Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2010   #1
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 5 down linemen yesterday...

Was I seeing things, but it seemed to me we lined up in a 5-2-4 yesterday a few times with Bentley and Cush at LB and Mario, Okoye, Smith, Cody and Anderson on the line.
It worked well.
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 5 down linemen yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Was I seeing things, but it seemed to me we lined up in a 5-2-4 yesterday a few times with Bentley and Cush at LB and Mario, Okoye, Smith, Cody and Anderson on the line.
It worked well.
Seems like with the excelling of Mark Anderson, we got the ability to do with him what we were doing with Baldwin.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't knkow, but Okoye had a hell of a game yesterday. He was in the backfield most of the game.
Old 11-29-2010   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I don't knkow, but Okoye had a hell of a game yesterday. He was in the backfield most of the game.
That was the second game that we seemed to get some pressure with our front four.... what changed?
Old 11-29-2010   #5
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Seems like with the excelling of Mark Anderson, we got the ability to do with him what we were doing with Baldwin.
Which Baldwin brother was it?

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise, not a impact player, but is good for a few positive plays a game. The loss of Barwin was really underrated.
Old 11-29-2010   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
As a fairly loud critic of Okoye, I have to admit it was nice seeing his number behind some OLmen.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

We also had our CBs pressing their WRs at the line, too. Though this could be due to knowing that the rookie deer-in-the-headlights QB was not going to torch us on it.

I don't know why our CBs are not pressing their man more like they did Sunday. Because they are so "young and new to the game of football?" LOL. Look, make them stick to their man...let the safeties come over and provide over-the-top help. Just let those guys play football and figure it out.

It's as if they are children out there and we can't allow them to get hurt.

Let's see how awesome we are vs. the Eagles. In Philly. On national TV. Because we traditionally do not fare well vs. mobile, athletic QBs. Even Sanchez was avoiding the pressure and making plays. Now think about the mobility and savvy of Vick. He's going to eat us alive...just when it looks like we're getting to him BAM! he's out of the pocket and racing for a 15-yard gain.

And then this Titans win will have officially worn off. Quickly.

Look, I'm at the point to where I have no more grace for this team. Congrats on beating up on small children and the elderly. What have we done vs. really good teams who handle their business on a consistent basis? Nothing. We look like the small children and elderly. That's what happens. It's the circle of life. It's the food chain. Until some day, somehow, this team decides it's finished with the shenanigans.
Old 11-29-2010   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
That was the second game that we seemed to get some pressure with our front four.... what changed?
Jason Allen in the secondary?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Frank Bush has learned anything from last year's debacle vs. the Titans on MNF (when VY ran rings around us) then he's going to use a LB and spy Vick the whole game.

Switch it up and make Cushing be the spy for a few plays, then make another LB be the spy and blitz Cushing. This will send Vick into panic mode. He has to be taught that somebody is always watching him and waiting for him to flee the pocket.

But let's face it: We won't. We will rush four linemen, thinking we can get pressure on Vick. Meanwhile, the Eagles notorious beefy, pass-blocking o-linemen will absorb our d-linemen and Vick will be free to go nuts on us.

We need a miracle. And a miracle would be that Frank Bush has finally "gotten the memo" and understands that his defense can't matchup the same when facing teams who have a mobile QB.
Old 11-29-2010   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

This may sound like an old cliche, but the only way we're going to have shot at beating Philly, is to keep the ball out his hands.

Run the football, and run it some more. Throw it deep to stretch the field, and then run the ball some more. Eat up the clock.

It's on defense where Bush is going to have think outside the box.

If AJ is suspended, that will suck, but they are going to have to go deep anyway.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #11
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Jason Allen in the secondary?
Could be, it was noted that McCain did not play yesterday.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think all is completely lost if AJ is suspended for one game. Hell the Eagles got burned by the Bears WR's, of which the most nameable player is Devin Hester because he rules at returns.

It's not the offense that I'm worried about, it's the defense giving up 5 million yards a game through the air (Yesterday notwithstanding). But the Eagles looked entirely beatable yesterday, especially if we somehow transport the Brian Cushing that showed up yesterday to Philly with us. Oh yeah, and bring the Amobi Okoye that showed up yesterday too, that'd be swell. And that Glover Quin, not the other one we've been seeing all season.
Old 11-29-2010   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Switch it up and make Cushing be the spy for a few plays, then make another LB be the spy and blitz Cushing. This will send Vick into panic mode. He has to be taught that somebody is always watching him and waiting for him to flee the pocket.
I like this idea but I don't think it will happen. The way you keep a QB uncomfortable out of the pocket is to make him scramble to his non-dominant side. This would mean we would need Sharpton to keep Vick from moving outside the LT.

However, if Sharpton is able to do that fairly well then Brian could have a nice game keeping him from making plays if he scrambles outside the RT.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #14
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game, but I don't remember seeing Sharpton much. Thats doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't effective, but I know he played well the game before. I wonder if gets the call to start in front of Diles again.
Old 11-30-2010   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Eagles are really good at screens too. I dread watching Vick + McCoy + Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. They're going to have 4 guys on the field that are faster than any of ours.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This may sound like an old cliche, but the only way we're going to have shot at beating Philly, is to keep the ball out his hands.

Run the football, and run it some more. Throw it deep to stretch the field, and then run the ball some more. Eat up the clock.

It's on defense where Bush is going to have think outside the box.

If AJ is suspended, that will suck, but they are going to have to go deep anyway.
Great, don't tell Kubiak you have to pound the rock, cause then he'll script 6 strait pass plays.

BTW, jamming at the LOS is the only shot we have at covering their receivers. Jackson and Maclin are WAY too fast for KJ and company.
Old 11-30-2010   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, when you know they aren't going to have much success throwing the ball, you line up against the run. It's tough for CJ to go anywhere when the D has 7-9 guys in the box each play.
Old 11-30-2010   #18
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Our only hope for beating Philly is to get a big game out of Mario. As someone said, the best thing you can do with a guy like Vick is force him to the opposite side to which he throws. We may not get a sack the whole game, but if Mario and and co on the right side of the defense can force Vick to roll to his right, our chances improve dramatically. This is assuming of course that we'll be able to catch Vick and tackle properly if he decides to tuck it and run, something I'm not terribly confident about.
Old 11-30-2010   #19
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Eagles are really good at screens too. I dread watching Vick + McCoy + Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. They're going to have 4 guys on the field that are faster than any of ours.
Our ability to stop the delay type plays (screens, delay runs, draws, etc.) was atrocious at the beginning of the season. I think we have improved significantly, but this one is going to be about minding our gaps and staying home. Screens are defensible, we just have to play them right.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Which Baldwin brother was it?

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise, not a impact player, but is good for a few positive plays a game. The loss of Barwin was really underrated.
Came back to this thread just now to make a correction to a realized mistake. Beat me to it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read