Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2010   #1
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive players drafted under Smithiak era

Mario Williams

Demeco Ryans

Amobi Okoye

Fred Bennett

Brandon Harrison

Zac Diles

Antwaun Molden

Xavier Adibi

Frank Okam

Dominique Barber

Brian Cushing

Connor Barwin

glover quinn

Brice McCain

troy nolan

Kareem Jackson

Earl Mitchell

Daryl Sharpton

Sherrick McMannis

So you have a total of 19 defensive players taken over 5 drafts. 2 are pro-bowlers (mario, demeco) and then you have Brian Cushing (who we don't know what well get with him next year). 2 Average backup linebackers /starters and 1 average DT (Amobi). That leaves you with 13 other players that are not starting or shouldn't be)

Does Rick Smith deserve to stay as GM?

Last edited by VTexan; 12-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #2
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive players drafted under Smithiak era

I don't know if I completely agree with your take.
Some of these "busts" have shown flashes of what they are capable of.
I really, really think it comes down to coaching, they are not being put in a position to make things happen.
I do believe this is the case-new DC-better product.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

You are counting 2 rookies and 2 2nd year pro's as busts? There is an unspoken rule that you should wait 3-4 years to make a decision on if a player is a bust or not.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
glover quinn- bust

Kareem Jackson - bust

To answer your question first: No, Smith does not deserve to stay. We have proverbially thrown everything at the wall and few guys have stuck. Maybe it's more coaching, but at the same time Smith's job is to draft guys that fit what the coaches want to do.

I will vehemently disagree with you on these two picks. Have they sucked something fierce at times? Yes. But they both have shown some good things. It's really unfair to judge a very young corner when there is no true safety help. Corners get beat all the time (yes, even...Darrell "Oh man my hammy magically hurts that's why I couldn't cover you Randy" Revis), but good safety play either covers up, minimizes, or even turns it into a positive with TO's.

I will definitely say I've got no idea what Kareem will give us, but to say he's a bust is absurd.

I think the light has come on for Glover, I really do. I'm seeing him put himself into good positions, and make good, smart plays on the ball. Chances are he will never be a shutdown corner. But that doesn't mean he can't be good and cover number one's very well in the future.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #5
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Mario Williams- Good pick.

Demeco Ryans- Good pick, the leader of our defense with a terrible supporting cast

Amobi Okoye- A bust for selection. He is a decent run stopper. He could be a solid rotational DT, but you expect much much more pout of a top first round pick

Fred Bennett- Bust

Brandon Harrison -Bust

Zac Diles - Average backup. Blows in coverage

Antwaun Molden - Bust

Xavier Adibi - see diles

Frank Okam - was a 5th round gamble. Not a bad gamble really.

Dominique Barber - Bust

Brian Cushing - Brilliant rookie season, MIA this year for the most part

Connor Barwin -2nd year player. Lets see

glover quinn- 2nd year player.

Brice McCain- 2nd year player

troy nolan - a 2nd year player who was a 7th round pick. He was injured all last year and is just now getting some PT. I don't think you can be a bust at a 7th round pick.

Kareem Jackson - the guy is barely a season in and he is a bust?! Cmon!

Earl Mitchell - a first year player.

Daryl Sharpton - a first year player

Sherrick McMannis - A first year player

My differences are in your post in bold. I don't know how you can call rookies and 2nd year players busts. Is the reason they are not on the field Bush's issue, Kubiak, or theirs? I don't know, but very few players step right onto the field from college and are superstars or solid starters.

Does Smith deserve to go? I don't know. I want to know how much a role Kubiak and the D coordinators have had in draft picking before I render a decision.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty skewed assessment.

Things like Diles being an "average back-up" and Mario being "debateable" is laughable. Diles is an average starter, he's a fantastic back-up and Mario is a 2-time All-Pro (in 4 seasons). Debateable? The only thing debateable about him is if he ends up as a really good NFL player or in the HOF.
Old 12-03-2010   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

1st and 2nd year players can't be busts unless they no longer play for your team.
Old 12-03-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Sour grapes post?
Old 12-03-2010   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

(1)DeMeco is clearly the best defensive player Smith/Kubiak have drafted,
maybe not the most talented, but the best player and far and away the best value. We missed him last night, we've missed him every game he's been out since his injury.
(2)Mario is certainly very talented and worthy of being called NFL-starting calibre Dlineman, but his salary/cap is hard to justify given his inconsistancy.
(3)Drafting Okoye at #10 overall was a major mistake. End of story.
(4) We'll have to wait on the decision for Cushing given his outstanding rookie year that has been deeply compromised by all the events of 2010,
including inconclusive performanes on the field to this point.
(5) The wisdom of the Kareem Jackson pick in the first round of this Draft looks very dubious at this point. He's just a rookie, but he's got to really come around to justify anywhere near the position he was taken.
(6) Connor Barwin's injury this year simply makes an evaluation rating impossible.
(7) McShantis has not had anywhere near the opportunity Kareem has to prove himself, and its way to soon to grade him, but I'm thinking he's gonna be a better cover guy that KJ (faint praise I know), and did anybody notice the play he made last night with the tackle on the ball-carrier in the backfield ? That was impressive.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #10
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys drafted in the rounds 5-7 aren't expected to be stars. These guys are either projects or mainly for depth.

Zac Diles was a 7th round pick. Most guys picked in the 7th round don't even make the team! So the fact you called him an "average backup" already makes him a good pick.

The same goes for guys like Dominique Barber, Troy Nolan, Sherrick McMannis & Brice McCain. These guys were low draft picks and were mainly brought on for depth. And I think they fill that role nicely.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see how this defense looks with decent coaching. That
still has yet to happen under Kubiak.
Old 12-03-2010   #12
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone drafted outside the 2nd round of the draft really be called a bust? Let's not forget that one has to be hyped up before they fail to be a bust. This was not the case with hardly any of the players listed. I suppose you could make an argument for Okoye, but I still believe that he is just poorly coached and could be a really good player with the proper motivation.
Old 12-03-2010   #13
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay. Fair points, we DO need to wait a couple years before I clarify as busts. But I am mainly pointing out that they have not lived to any type of expectations when I say bust.

I know 5-7th round picks won't turn out to be superstars but good gm's make those picks be viable starters at a lot better probability.

The question I am trying to propose is people seem to think Rick Smith is safe but should he?
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #14
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a huge mistake drafting so many defesive linemen in the first and second round
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to say who is or is not a 'bust', but, I will say that it's not a very impressive list of defensive players from 5 years of drafts.
Old 12-03-2010   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'd like to see how this defense looks with decent coaching. That
still has yet to happen under Kubiak.
were you away for most of last season?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario and DeMeco were pre-Smith, so his record is even worse than it looks.
Old 12-03-2010   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

Started a thread about this a few weeks back. There aren't many good things to say when you lay it out like this. 2006 was a great draft but Smith wasn't involved. Last year's draft (The Cushing draft, if you will) seemed to produce a player or two. The years in between though...laughable.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

We should've kept Casserly.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

No, it isn't pretty. This much effort should yield at least slightly better results.

Mario Williams- Productive by and large. Doesn't show up enough to be the dominant player we hoped he'd be at the first overall spot but he's got ability and produces enough to be considered a good pick.

Demeco Ryans- Very good pick who we almost didn't get. If the coaches had their way his pick would have been rolled up into a trade up for DeAngelo Williams so we're fortunate to have him.

Amobi Okoye- I would agree that he's slowly crawling toward "capable" but you can sign that same level of impact off the street and in free agency almost any year and we've proven it. Guys with better motors can be found easily and they always outperform Amobi. His also a victim here in a way. It's not like Okoye picked himself over Revis or Willis. The Texans picked him too high and Okoye has to try and live up to it. I just keep waiting for the light bulb to come on but I think he's one of those intelligent "nice" players the Texans take all the time. Those guys don't generally turn into beasts no matter how long you wait.

Fred Bennett- Just no evidence of football instincts at all. One good year can be viewed as a sign of ability or as a fluke occurrence once you see the bad that follows. If his rookie season meant anything we'd have at least seen flashes after that but he did nothing. Clearly a bad pick and good riddance.

Brandon Harrison - I swear I just draw a complete blank whenever I see this guys name. It's like "Does he play for us? Who is he again?"

Zac Diles - Depth at best anywhere other than here.

Antwaun Molden - A complete bust of a pick. When he isn't hurt he can be vaulted in the depth chart by a guy the Dolphins threw into the trash heap 11 days prior. He's a special teams commando who gets hurt at the drop of a hat (Any hat. Anywhere) so how does this guy stick around when Bennett got sent packing? How useful is a player who is this easily injured?

Xavier Adibi - See Antwuan Molden but throw in a little Zac Diles. Adibi's ability is equal to that last LB on your depth chart who is only there for special teams because hes got lousy instincts at his "position". You pray you never need to use him at LB but eventually you do and you're screwed. Thing about Adibi is that he isn't even a special teams standout. So what exactly keeps us from upgrading his roster spot again?

Frank Okam - Another soft, smart guy in the body of a beast but who will never be that big run stuffing force in the middle. It's just not in his nature. Good citizen, bad pick.

Dominique Barber - Can't unseat anybody in the worst secondary in the NFL, possibly in NFL history. that says it all.

Brian Cushing - Brilliant rookie season, MIA this year for a long time but he's looked more like Brian Cushing in the past few weeks. The Texans did a grave disservice to him by moving him to the middle following his suspension. They basically extended it and made him a non-factor when he came back instead of letting him return to his natural position. If he closes the season strong I'll feel a lot better about him than I do now.

Connor Barwin - Yes, the jury is still out but it's a crime that we had to go back out and draft Jason Babin again because our coach and GM were stupid enough to trade away a player they needed. I think he'll be fine if the ankle doesn't turn into a recurring problem.

Glover Quin - Our Champ Bailey, our Darrell Revis. The best we have thanks to our decision to purge all of our veterans prior to the season. Promising rookie season and flashes here and there in this year of terrible defense. Hopefully he doesn't just go completely off the map like Bennett did. I think he'll stick and he's got enough skills to be a starter opposite a real shut down corner. Pity we haven't had one of those since Aaron Glenn. If Okoye's pick had been used on Revis we'd be set right now.

Brice McCain - Immediatley passed in ability by Dolphin's castaway Jason Allen like Molden. I'm not sure what he's even doing out there half the time.

Troy Nolan - Can't consistently bust through the starting tandem of Pollard and Wilson so what's to get excited about here? Flashes but come on, if he was any good at all he'd have Wilson on the bench right now.

Kareem Jackson - Rookie in a no-win situation. I'm not going to dog him on this. I'm just going to say that he shouldn't be out there getting dominated every week like he has been. He should be playing behind a veteran and getting snaps at the nickel.

Earl Mitchell - No worse than any of our other tomato cans back there. Depth and special teams guy at best right now but he's a rookie so possible upside? It could happen.

Daryl Sharpton - Another rookie so he gets the rookie pass like all of them. Could be Diles, could be Diles with a better motor. Neither one really excites me though.

Sherrick McMannis - Rookie DB who I can't get upset at yet. Give him a year or two and if he stinks like all the rest of them have other than Quin then there'll be time enough to complain about him then.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read