Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pollard to WLB? Quinn to FS?

I know fans are often trying to imagine players at different positions and thinking that they may play better somewhere other than where they are at, but what do you think about these moves?

I think Quinn could play the FS position very effectively. He has good enough range for that position and he is a good tackler.

Pollard does really well in the box. He is a good tackler and he is an effective blitzer. I don't know how he'd respond to being in the box on every single play and having to take on O-linemen more than he does now, but I think he could adjust.

His coverage skills aren't great, but for a LB they should be above average. I honestly think he could get it done.

I think it is a bit harder to project Quinn to the FS position because of how different it is from corner mentally. He'd have to be aware of a lot more. Physically, I think he could do it, but I just have no clue about the mental aspect of it.

I am not here saying that I believe either of these moves would be sure fire solutions, but rather providing reasons for why I think they may work.

What do you guys think?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #2
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pollard to WLB? Quinn to FS?

Sounds good Rey because he cannot cover well to a DB's expectations...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #3
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree completely, I started a thread yesterday saying the same things, now that ive given it some food for thought.

Pollard to WSLB is becoming a more and more of an ample solution.

When we sit down and look at things, we have the youngest corners in the NFL BUT then we have a SS who is maybe the worst cover SS in the NFL "ouch"...

If any of us thought our secondary would be anything other than Average this year were strongly mistaken.
Gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #4
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I like the Pollard to WOLB move a lot on paper. I've been saying our LB corps is too heavy and that hurts them in the passing game. Pollard is only a little bit lighter than the average NFL WOLB. I think he'd do well there. Quin to FS I have serious doubts about though.

Oh and our coaches will never ever do this. Most conservative coaches in the NFL probably, there is no way this will happen.
Old 12-04-2010   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it someone should suggest that to Kubes

Quinn should stay CB tho and get someone else to play SS like Mcmanis or nolan or anybody but Pollard
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #6
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

To suggest that Pollard is a good tackler requires a very liberal definition of "tackling". How many times has Pollard tried that one armed half-ass tackle while running right past whoever he is supposed to be tackling? I wouldn't be too excited at the prospect of seeing Pollard juked out of his boots on every other running play. Plus, we don't have anyone better to put at SS so therefore we are just creating bigger voids where there are already big voids.

As for Quin to FS - I'll pass on that too. Quin seems to actually be figuring out his position. He has a long way to go before he could even be called a good CB, but I at least see him progressing (which is more than can be said of KJ and especially McCain). This would be the worst possible time to switch him from his natural position. Also, again, who takes his place at CB? McCain? Eff no.
Old 12-04-2010   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Pollard to WLB is laughable. Dude isn't nearly large enough to take on blocks consistently and his tackling ability is lackluster. Pretty poor idea.

Quin to FS, I have no idea and neither should anybody else who hasn't seen him play there. Safety and corner are two completely different positions and require different skill sets. Quin really isn't a very good tackler either, he isn't bad but he isn't good. He makes some good tackles here and there but he also misses his share of easy tackles.

How about acquiring a real FS, and a real WLB? Diles is pretty much trash right now. With different coaching I am sure he could improve but I don't know to what extent. He takes horrible angles. If we move Quin to FS we need to add a corner, on top of the one or two we already need. Seems easier to me to just add new players.

JMO
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2010   #8
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think Pollard to WLB is laughable. Dude isn't nearly large enough to take on blocks consistently and his tackling ability is lackluster. Pretty poor idea.

JMO
Okay soo its a concesus that pollard is below average in coverage, He is a lack luster tackler.

Time to move on from pollard then?
Old 12-04-2010   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quin has been the only CB to actually play the last couple of games - would we really want Jackson and McCain as our two starting corners and then move him to FS? I don't get that...

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #10
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude weighs 224. That's barely 5lbs away from most of the 4-3 WLBs in the league. He could put on 5lbs and be average weight at the position.

And his tackling isn't that bad. I mean, it might LOOK bad, but I think that's because he is getting de-coached just like the rest of our defense. And of course, our scheme blows. Dude was solid last year, an entire squad doesn't regress like that unless it's coaching. I'm not about to call him a bad tackler.
Old 12-04-2010   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Dude weighs 224. That's barely 5lbs away from most of the 4-3 WLBs in the league. He could put on 5lbs and be average weight at the position.

And his tackling isn't that bad. I mean, it might LOOK bad, but I think that's because he is getting de-coached just like the rest of our defense. And of course, our scheme blows. Dude was solid last year, an entire squad doesn't regress like that unless it's coaching. I'm not about to call him a bad tackler.
To each his own, he is a pretty poor tackler IMO. He may get a big hit here and there but he also misses tackles left and right.

Pollard = 224 lbs
Diles = 245 lbs
Adibi = 242 lbs

Diles and Adibi aren't even holding up against OL at their size. Pick a team, any team, and show me successful 230 lb LBers.
Old 12-04-2010   #12
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymrat2005 View Post
Okay soo its a concesus that pollard is below average in coverage, He is a lack luster tackler.

Time to move on from pollard then?
Honestly, with the exception of Brice McCain who is just crap anyway you slice it, I don't want to see anyone cut from the defense until we see how they perform under a DC that actually knows something about defense. The schemes are terrible and there's no cohesion, therefore it's hard to say exactly who sucks and whose a victim of bad coaching.
Old 12-04-2010   #13
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Quote:
To each his own, he is a pretty poor tackler IMO. He may get a big hit here and there but he also misses tackles left and right.

Pollard = 224 lbs
Diles = 245 lbs
Adibi = 242 lbs

Diles and Adibi aren't even holding up against OL at their size. Pick a team, any team, and show me successful 230 lb LBers.
colts
Old 12-04-2010   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymrat2005 View Post
colts
All listed at between 235-240.

And...

They give up 136 yards per game on the ground. That's 29th.

Not only would he have to add weight and strength but he needs to learn the position. Waste of time and talk IMO.
Old 12-04-2010   #15
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Quote:

Pollard = 224 lbs
Diles = 245 lbs
Adibi = 242 lbs

Try this thread. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76760
You should learn more about LB weight before talking so much about it.

Starting WLBs for various teams:

Giants 223
Saints 226
Eagles 230
Falcons 230
Bears 230
Panthers 231

And I'm only looking at 4-3 teams. Some have WLBs in the mid 230s and low 240s, sure. But it isn't necessary by a long shot. And some of the best 4-3 defenses are those listed.
Old 12-04-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This cant be done at this time. It's too late in the season to make these kinds of drastic changes.

I would be all for drafting a CB like Brandon Harris in rd 1 and moving Quin to FS. Coverage and tackling would immediately improve. In fact if you think the season is over giving Quin experience at FS to see how he does would be a prudent thing to do. You could also give McMannis some experience too. This would be a win-win situation. IMHO

No to Pollard at the WLB. Not enough size to hold up on regular basis. They need to draft an OLB in rd 1/2. IMHO A real difference maker at Diles position. (Miller or Herzlich would fit the bill)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Try this thread. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76760

Starting WLBs for various teams:

Giants 223 Michael Boley is 223.
Saints 226 Shanle is 245. Danny Clark is 233.
Eagles 230 Ernie Sims is 230 and strong as an ox. Either way he hasn't played that well, and that's coming from a Florida State fan. Fokou is 236.
Falcons 230 Mike Peterson is 233. Witherspoon is 239.
Bears 230 Lance Briggs is 242. Nick Roach is 234.
Panthers 231 Nick Harris is 232. Abdul Hodge is 238.

And I'm only looking at 4-3 teams. Some have WLBs in the mid 230s and low 240s, sure. But it isn't necessary by a long shot. And some of the best 4-3 defenses are those listed.
So you've got a guy who probably needs to add 10 pounds if his listing his correct in Pollard. He needs to learn a new position, and needs to improve his tackling alot.

What's the point? Why not just get a new player?

Quote:
You should learn more about LB weight before talking so much about it.
Should probably get your numbers right. You've got one guy at Pollard's weight. One guy. Add 5 pounds and you still aren't at where most smaller linebackers are.

You can just look at Pollard and see that he isn't near the size of a linebacker.
Old 12-04-2010   #18
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should probably get your numbers right. You've got one guy at Pollard's weight. One guy. Add 5 pounds and you still aren't at where most smaller linebackers are.

You can just look at Pollard and see that he isn't near the size of a linebacker.
Bernard Pollard is 6'1" and around 230 lbs.

That's the average size of a WLB. I remember discussing about Sean Witherspoon, a WLB. In college, he weighed 250 lbs and many people were saying he was a little bit too big to play WLB. He now plays at around 240 lbs.
Old 12-04-2010   #19
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Quote:
So you've got a guy who probably needs to add 10 pounds if his listing his correct in Pollard. He needs to learn a new position, and needs to improve his tackling alot.

What's the point? Why not just get a new player?

Ah, I forgot to say I was assuming the lightest of the 3 starting LBs was the Will. I dunno where you got your stats, I got mine from team websites and NFLs website. Many sites don't say who is Will or Sam, so I just got weights on the 3 starters. Look at the thread.

Like I said, add 5 lbs and he is WLB size. 229lbs. Oh my god, sorry, I guess he should add 6lbs to be 230. lol.

You said he's too small. He's not. You said show me a 230lb linebacker. There are dozens of LBs in the NFL that are between 226-235. And Pollard isn't fat... he's lean, he could easily gain 5lbs, probably 10, on his frame.

It would take minimal effort for him to be LB size. Get over it.
Old 12-04-2010   #20
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Oh, on top of that, our other LBs are super heavy. So it's not like we would be severely under-weight with a 230lb WLB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read