Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What should be the plan from here on out?
No changes. We need patience, and should see results with the current team/coaches. 0 0%
It's the coaching. We have a solid team, but need new coaches to get to the next level. 15 50.00%
It's the players. Coaches will succeed if we can upgrade our roster. 1 3.33%
Problems are everywhere. We need to replace the coaches, but also need major roster changes. 14 46.67%
Blow it up. Keep maybe 4-5 players, but clean house top to bottom. 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2010   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How far do the changes need to go?

I'm wondering what other folks think we need to do from here. Is it a matter of a simple coaching change, or do we need to go farther in making changes to this team. Where do you come out on this?

For me, the problems go deeper than just the coaching, though I think we've got some good players that we can still build from...

Just to be clear on some choices:
  • There will always be some changes/turnover with the draft, so assume those changes with any choice.
  • New players/roster changes mean bringing in a significant number of new people FA/draft/trade/whatever as starters/backups: figure about 1/3 +/- of the starters, say.
  • Blowing up the whole team can't be done in just a year, but would be a planned change over 2-3 years.
  • When I say "coaches", you can include Rick Smith in there, also.

Last edited by keyser; 12-03-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarify the choices
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How far do the changes need to go?

I didn't see "Replace GM and coaching staff" so I didn't vote.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #3
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Somewhere between option 2 and option 4. I would say the entirety of the coaching staff needs to go. That includes Kubiak, Dennison, Bush, Gibbs, and probably Marciano as well if what we've seen is any indication of the future. I can't say that I am 100% behind getting rid of Rick Smith, because I can't determine who much of this falls on him as opposed to Kubiak - feel free to jump in there though.

That said, we need some sort of veteran presence in the secondary. Someone besides Pollard, who is completely worthless against even the most average QB/WR tandem. Also, I don't ever want to see Brice McCain on the field again. Period. Non-negotiable. I don't care who we find to replace him, hell bring Faggins out of the UFL for all I care - but this guy is just crap and no amount of coaching is going to change that me thinks. Also it would be nice to have a RG who isn't a pwn magnet. The same could be said for the rest of the d-line, though I think in Mario and Okoye's case that they would both benefit from better coaching.
Old 12-03-2010   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I clicked the wrong button meant to click 2, not 3. Coaches are biggest problem. It is a shame, since I really do think Kubiak is a really nice man. I would want my son to play for him, because he would do anything for his players. Except win, sadly.
Old 12-03-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Problems are everywhere. We need to replace the coaches, but also need major roster changes.
That comes the closet to how I feel. We need a complete overhaul of the coaching staff, and some changes made to personel on the defense. The offense is good enough as is for the time being, and could be a much better unit if coached sensibly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dennision can run Kubes offense..Id keep him..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read