Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-19-2010   #181
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Board Thread

That's a solid Big Board.

Thanks for letting me help out a little!

The next time the Big Board will move will be when the Juniors declare and then when the Combine comes around.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #182
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
That's a solid Big Board.

Thanks for letting me help out a little!

The next time the Big Board will move will be when the Juniors declare and then when the Combine comes around.
thanks for your input.

its fluid & ever changing so the next draft board post underclassman decisions may have a different look. But I'm pretty good for the most part with results. I may re-post with more player information. I really like picks 1-21 after that kinda lost steam.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #183
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
thanks for your input.

its fluid & ever changing so the next draft board post underclassman decisions may have a different look. But I'm pretty good for the most part with results. I may re-post with more player information. I really like picks 1-21 after that kinda lost steam.
I think the board is kinda fluid right now. It will change after bowl game performances and once we know who is declaring and who is not.
Old 12-19-2010   #184
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Dont agree that Gabbert or Wisniewski are first round material.
on second thought I hope your right & the Texans select Wisniewski in the 2nd rd. That would make above average OL. Gabbert in 3rd to develop & become the franchise QB down the road

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-20-2010   #185
beerlover
Site Contributor

Default Re: RESULTS

Final Results Before Christmas Big Board
thanks for everyones input, could not have done it without all the help. made one change, taking out Gabbert (rumor is he is staying in school to raise his draft stock, good idea) & replaced him with LSU DT Drake Nevis. His 56 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 Int & 1 safety in the SEC has to get some notice.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - 6'4 - 235
Only question is will he declare?
2. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU - 6'1 - 222
Don't think he will end up this high, but man its gonna be fun to watch him play on Sundays
3. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212
Love his big play capability, next Moss.
4. Prince Amukamara, DB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205
Tenacious cover corner, has ability to be shutdown type.
5. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280
Most explosive DE in draft with size to match.
6. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn - 6'5 - 298
Came on strong this season for #1 Auburn, high motor DT.
7. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306
Could play the nose, disruptive size & speed @ point of attack.
8. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268
Some think he's the next Peppers, must be more consistant.
9. Jake Locker, QB, Washington - 6'3 - 230
Everything the Pro's look for size, arm strength & mobility.
10. Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250
Same as Locker, might however have some character concerns?
11. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - 6'4" - 285
Despite down year can fit a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE.
12. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - 6'1 - 205
If he returns to Cowboys will be a Top 10 pick next draft.
13. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State - 6'1 - 311
Maybe a little high but kid is a terrific, high motor, instinctive & strong DT.
14. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - 6'6 - 238
Some are going to love him others hate him, has mad game.
15. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3 - 243
Another reach here but gotta support Texas Football. Can play OLB in 3-4 or RDE in a 4-3.
16. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - 5'11 - 195
Most are saying he is the 3rd best CB in the draft. Looks the part but not as productive as one would like this high.
17. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - 5'10 - 215
Heck of a RB this late, could go higher to a team needing a true #1.
18. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami - 6'4 - 288
All the talent in the world to dominate, but inconsistant at best.
19. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State - 6'5 - 305
I don't think the top tackle on the board lasts this long but couldn't talk anyone else into it.
20. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 6'4 - 220
A steal here, love the way he uses body position to protect the ball, very smart well coached WR.
21. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue - 6'4 - 263
Ourlads has Ryan rated the #1 senior prospect, take it for what its worth.
22. Tyron Smith, OT USC - 6-6 - 290
Recently threw his name into the draft, a top LT prospect.
23. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - 6'4 - 283
Expect him to rise up board because of athletic ability/combine.
24. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas - 6'1 - 192
Once again a little home cook'in, but he does play the coveted CB position.
25. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA - 6'4 - 255
Great playmaker, think of a quicker, stronger DeMeco Ryans.
26. Drake Nevis, DT LSU - 6'1 - 295
Would be a great addition for the Texans if he slips into 2nd rd. changed him to 1st rd. based off his outstanding DT play in SEC.
27. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - 6'5 - 230
Great size speed combination like Pitt alum Fitzgerald.
28. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - 6'9 - 315
Some think he is the best tackle because of his size advantage & quick footwork.
29. Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida - 5'11 - 186
Can really lock down when needed, pretty solid end of 1st CB.
30. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, Penn State, 6'3 298
Sticking with Wisniewski, off production & pedigree, one of the safest bets in this draft class.
31. Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA - 6'1 - 195
Will help his draft stock with excellent forty, show great range on tape, playmaking ability & size for NFL FS position.
32. J.J. Watts, DE/DT, Wisconsin - 6'6 - 290
Sleeper pick who could rise up every 3-4 teams board.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-21-2010   #186
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RESULTS

So I guess we will target a safety in the 2nd round?

First round I am looking at DT, OLB, WR.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #187
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

OT Castonzo doesn't make the first round?
I haven't watched him play this year, but he looked good in both his sophomore and junior year.
Any idea?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2010   #188
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I haven't watched him play this year, but he looked good in both his sophomore and junior year.
Any idea?
Had to make a tough choice, he should receive ligitimate first round consideration but when Tyron Smith, USC, declared he was coming out early Castonzo a similar player drops behind him. Can improve his draft stock w/solid combine, lifting 30+ reps would help answer questions about strength. I like Boston College linemen, also like Wisconisin OL like Gabe Carimi (who I see as an Eric Winston, RT prospect).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-21-2010   #189
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any idea?
I put him in the first round. Very low. But with a good combine and limited competition, could rise as the best RT out there. But I wanna know why Kyle Rudolph aint gettin no love!

Quote:
21. Ryan Kerrigan
22. Aaron Williams
23. Cameron Jordan
24. Jon Baldwin
25. Drake Nevis
26. Akeem Ayers
27. Janoris Jenkins
28. Kyle Rudolph
29. Anthony Castonzo
30. Rodney Hudson
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #190
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I put him in the first round. Very low. But with a good combine and limited competition, could rise as the best RT out there. But I wanna know why Kyle Rudolph aint gettin no love!
evulsion of his right hamstring, being shutdown for season, entering early & being fully recovered for the combine.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-21-2010   #191
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any idea?

There is no clear cut first-round caliber OT available (no one like Ryan Clady or Jake Long). As for Castonzo, he has a lot of work ahead of him and when BC played UNC, he struggled mightily against Robert Quinn.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #192
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. After today's game we are currently sitting with the 6th draft position. Nick Fairley is 6th on your board....
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #193
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm, maybe we are rising into Prince range.
Old 12-27-2010   #194
beerlover
Site Contributor

I never thought in my wildest dreams the Texans would collapse this hard following "BYE" week (as I called it "Improvement Week"). The warning signs where there, Cowboys/Giants loss but surely thought Kubiak could rally this team & play 60 minutes of consistant football. Guess not

The thought here was to seek help from fellow board members to assemble a unbiased draft board to start thinking about next year, whoever is drafting/coaching the Texans. Is it perfect, hell no will it change hell yes but its a start. One thing for sure is we are several positions short, thats on the players they are the ones who cannot make the plays on the field. can't stop the run up the middle or defend the pass any position. the offense goes into shutdown mode when points are needed, they abandon the running game, Schaub continueally displays poor pocket presence & athletic ability to make wide open simple plays click. take your pick of position, they are all underachieving, coaching must convey a bung-hole tightening lose not to win mentallity. In position to win nearly every game yet find new ways to give it away, offensively, defensively & special teams they have no idea how to win.

I don't know if Parcells is interested in returning to football & re-build another franchise, but whoever uncle Bob brings in the Texans will have to trade players for draft picks, make wholesale changes & basicly blow the whole thing up becuase its not working, Kubiak & Smith have failed.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-27-2010   #195
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never thought in my wildest dreams the Texans would collapse this hard following "BYE" week (as I called it "Improvement Week"). The warning signs where there, Cowboys/Giants loss but surely thought Kubiak could rally this team & play 60 minutes of consistant football. Guess not

The thought here was to seek help from fellow board members to assemble a unbiased draft board to start thinking about next year, whoever is drafting/coaching the Texans. Is it perfect, hell no will it change hell yes but its a start. One thing for sure is we are several positions short, thats on the players they are the ones who cannot make the plays on the field. can't stop the run up the middle or defend the pass any position. the offense goes into shutdown mode when points are needed, they abandon the running game, Schaub continueally displays poor pocket presence & athletic ability to make wide open simple plays click. take your pick of position, they are all underachieving, coaching must convey a bung-hole tightening lose not to win mentallity. In position to win nearly every game yet find new ways to give it away, offensively, defensively & special teams they have no idea how to win.

I don't know if Parcells is interested in returning to football & re-build another franchise, but whoever uncle Bob brings in the Texans will have to trade players for draft picks, make wholesale changes & basicly blow the whole thing up becuase its not working, Kubiak & Smith have failed.
Not necessarily, It's true Smithiak have failed. But alot of pieces are in place. The new regime needs to find some toughness on the OL/DL and a true playmaker at OLB. That is why a Parcells/Cowher type HC/VP is needed. They teach toughness. Cowher started out as a LB coach and Parcells had probably the greatest group of LB's in the history of the Nfl with the NYG.

Oh that and fixing the secondary. Luckily this is a deep draft for NT/DB's and interior OL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #196
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not necessarily, It's true Smithiak have failed. But alot of pieces are in place. The new regime needs to find some toughness on the OL/DL and a true playmaker at OLB. That is why a Parcells/Cowher type HC/VP is needed. They teach toughness. Cowher started out as a LB coach and Parcells had probably the greatest group of LB's in the history of the Nfl with the NYG.

Oh that and fixing the secondary. Luckily this is a deep draft for NT/DB's and interior OL.
This seems to be becoming a two camp scenario. Do the Texans have most of the pieces already in place just misused, under coached or they don't have the talent as a whole and need alot more than a few key pieces?

Can there be a concensus?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #197
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think outside the secondary we have the pieces needed to make a playoff run.

Maybe another good DT and we'd be golden in the front 7.
Old 12-27-2010   #198
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans needs according to me in order:

DT - Replace Cody, but keep Cody for depth
FS - Upgrade over Nolan/Wilson, but keep one for depth
CB - Just need help here
L or R Tackle - I like the idea of replacing Brown, but moving him to LG or RG
WLB - I think Sharpton will be the WLB next year, but we need more LB depth
WR - Simliar to LB, we need depth here, and someone like a McCluster that can return kicks/punts
Punter - Punting should be the second easiest job in the NFL, long snapper being the first. Turk is unquestionably hurting this team with his poor performance. I hope they draft one in the 7th to round out the draft, or bring in at least 2 UDFAs to compete.
Old 12-28-2010   #199
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Good list. I'd throw SS in there too. I hate Pollard back there.
Old 12-28-2010   #200
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Good list. I'd throw SS in there too. I hate Pollard back there.

We just need to find a solid FS in the backfield and let Pollard do what he's supposed to which is knock the krap outta people. He's like having an extra LB that can hit so I would keep him just to see if anything changes in his game next season.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read