Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2010   #1
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Team...um, well, coach you DON'T want

Just an opinion of mine.

If Kubiak gets his pink slip, there is little to no chance Bob McNair will hire on these big names. Not going to happen. So if you happen to see Gary Kubiak, you know, the dude with the aggie milkman haircut, the coach you might see is a Brad Childress or some retread that has coaching experience, but not a BIG name.

If I'm wrong, then fine, I'll admit I was wrong, but it's just a feeling/opinion I have.
Old 12-03-2010   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team...um, well, coach you DON'T want

I don't want any form of college coach. I don't care how well they did, it just doesn't work enough. No Chilly the Child Molester either.
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The next head coach hire will define Bob McNair.

He was a noob owner in 2001 and did not know that Casserly was not actually the great GM the other owners convinced him about. Casserly assembled a bunch of coaches that seemed to have decent resumes, but that is far from assembling a cohesive cast.

He went with his college buddy for advice in Dan Reeves and brought in the Kubiak Kids Club, as lots of teams hire unproven coordinators as head coaches with success.

However, almost a decade into it, he should have a firm grasp on the basic understanding of the value of hiring qualified front office personnel. No more inexperienced "up and comers". No more hometown boy stories. No more glossy marketing campaigns.

But, will McNair dare to hire a coach that might not be his personality type, the soft-spoken 'awe shucks' good ol' boy? Could he handle a Parcells or Cowher?

I tend to agree with ThaShark. McNair either keeps Kubiak with a scapegoated Bush replaced with someone like Wade, or he hires a Chili-type mild-mannered coordinator.

I'll be shocked if he busts out with a bold decision in January.
Old 12-03-2010   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

How do we know that McNair won't go after one of the big names? We don't know that for sure.

Let's not forget the two players that McNair singled out this year as his favorites: Brian Cushing and Bernard Pollard. Why? Because they were tough, aggressive players. He saw how those two played and he liked it.

I think McNair is slowly getting tired of the "nice" guy thing, and is willing to bring in someone who is a bit more aggressive.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we're already getting that coach.

I heard Granato say this morning that the word around the campfire is that Kubiak is staying, no matter what.

The good news is that we can expect a change at DC, and Kubiak won't have anything to do with the decision.

I guess that means Rick Smith will be in on it instead.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Bigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol... I dont know why I keep checking NFL website to see whether or not Ill see a headline like: Def Coach Frank Bush fired... Maybe its just my wishful thinking.
Old 12-03-2010   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thing is, so far, all of McNairs hires have been pretty good. His problem is sticking with them too long.

Capers was considered an excellent candidate to take an expansion team under his wing and build them correctly.

After all his success in Denver, Kubiak was widely considered to be an excellent up and coming guy.

The best hires I can think of recently:
Ryan - Jets - Ex Coordinator
Mike Smith - Falcons - Ex Coordinator
Harbaugh - Ravens - Ex Coordinator
Old 12-03-2010   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Looks like we're already getting that coach.

I heard Granato say this morning that the word around the campfire is that Kubiak is staying, no matter what.

The good news is that we can expect a change at DC, and Kubiak won't have anything to do with the decision.

I guess that means Rick Smith will be in on it instead.
I don't buy that at all. No matter what? If we lose the rest of the games Kubiak keeps his job? Not going to happen.

I'm a season ticket holder, and last night I was huddling-texting-talking with other season ticket holders. There was a lot of serious talk about buying flat-screens next year and hosting parties at someone's house. No joke.

Season ticket holders are fed up. Money does not grow on trees.
Old 12-03-2010   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I don't buy that at all. No matter what? If we lose the rest of the games Kubiak keeps his job? Not going to happen.

I'm a season ticket holder, and last night I was huddling-texting-talking with other season ticket holders. There was a lot of serious talk about buying flat-screens next year and hosting parties at someone's house. No joke.

I couple friends of mine have turned their PSL's in to cash machines, by
Stubhubbing's their tickets. They've been getting close to 3k a week
for quite a few of the games.
Old 12-03-2010   #10
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Kubes to stay unless we get blown out the next few games. I don't expect Bush and Gibbs to return next season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Thing is, so far, all of McNairs hires have been pretty good. His problem is sticking with them too long.

Capers was considered an excellent candidate to take an expansion team under his wing and build them correctly.

After all his success in Denver, Kubiak was widely considered to be an excellent up and coming guy.

The best hires I can think of recently:
Ryan - Jets - Ex Coordinator
Mike Smith - Falcons - Ex Coordinator
Harbaugh - Ravens - Ex Coordinator
Harbaugh wasn't a coordinator, FWIW. He was a ST coach and coached DB one year to make it eaiser for him to land a HC gig.

There's actually a long, long line of non-coordinators turned successful HC (we faced one last night).

So far as the OP goes, I agree with Mr White, Kubiak will stay with his third(!) DC. I feel like that's destined to be Wade Phillips. I think that team could win, too.
Old 12-03-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I expect Kubes to stay unless we get blown out the next few games. I don't expect Bush and Gibbs to return next season.
See, that's the thing, why is everyone just accepting that Kubes will return? I'm sick of "Oh well. We're stuck with him" talk. We should be FURIOUS that he may return.

Frank Bush will be yet another scapegoat, and Kubiak will get another pass, and the fans seem ok with it.

Fuc-----g pisses me off.
Old 12-03-2010   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bob McNair has a money tree at 1 Reliant Park. The only way for season ticket holders to speak up is to not show up.

There were a lot of angry letters from season ticket holders Carr's last year here, IIRC.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do we know that McNair won't go after one of the big names? We don't know that for sure.
No, we don't know anything for sure.

However, we can look at history for trends.

Bob LIKES Gary. That alone buys loyalty, which equates to more patience, which means more time.

History reveals that Bob liked HWWNBN. In spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Bob thought he could be a good QB, so he not only extended the contract of said player, but based his interviews (allegedly) of HC candidates on their perspective of the potential of HWWNBN.

As far as big name coaches; Again, look at his M.O. and history. Bob's personality is mild-mannered and soft-spoken. He's hired coaches that possess these same traits. And one this is for certain, with the exception of Dungy, the rest of the big name HC's talked about are certainly not mild-mannered and soft-spoken.

Quote:
Let's not forget the two players that McNair singled out this year as his favorites: Brian Cushing and Bernard Pollard. Why? Because they were tough, aggressive players. He saw how those two played and he liked it.
I do not think player hires are relative to coaching hires. Nothing in McNair's history seems to indicate a direct correlation between the two.

Quote:
I think McNair is slowly getting tired of the "nice" guy thing, and is willing to bring in someone who is a bit more aggressive.
I think you are grasping at optimistic straws, and I certainly cannot fault you for that.

However, I see nothing to indicate that he's tired of the nice guy thing, and if anything, I see the scene being set for Gary v.6 in 2011.
Old 12-28-2010   #15
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bump.

With the newest rumors about the Texans...It's gonna be this, likely.
Old 12-28-2010   #16
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I DONT want Jeff Fisher, Marty Schottenheimer, or Brad Childress.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want Jon Gruden. Don't ask me why, but I have no confidence in him making this franchise better.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #18
ThaShark316

Ok folks...let's do this...

make this thread a "I dont want this guy here"

and...GO. (no Kubiak, seriously)
Old 12-28-2010   #19
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7329 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont want anyone from Denver.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #20
TexanAggie89
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just thinking about it. Why does everyone say that McNair doesnt or is too cheap to hire a big name coach? Answer me this, Capers was available, and he took the panthers (an expansion team) to the NFC championship. I think thats a pretty good gamble.

Kubes- was a hot name coming out when we fired Capers

Oh yea, and looking at it, there was NO big names available ANY TIME we have had a coaching vacancy up until now. So what makes you think McNair wont go for a big name?
TexanAggie89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read