Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-02-2010   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landry (NFL Films)

Most of y'all know that I'm not a Cowboys fan, but, I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Landry (as most football fans do).

Did any of you catch ĎThe NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landryí last weekend?

I knew some of the stuff about him: 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, a 270-178-6 record, 20 straight years of winning seasons, yada yada yada, but what I did not know was the depth of his genius as an innovator of schemes.

That part of the documentary just blew my mind. I had no idea that he invented the 4-3 defense, the flex defense which led to the Doomsday Ds, and all the various offensive systems that he created and implemented (like the man in motion and shotgun). His name should be right up there with Lombardi (who he coached with) and Walsh. Maybe it is in many people's minds, but his name is definitely there in my mind now.
Old 12-02-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landry (NFL Films)

I saw it and I left extremely impressed with him as a man and as a coach.

I learned a lot about him and how he coached football. I also learned a lot about he and Lombardi's relationship that I didn't know.

I was gonna come here and post about it, but I figured it was something old that most people had already seen.

Anyways, good post because that documentary definitely left an impression on me. Glad you brought it up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I felt the exact same way as you, Rey. The Lombardi connection was fascinating, as well. I had not idea about the history and friendship between the two greats. The NFL is a better league today because of Landry, and that was really cool to learn more about the legend.
Old 12-03-2010   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew about his innovations but not the Lombardi stuff. Hopefully they'll play it again some time.
Old 12-06-2010   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Most of y'all know that I'm not a Cowboys fan, but, I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Landry (as most football fans do).

Did any of you catch ĎThe NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landryí last weekend?

I knew some of the stuff about him: 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, a 270-178-6 record, 20 straight years of winning seasons, yada yada yada, but what I did not know was the depth of his genius as an innovator of schemes.

That part of the documentary just blew my mind. I had no idea that he invented the 4-3 defense, the flex defense which led to the Doomsday Ds, and all the various offensive systems that he created and implemented (like the man in motion and shotgun). His name should be right up there with Lombardi (who he coached with) and Walsh. Maybe it is in many people's minds, but his name is definitely there in my mind now.
A little late getting to this but I do remember him being the originator of those things as well as having his offensive line stand up briefly after initially being set. The premise being to confuse/cover the man in motion. A brilliant football mind indeed. He was a class act for sure.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved Tom Landry. I have a pic of him & my dad on my office wall.

He was a true genius in the game of football. Not just on one side of the ball, but both.

It was time for him to retire, but the way that Jones got rid of him turned me from a secondary Cowboy fan into a 'gurls hater.
Old 12-06-2010   #7
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The pride of Mission, TX (here in the Valley of course)....I too, have a framed photo of him on the wall. A true legend.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read