its hard to get alot of love on a defense that went 6-7. Just doesnt get alot of pub. He will get his chance to move up in the eyes of the nation in the combine. But I am sure the NFL scouts are well aware of Mr. Houston.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #247
beerlover
Site Contributor

Discuss our current Big Board.

first overall pick up for debate, I would like to move Prince Amukamara down to the 9-12 range, as I think his draft stock has fallen a bit, still waiting on Cam to make it official but expect him to do so. I'm ok with Fairley, but he is certainly not a lock to grade out as the #1 overall prospect. thoughts/moves?

1.Nick Fairley, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298
2. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU - 6'1 - 222
3. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212
4. Prince Amukamara, DB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205
5. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280
6. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, (Jr.), 6-5 235
7. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306
8. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268
9. Jake Locker, QB, Washington - 6'3 - 230
10. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250
11. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - 6'4" - 285
12. J.J. Watts, DE/DT, Wisconsin - 6'6 - 290
13. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State - 6'1 - 311
14. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - 6'6 - 238
15. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3 - 243
16. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - 5'11 - 195
17. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - 5'10 - 215
18. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami - 6'4 - 288
19. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State - 6'5 - 305
20. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 6'4 - 220
21. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue - 6'4 - 263
22. Tyron Smith, OT USC - 6-6 - 290
23. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - 6'4 - 283
24. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas - 6'1 - 192
25. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA - 6'4 - 255
26. Drake Nevis, DT LSU - 6'1 - 295
27. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - 6'5 - 230
28. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - 6'9 - 315
29. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame, (Jr.), 6-6, 265
30. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, Penn State, 6'3 298
31. Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA - 6'1 - 195
32. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois, (Jr.), 6-0, 230

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2011   #248
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO:

Ayers should be alot higher. Teens for sure.
Gabbert too high. But we have had this conversation before. What is so special about him? Or is he just the flavor of the month now that Luck went back to school? Help me out here guys?
I still like Prince top 8.
I dont think Fairley is #1, but I am fine with him there.
With Blackmon gone, I think Julio Jones should be around 15.
I would be ok with sliding Rudolph up a couple spots.
Also I am bleh on Newton. But I am indifferent because I know some sucker will draft him top 10.
Old 01-13-2011   #249
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
not too long, 2011 East-West Shrine Game Set for Jan. 22

Wade Phillips is coaching the West, so he will be coaching Dontay Moch first hand & while I can't see his stock skyrocket into the 1st rd. he could very well earn a solid 2nd rd. grade? Ian Williams, NT Notre Dame should also get a look possibly 3rd/4th rd. grade? I'm going to really be interested in how well Boise State DE/OLB Ryan Winterswke he reminds me of a poor mans Barwin.

here is my last mock I did a couple weeks ago-
Ah, my way early comment was his position in the draft (1st round), as opposed to to early to predict draft slot.

Your round estimations look pretty close to what I have, so I am not going to debate there. I will say that I think Winterswyck ends up a DE, not a 3-4 OLB.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #250
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
IMO:

Gabbert too high. But we have had this conversation before. What is so special about him? Or is he just the flavor of the month now that Luck went back to school? Help me out here guys?
Also I am bleh on Newton. But I am indifferent because I know some sucker will draft him top 10.
Agreed Ayers, Jones should move up. Gabbert is a commodity. I think he should have refined his game one more year but who can blame him once Luck pulled out. I do like his upside more than Locker or Newton so its hard to gauge. So for now move Prince down to #8 & just slide the others up one slot?

1. Nick Fairley, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298
4. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280
5. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, (Jr.), 6-5 235
6. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306
7. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268
8. Prince Amukamara, DB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-13-2011   #251
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Agreed Ayers, Jones should move up. Gabbert is a commodity. I think he should have refined his game one more year but who can blame him once Luck pulled out. I do like his upside more than Locker or Newton so its hard to gauge. So for now move Prince down to #8 & just slide the others up one slot?

I like it!
Old 01-13-2011   #252
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You know ... I think I'd take the Nevada QB who's name I can't say in the 5th before I'd take Locker or Newton in the 1st or 2nd .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #253
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You know ... I think I'd take the Nevada QB who's name I can't say in the 5th before I'd take Locker or Newton in the 1st or 2nd .
Colin Kaepernick. 5th rd. would be a good value, maybe you can use him in your mock draft

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-13-2011   #254
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Cam Newton has declared for the draft
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #255
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Cam Newton has declared for the draft
just saw that on espn. mentioned he was ranked as the #3 QB prospect for 2011 draft.

#1 Gabbert
#2 Locker
#3 Newton
#4 Mallett

tweaked it a bit, dropped Gabbert two spots & moved Dareus/Quinn up one respectively. Now how does it look (two DT's in the top 5 & almost 2 DE's)?

1. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298
5. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306
6. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268
7. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri, (Jr.), 6-5 235

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-14-2011   #256
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I saw one game of his playing Centre. TERRIBLE Snapper of the ball.
I would pass it off as Mike's first year playing at Center.
I don't think he's first round material at either G or C anyway.

I only watch a couple Steelers game this year.
His brother Maurkice played a little better than I expected.
I had him in the mid 20s.
I never thought he would be a Pro-Bowl selection in his first year.
Against the Ravens, he got bowled over by Suggs, got completely shoved back on his butt into the backfield.
(Wish I know how to make a vid so I can replace the Myers/Jenkins hoopla, lol)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #257
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I liked him since last year, but have not seen him this year but once in the bowl game a few days ago.
Can't grade him yet.

I like Kaepernick also since last year.
An interesting prospect in the 6th round.
He will fit right in with Schaub, giving that long-winded motion
He's been working on it (as did Schaub) and has shortened it more than Schaub (I think).
But he has an excuse: He's 93-mph fastball pitcher.
Old 01-14-2011   #258
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
IMO:

Saw Gabbert once against Nebraska.
Not impressed as a first rounder at this moment.

I don't know where to put Ayers, but if we can trade back to draft him and his teammate Moore, I wouldn't mind it at all.
(Haven't seen enough of them though.)
Old 01-14-2011   #259
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Whichever team that drafts Mallett would better give him room to step up in the pocket.
It's not his fault that he's too tall.
I don't see him as a bust like Jamarcus Russell, but his height can be a disadvantage for him at times.
Old 01-14-2011   #260
beerlover
Site Contributor

1. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn, (Jr.), 6-4, 298
5. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306
6. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268
7. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri, (Jr.), 6-5 235

1st of 4 parts (8 ea.) R we Good?

next up revist 9-16

9. Jake Locker, QB, Washington - 6'3 - 230
10. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250
11. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - 6'4" - 285
12. J.J. Watts, DE/DT, Wisconsin - 6'6 - 290
13. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State - 6'1 - 311
14. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - 6'6 - 238
15. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3 - 243
16. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - 5'11 - 195

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read