Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2010   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The next 5 year plan

Lets assume, for the purpose of this exercise that Kubiak is fired at the end of the year. Now without getting into specifics with regard to all the different directions we could take as far as the head coach and his staff, what kind of success does the team need to have within a 5 year period for you to be happy with where we are at?

A quick history lesson:

Dom Capers: 18 wins, 46 losses .281 winning % No playoff appearances no playoff wins: We pretty much sucked.

Gary Kubiak: currently 35 wins, 39 losses .473 winning % No playoff appearances no playoff wins: Actually quite an improvement over Dom but it doesn't really feel like it and even if it did, its still not good enough.

For reference, here are a couple guys at the high end of the scale that we could hope to aspire to but would have a very difficult time approaching their level of success:

Andy Reid: 115 wins, 70 losses .622 winning % 8 playoff appearances including a Super Bowl, 10 playoff wins and 8 losses.

And the gold standard;

Bill Belichick(with NE): 121 wins, 50 losses .708 winning % 7 playoff appearances, 3 Super Bowl wins and 1 loss, 14 playoff wins and 4 losses.

We would have to hit the coaching lottery to have similar success so its not impossible but shouldn't be expected. So what can we expect? I'll throw out another case that has been mentioned on these boards for quite some time and its a guy I think would be the absolute best case scenario:

Mike Smith: 29 wins, 14 losses .674 winning % 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins.

Probably too much to hope for but not impossible. I do, however, have a track record that I think we could be able to reproduce. That is the level of success that Mike Holmgren had while he was in Seattle.

Mike Holmgren, Seattle: 86 wins, 74 losses .541 winning % 6 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl loss, 4 playoff wins, 6 losses

Why Holmgren you ask? It all starts with the QB. Schaub has reminded me of Hasselbeck since the day he got here. In GB with Favre Holmgren posted a .670 winning %. He couldn't repeat that without old faithful but I think Schaub compares favorably to what he was working with in Seattle. The high end coaches I listed for reference also had/have some all-time greats at QB and Matt Ryan could be one before its all said and done. Therefore:

Mystery Texans future coach: about a 55% winning percentage in the regular season with a couple playoff appearances and at least 1 win within the first 5 years. I think I could live with that, what would it take for you? Am I being too lenient or are my expectations too lofty for an organization that hasn't proved anything so far?
Old 12-03-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The next 5 year plan

I want to see a Houston NFL team win a Super Bowl before I head to the great starship in the sky.

So, a high winning percentage in the playoffs but no Super Bowl win is like getting a piece of cake with no icing. The cake is nice, haven't had any in years, but I'd like a little icing as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
...what kind of success does the team need to have within a 5 year period for you to be happy with where we are at?

Ummm... the whole point of all this moaning is that 5 years is too much time to make any organization win the Super Bowl. So with that being the precedent, I think any new coach(es) should be on maximum 2 year contracts otherwise we'll end with everyone's panties in a twist again. Instead of being Denver East, we'll be more like Dallas South, but without all that worrisome playoff business. Hell, maybe we could even recruit TO, I think we're the only team he hasn't played for now?

PS - Throw out Andy Reid and Holmgren. They script their plays
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Ummm... the whole point of all this moaning is that 5 years is too much time to make any organization win the Super Bowl. So with that being the precedent, I think any new coach(es) should be on maximum 2 year contracts otherwise we'll end with everyone's panties in a twist again. Instead of being Denver East, we'll be more like Dallas South, but without all that worrisome playoff business. Hell, maybe we could even recruit TO, I think we're the only team he hasn't played for now?

PS - Throw out Andy Reid and Holmgren. They script their plays
Plenty of other threads to clutter with your sarcasm hoss.
Old 12-03-2010   #5
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Plenty of other threads to clutter with your sarcasm hoss.
Forgot. Toe the party line around here or else. My apologies.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not really sure what you think my post is about, I want Kubiak gone and I'm trying to envision what level of success the next head coach needs to achieve for me to feel good about the Texans.
Old 12-03-2010   #7
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay so, Capers led our team to shit, Kubiak led us to being respectable and within a few plays each year (literally) of making the playoffs/winning the division. The next staff needs to shore up our shortcomings, change the culture, and get at least 10 wins a year. Once in the playoffs , we'll judge then. If we repeatedly get into the playoffs and get bounced every year in the same fashion, then we'll have to get someone else to push us over the next hill to the Super Bowl.

If we're gonna be good, let's be good. If we're gonna suck, let's suck. It kills me every year over the last few years that a few plays caused this team to go 8-8 or 9-7 instead of 11-5, or even 12-4.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2010   #8
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

The only way to win the Superbowl is to be a playoff team, period. We need to get to the playoffs, first.

While I would love to have a team win the superbowl, I would certainly settle for a perennial contender like the Stros of the 90s.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #9
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Okay so, Capers led our team to shit, Kubiak led us to being respectable and within a few plays each year (literally) of making the playoffs/winning the division. The next staff needs to shore up our shortcomings, change the culture, and get at least 10 wins a year. Once in the playoffs , we'll judge then. If we repeatedly get into the playoffs and get bounced every year in the same fashion, then we'll have to get someone else to push us over the next hill to the Super Bowl.

If we're gonna be good, let's be good. If we're gonna suck, let's suck. It kills me every year over the last few years that a few plays caused this team to go 8-8 or 9-7 instead of 11-5, or even 12-4.
Was it really Capers? Or was it Casserly's picks/trades/free agents that caused the debacle?
Old 12-03-2010   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
Was it really Capers? Or was it Casserly's picks/trades/free agents that caused the debacle?
All the above. They were both playing above what should be their pay grade. Peter principal at its finest.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everything.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #12
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I want to see a Houston NFL team win a Super Bowl before I head to the great starship in the sky.

So, a high winning percentage in the playoffs but no Super Bowl win is like getting a piece of cake with no icing. The cake is nice, haven't had any in years, but I'd like a little icing as well.
I'm with you Thorn. I too getting up there as well. (Not dirty but old)
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #13
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

U forgot one and he wants to come here according to NFL network

Bill Cower

W-149
L-90
W%-62.3
Superbowl -1
conference championships 2
division championships 9

BIG step up from Kubes a proven coach that wants to come here ? why not fire kubes yesterday and grab him
80tothezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I'll take the cake any day. Icing is just that, icing
Old 12-04-2010   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets assume, for the purpose of this exercise that Kubiak is fired at the end of the year. Now without getting into specifics with regard to all the different directions we could take as far as the head coach and his staff, what kind of success does the team need to have within a 5 year period for you to be happy with where we are at?

A quick history lesson:

Dom Capers: 18 wins, 46 losses .281 winning % No playoff appearances no playoff wins: We pretty much sucked.

Gary Kubiak: currently 35 wins, 39 losses .473 winning % No playoff appearances no playoff wins: Actually quite an improvement over Dom but it doesn't really feel like it and even if it did, its still not good enough.

For reference, here are a couple guys at the high end of the scale that we could hope to aspire to but would have a very difficult time approaching their level of success:

Andy Reid: 115 wins, 70 losses .622 winning % 8 playoff appearances including a Super Bowl, 10 playoff wins and 8 losses.

And the gold standard;

Bill Belichick(with NE): 121 wins, 50 losses .708 winning % 7 playoff appearances, 3 Super Bowl wins and 1 loss, 14 playoff wins and 4 losses.

We would have to hit the coaching lottery to have similar success so its not impossible but shouldn't be expected. So what can we expect? I'll throw out another case that has been mentioned on these boards for quite some time and its a guy I think would be the absolute best case scenario:

Mike Smith: 29 wins, 14 losses .674 winning % 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins.

Probably too much to hope for but not impossible. I do, however, have a track record that I think we could be able to reproduce. That is the level of success that Mike Holmgren had while he was in Seattle.

Mike Holmgren, Seattle: 86 wins, 74 losses .541 winning % 6 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl loss, 4 playoff wins, 6 losses

Why Holmgren you ask? It all starts with the QB. Schaub has reminded me of Hasselbeck since the day he got here. In GB with Favre Holmgren posted a .670 winning %. He couldn't repeat that without old faithful but I think Schaub compares favorably to what he was working with in Seattle. The high end coaches I listed for reference also had/have some all-time greats at QB and Matt Ryan could be one before its all said and done. Therefore:

Mystery Texans future coach: about a 55% winning percentage in the regular season with a couple playoff appearances and at least 1 win within the first 5 years. I think I could live with that, what would it take for you? Am I being too lenient or are my expectations too lofty for an organization that hasn't proved anything so far?
I am not trying to be a smartass here at all. But for some reason when I read the last paragraph of your post the name Brian Billick came to mind. I personally never liked him as a coach and do not want him here, so no idea why his name came to mind. But since the name popped in my head, I went and checked and he has a career winning percentage of .556, his career playoff record is 5-3, and he has won a Super Bowl. Like I said, not trying to be a smartass. Whether Kubiak stays or goes or whatever, McNair needs to realize the time is now, our next coach needs to be a proven leader and a proven winner. I have no idea why I even posted this, but I have been up since 4 unable to sleep, so maybe I am a little delirious....
Old 12-04-2010   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
I am not trying to be a smartass here at all. But for some reason when I read the last paragraph of your post the name Brian Billick came to mind. I personally never liked him as a coach and do not want him here, so no idea why his name came to mind. But since the name popped in my head, I went and checked and he has a career winning percentage of .556, his career playoff record is 5-3, and he has won a Super Bowl. Like I said, not trying to be a smartass. Whether Kubiak stays or goes or whatever, McNair needs to realize the time is now, our next coach needs to be a proven leader and a proven winner. I have no idea why I even posted this, but I have been up since 4 unable to sleep, so maybe I am a little delirious....
Even though I posted specific coach's records I'm not lobbying for them to become the coach and if they did I certainly wouldn't expect the exact winning percentage they put up previously. I don't expect Mike Holmgren to be our next head coach, I want our next head coach to have similar success to what Holmgren had while he was in Seattle. As far as Billick, I don't really want him to be our next HC but if our next HC could do for us what Billick did in Baltimore I would be very pleased.
Old 12-04-2010   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both. Capers most definitely was part of the carnal assault on the pooch. He was a defensive guru who did little to nothing with the D. Look at how Green Bay plays when he actually calls the D v. how we played under Fangio. Instead of sticking to what he knew he stuck his nose into the O that he didn't know. Totally bass akwards HC.
Old 12-04-2010   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

How many years has Jack del rio had John FOX i think kubes stays IMO depending on how these last games pan out
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #19
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your posts are bad.

Sincerely,

wagonhed
Old 12-05-2010   #20
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
How many years has Jack del rio had John FOX i think kubes stays IMO depending on how these last games pan out
This is Del Rio's 8th season, Fox's 9th season. Funny thing is both Fox and Del Rio have finished a season above .500 three times each. Unless we get totally embarassed in the remaining games, I do not see McNair making a change in head coach. Just my opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read