Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-30-2010   #1
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derek Anderson's Meltdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vTz...layer_embedded

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derek Anderson's Meltdown

Maybe him and Deuce were discussing AJ's beatdown of Courtney Innegan. That's why they were laughing.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Things just aren't funny in Arizona anymore

Quote:
Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Derek Anderson was caught smiling on the sidelines in the midst of being shamed on MNF against the San Francisco 49ers (Anderson finished 16 of 36 with 195 yards and 1 INT in a 27-6 loss). This guy Jon Gruden was quick to point out that he'd prefer his players to look like they were actually upset about being embarrassed on the national stage, suggesting that Anderson's smile was absolutely unacceptable. That Jon Gruden guy is such a tough guy.

I don't blame this guy Jon Gruden for bringing it up because the MNF crew was already having a tough time finding talking points for an otherwise abysmal match up. Making a big deal about this guy smiling on the sideline was at least more relevant than talking about next week's MNF game between the Jets and Patriots, which is what the MNF crew did a whole lot. However, as soon as this guy Gruden brings it up, most viewers (especially frustrated Cardinals fans), who may not have made a big deal about it, start to really wonder why the hell their garbage quarterback is crackin' jokes on the sidelines when down 18 points.

Of course, this leads to a reporter begging the question during Anderson's post game press conference. Anderson, who appears to be completely blind sided by what was originally a fair question, reacts accordingly when the reporter doesn't budge from his line of questioning:

(video)

To me, after watching it a few times, it looked like Anderson was merely smiling, perhaps in reaction to something his teammate said. Nothing to get too bent out of shape about. Either way, it's unfortunate he was caught on camera smiling (or laughing) at that time given how the game was playing out. It's definitely something that could be construed the wrong way and, obviously, it was. Anderson clearly handled it very poorly, though. That's fine (x5), but nothing's funny.
AwfulAnnouncing link

Youtube link is case the story goes off page 1

Coors Light commercial coming it 5......4.....3........

I pretty much agree with AA's writer on this. I will add that I thought Gruden just wouldn't shut up about anything last night. Nothing new there.
Old 11-30-2010   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Things just aren't funny in Arizona anymore

Crap. Sorry. Mods please delete or move to the first thread on the subject. My bad.

Thanks. (That's what I get for starting a thread before coffee)
Old 11-30-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He was sitting next to Lutui, who's known to be a jokester. So meh, who cares
Old 11-30-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

All he needed to do to make that an instant "classic" is to have mixed in a "Knock it off!!"
Old 11-30-2010   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm taking Derek Anderson's side here.

They had no clue whatsoever as to why Anderson was laughing or smiling. Gruden's take on it was BS, and that reporter absolutely deserved the reaction that he got.

Both of them need to make a public apology to Derek Anderson.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

After this past weekend, I need to revise my head coaching candidate list:

1. Bill Cowher

2. Bill Cowher

3. Bill Cowher

Because Jeff Fisher has no class, and he whined all game long. I think I have over-estimated him by a mile. I didn't like what I saw from him. At all. And actually, he has always been a whiner and never stands up for truth when it's HIS team benefitting from questionable calls.

And then there's Gruden, who made much ado about nothing. For the sake of having something to talk about...he has brought down a firestorm on a QB. Look, I don't think Derek Anderson is a good QB. He's a poor man's Favre, and that's stretching it, actually. However, your team has been mired in ugliness since Warner left, you're the guy at QB, things aren't going well for you and your team, and you can't have a smile on the sideline? So we all need to look like we're at a funeral and THAT will cure the team's ills?

Therefore, I wouldn't want a crap-starting guy like Gruden as my team's HC. Maybe this is why he lost the locker room in Tampa? Because he starts stuff like this? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe Kubiak isn't the guy for this job, but I know two guys that just dropped off my list pretty quickly. They've revealed a lot about themselves in the span of three days. Just my two cents. I got a whole 'nother perspective from those events these past three days.
Old 11-30-2010   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I'm taking Derek Anderson's side here.

They had no clue whatsoever as to why Anderson was laughing or smiling. Gruden's take on it was BS, and that reporter absolutely deserved the reaction that he got.

Both of them need to make a public apology to Derek Anderson.
I agree completely. NFL Network kept showing Anderson smiling IN SLOW MOTION, so it looked like he was sitting there grinning like the Cheshire Cat for 5 minutes.

This just in: players are human. *gasp!* He smiled! OMG! OMG!!

The media can be a bunch of doofuses too much of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
After this past weekend, I need to revise my head coaching candidate list:

1. Bill Cowher

2. Bill Cowher

3. Bill Cowher

Because Jeff Fisher has no class, and he whined all game long. I think I have over-estimated him by a mile. I didn't like what I saw from him. At all. And actually, he has always been a whiner and never stands up for truth when it's HIS team benefitting from questionable calls.

And then there's Gruden, who made much ado about nothing. For the sake of having something to talk about...he has brought down a firestorm on a QB. Look, I don't think Derek Anderson is a good QB. He's a poor man's Favre, and that's stretching it, actually. However, your team has been mired in ugliness since Warner left, you're the guy at QB, things aren't going well for you and your team, and you can't have a smile on the sideline? So we all need to look like we're at a funeral and THAT will cure the team's ills?

Therefore, I wouldn't want a crap-starting guy like Gruden as my team's HC. Maybe this is why he lost the locker room in Tampa? Because he starts stuff like this? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe Kubiak isn't the guy for this job, but I know two guys that just dropped off my list pretty quickly. They've revealed a lot about themselves in the span of three days. Just my two cents. I got a whole 'nother perspective from those events these past three days.
I'm actually starting to dig Kubiak again after giving AJ the game ball, for "60 catches in 8 seasons", of course...

I like Bill Cowher (top of my coaching wish list), but the pragmatic side of me realizes that he'll need the Steelers front office to make it work. He did not win that championship in a vacuum.
Old 11-30-2010   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand it's not really a big deal, but way to show more heart at the post game presser than during the game that basically ends your season.
Old 11-30-2010   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I understand it's not really a big deal, but way to show more heart at the post game presser than during the game that basically ends your season.
Anderson would have been wiser to have NOT blown up at the presser.

He should have just laughed and said "Wow. So I can't smile unless we're winning? Come on guys, does that sound logical? Nobody is satisfied with how things are going. I'd rather stay positive and smile than mope around."
Old 11-30-2010   #12
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i really hope coors light does a commercial off this.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
i really hope coors light does a commercial off this.
Beer guy: "Derek! Derek! We're going to put down our Coors Light and go grab a few winecoolers and watch some tennis. You wanna' go with us?"

Anderson: "I take this serious! I take this real serious!"

Beer guy: "OK, OK...sorry. We thought it would be fun."

Anderson: [silent, but with eyes bulging and staring]

Beer guy: [awkwardly smiling, saying nothing]

Beer guy #2: (whispering to beer guy 1) "Dude, don't smile. stop smiling already..."

Anderson: [still there with eyes bulging, and still staring]

Beer guy: "You're right, Derek. I wasn't taking this serious like I should have."

Anderson: [still there with eyes bulging, and still staring]

Beer guy #2: "When can we smile again, because this is getting awwwkwarrrd..."
Old 11-30-2010   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Another case of the media trying to make the story and not report them.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

All the QB had to say was "I had just farted.." every man and woman would have understood and no more story.
Old 11-30-2010   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
All the QB had to say was "I had just farted.." every man and woman would have understood and no more story.
Lol so true. Or maybe Deuce smelled like he dropped a deuce in his pants.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #17
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a complete non-story. I can't believe the reporter was pushing it like he was. In every group of people there's someone who uses levity to try to break the tension and get everyone relaxed again and maybe get them to start performing better because of it. Granted, that game looked like it would be awful so I didn't watch it, but I think my point still stands.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can guarantee that if this were the first game of the season no one would be telling jokes and no one would be smiling.

The Cardinals are having an awful season. At some point when things just keep going down hill, as a human being you will find something to lighten the mood just so you don't go insane or cause yourself too much stress.

I understand what Gruden was saying because I've been on competitive teams before and if you are losing or if something is going bad, no one is going to be cracking jokes and no one is going to be smiling.

I would say that most competitive teams would not have players smiling in that situation...JMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

They should mix that with Greens "Crown them" and Anderson's "It's not funny"

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
They should mix that with Greens "Crown them" and Anderson's "It's not funny"
I thought the same thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read