Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2010   #1
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2011 Texans Defense: A new Breed?

Before I start this off let me tell all of you that I understand why Kansas City put Pollard on waivers and let him go, we thought they were the stupidest group of people in the NFL but i now realize why they did such a thing.

Basically this is the way i see it.

Our defense is bad, really bad sooo bad that in order for us to even be manigable next season some drastic things need to be done.

4-3 ( 4 Down Linemen, 3 Linebackers)

If we dont atleast change our DC next season and we stick with the 4-3 we need to go out and Draft Preferably the most gifted and talented ball hawk safety in the draft ASAP, even if it means having to move into the top 5 and trading away 2012's 2nd and 3rd.

The next step is moving Bernard Pollard to Will (weak side linebacker), ask him to gain 5-10 pounds in the offseason of muscle and theres a Above average Linebacker who's specialty is Coverage.Brian Urlacher played safety in college soo for all of you who think it cant be done think again.

3-4 (3 Down Linemen, 4 Linebackers)

This defense is very deceptive and requires more hybrid and Athletic players than we currently have on this roster, it would require a massive overhaul within the draft and free agency, we would need a NT, Marcel Darious has NT written all over him or even a 3-4 Defensive End.

Cut pollard if we got to the 3-4, he cant cover, and i know he can lay the wood, but the Secondary's Job is to Cover.

BUT back to my original statement, I no longer want Pollard as our starting SS,not with this years Secondary maybe if we draft a true Ballhawk FS we could manage it but until then no.
Gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 Texans Defense: A new Breed?

Pollard gonna knock the piss out of you
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Pollard gonna knock the piss out of you
Last night on the eagles opening drive, down at the goal line Pollard was in charge of covering the tightend who waltzed into the endzone with pollard 5 yards behind grabbing at air.

Old 12-03-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymrat2005 View Post
Last night on the eagles opening drive, down at the goal line Pollard was in charge of covering the tightend who waltzed into the endzone with pollard 5 yards behind grabbing at air.

I didn't say Pollard would cover you...

He is a force in run defense and a liability in pass defense. He needs a very good FS next to him.
Old 12-03-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just get the FS. How blatantly stupid can this organization be? I don't know about all that other stuff, and I'd like to see a couple of large, bruiser DTs and stop with all this stunt stuff. I also like a 3-4 that disguises many blitz packages, but just get a FS for crying out loud...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I didn't say Pollard would cover you...

He is a force in run defense and a liability in pass defense. He needs a very good FS next to him.
JB, normally we agree but last night Pollard got his juked out of his jock strap quite a few times last night, it was not good. His tackling this year is a bit spotty at times.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #7
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
His tackling this year is a bit spotty at times.
I think that is being kind.
Old 12-03-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
JB, normally we agree but last night Pollard got his juked out of his jock strap quite a few times last night, it was not good. His tackling this year is a bit spotty at times.
Yeah, I know. But I got to be in denial about something. I think that everyone on the defense is trying to do too much. But Pollard has been very bad the last few games.
Old 12-03-2010   #9
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Was that the play that was very close to an illegal pick play or the one where Polllard and Cushing cut each other off essentially picking each other.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #10
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Was that the play that was very close to an illegal pick play or the one where Polllard and Cushing cut each other off essentially picking each other.
I have no idea man but it was the opening drive, you can only score once per drive. After i saw it i threw my $275 phone at the wall and it shattered into pieces im just really sick and tired of everyone on this board drinking the pollard koolaid. He's great for PR, he's great in run support, and he's great in the locker room or what is perceived.

But he's a safety, he is the last line of our defense, we should of drafted earl thomas last year, the FS out of texas. 4 games into the season this year had had like 3 picks and was being talked up for a possible DROY award. I'm 19 years old, I dont want to be 30 before this team gets its first Superbowl.

Last edited by Gymrat2005; 12-03-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Wrong player name
Old 12-03-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have no idea man but it was the opening drive, you can only score once per drive. After i saw it i threw my $275 phone at the wall and it shattered into pieces im just really sick and tired of everyone on this board drinking the pollard koolaid. He's great for PR, he's great in run support, and he's great in the locker room or what is perceived.

But he's a safety, he is the last line of our defense, we should of drafted earl mitchell last year, the FS out of texas. 4 games into the season this year had had like 3 picks and was being talked up for a possible DROY award. I'm 19 years old, I dont want to be 30 before this team gets its first Superbowl.
Damn! And I thought I was drunk!
Old 12-03-2010   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But he's a safety, he is the last line of our defense, we should of drafted earl mitchell last year, the FS out of texas. 4 games into the season this year had had like 3 picks and was being talked up for a possible DROY award. I'm 19 years old, I dont want to be 30 before this team gets its first Superbowl.
I said the same thing in 2002.........I will be 32 in February.............
Old 12-03-2010   #13
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont want to be 30 before this team gets its first Superbowl.
Wow, I guess I'm not the only one that thought that. I said that a couple years ago. I'm 29 now. I'll be 30 next season.

Old 12-03-2010   #14
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats wrong with 30?

Not to make you feel worse, but we havent even had a playoff showing before you turn(ed) 30.

I just hope Im not on my death bed having never seen the Texans in a playoff or SB
Old 12-03-2010   #15
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see us changing to a 3/4 next season. Not only do we not have the players to do so, we won't have the time with the potential lockout. I am in complete agreement about the FS need. But take a look at the draft prospects, and you might see there isn't a FS that worthy of a top 10 pick. BP should continue to start, but should come out in passing situations. I guess the real question is, who will replace him during that time?
Old 12-04-2010   #16
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
I don't see us changing to a 3/4 next season. Not only do we not have the players to do so, we won't have the time with the potential lockout. I am in complete agreement about the FS need. But take a look at the draft prospects, and you might see there isn't a FS that worthy of a top 10 pick. BP should continue to start, but should come out in passing situations. I guess the real question is, who will replace him during that time?
niel rackers
80tothezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #17
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

A new Breed
would be better than
The Walking Dead!
Old 12-04-2010   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont want to be 30 before this team gets its first Superbowl.
30?????

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
30?????

younguns.... what should we do with 'em?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pollard got picked on that play. Under the rules there should have been a flag but it is a rarely enforced penalty. Should have picked a different play as an illustration of poor coverage.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read