Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-06-2010   #1
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dandy Don Meredith passed away

Turn out the lights, the party's over.
(I mean that in the most respectful way)

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5890812

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dandy Don Meredith passed away

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post

Turn out the lights, the party's over.
(I mean that in the most respectful way)

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5890812
Just heard that on the radio. R.I.P. Dandy.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #3
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

R.I.P.
Don Meredith, the Dallas Cowboys and SMU quarterback and Monday Night Football icon, died Sunday evening in Santa Fe, N.M. He was 72.
Meredith died at Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, a hospital spokesman confirmed this morning.
Meredith's wife, Susan, told The Associated Press on Monday her husband died in Santa Fe after suffering a brain hemorrhage and lapsing into a coma. She says a private graveside ceremony is being planned and that family members were traveling to Santa Fe.
"He was the best there was," she said, describing him as kind, warm and funny. "We lost a good one."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.8ac4895.html
Old 12-06-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Heard it this morning. RIP Dandy!!
Old 12-06-2010   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just read this and wondered if it was posted. My favorite Cowboy from day-one. I once read a book written by Walt Garrison and he told a great story about Meredith which I'll try and tell from memory.

They just played the Giants in New York and were getting on the plane to Dallas. The weather was horrible and many Cowdoys were pretty nervous about the wisdom of this flight.

Sure enough, right after take-off they hit an air pocket and suddenly the plane feels like it's plummeting to the ground. Walt, many other Cowboys, and some flight attendant hit the ground screaming.

Walt looks back toward Dandy Don as Walt is on the ground terrified and sees Don smoking a cigarette, drink in hand, and Walt said he heard Don say, "Well, it's been a good'un."

That story, if true, make Don the coolest sumbitch on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Don, you sure were a good'un. RIP.
Old 12-06-2010   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The combination of Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meridith were the best broadcasting team ever in my opinion. They complimented each other very well and their voices sounded like football.

This is from 1973. Can't imagine the problems if this conservation took place today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkgcFj6MJQ

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #7
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston oilers at 1-11. Ouch,
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2010   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
Houston oilers at 1-11. Ouch,
Lol, I didn't know Gillette had twin-blade razors then. I was 10 and had a few years to go before I cared.
Old 12-06-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. RIP Dandy! I enjoyed watching him play, and enjoyed him in the booth even more.
Old 12-06-2010   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I have reached a point in my life where all of these people who I grew up watching on TV, or heard about in the news, went to the movies to see, or just the people my parents used to talk about, the people who I associate my childhood with, are all dying off.

Damn I am getting old!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The combination of Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meridith were the best broadcasting team ever in my opinion. They complimented each other very well and their voices sounded like football.

This is from 1973. Can't imagine the problems if this conservation took place today.
Man, I have to get me some of that "Dry look"...

RIP Dan... I'm too young to have been lucky enough to watch you, but I've always enjoyed watching your highlights and classic clips. You seemed like a real dude, a really cool laid back dude that anybody could've just walked up to and started a conversation with. Seems like the kind of person you would enjoy drinking a beer or two with.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #12
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvPffNKLoI0
"Welcome to the Mile High City, ... and I really am." -Dandy Don
Old 12-06-2010   #13
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Dandy Don. He was a hell of a person, on and off the field, and great in the booth.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

On October 9, 1972, the Oakland Raiders were heading for a 34-0 thumping of the Houston Oilers (Oakland's 3rd win in as many MNF appearances, scoring 34 points each). As the fans emptied from the Astrodome stands during the final quarter, the cameras found a wonderful shot.........a fan seemingly alone in his section.......sleeping. "A vivid picturization of the excitement attendant upon this game", was what Howard Cosell called the image of the sleeping man. Then, unfortunate, the man woke up, and less fortunately, "flipped off" the camera. Without missing a beat, Meredith commented, "He thinks they're number one in the nation." It was another four seasons before the Oilers appeared again on MNF and two more years after that before Houston hosted another Monday night game.

Only one of many memories given us by this old team classy Cowboy. RIP, Don.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
On October 9, 1972, the Oakland Raiders were heading for a 34-0 thumping of the Houston Oilers (Oakland's 3rd win in as many MNF appearances, scoring 34 points each). As the fans emptied from the Astrodome stands during the final quarter, the cameras found a wonderful shot.........a fan seemingly alone in his section.......sleeping. "A vivid picturization of the excitement attendant upon this game", was what Howard Cosell called the image of the sleeping man. Then, unfortunate, the man woke up, and less fortunately, "flipped off" the camera. Without missing a beat, Meredith commented, "He thinks they're number one in the nation." It was another four seasons before the Oilers appeared again on MNF and two more years after that before Houston hosted another Monday night game.

Only one of many memories given us by this old team classy Cowboy. RIP, Don.

I remember that well. And that shot of the dude has been played many, many times...
Old 12-06-2010   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Dandy Don. An all around 'class act'.
Old 12-06-2010   #17
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Whoever's voice that is in the start of the clip, its almost like he's telling a story. R.I.P. Don...
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Whoever's voice that is in the start of the clip, its almost like he's telling a story. R.I.P. Don...
That's Howard Cosell
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #19
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I remember that well. And that shot of the dude has been played many, many times...
Anyone know if that guy's still in H-Town? Might need him at a couple of games down the road to share some of our thoughts...
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Anyone know if that guy's still in H-Town? Might need him at a couple of games down the road to share some of our thoughts...
Yeah, I think it was Thorn when he was just a lad...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read