Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bitter Babin

"Animosity, hate, anger?'' said the Titans defensive end, who spent his first three NFL seasons in Houston. "Yeah, I feel all those things. My situation was just mishandled there. And it was bad.''
Someone needs to tell Babin that holding grudges isn't healthy, and in some cases unjustified.
It was the Texans, after all, that awarded a first round contract - a $7 million deal, including a signing bonus worth $3.625 million - to this relative unknown from the Mid-American Conference.
According to Wyatt's article, Babin and his parents- Michigan natives - still live in the Houston area during the off-season. Babin also owns several hunting ranches across Texas - which I recall reading about back in the day.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...rns-to-reliant
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Bitter Babin

Hgh/roids can turn you into a star.

Ask Babin, at 30.
Old 11-27-2010   #3
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 83804 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm............... You have a high round pick, who someone obviously saw as having big potential. You draft him, he pretty much flops, goes to a different team, performs way better than before, says he was mishandled in the previous situation, and he is somehow wrong???

Maybe this is just another indictment of the poor coaching the Texans have endured throughout their existance?
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
Hmmm............... You have a high round pick, who someone obviously saw as having big potential. You draft him, he pretty much flops, goes to a different team, performs way better than before, says he was mishandled in the previous situation, and he is somehow wrong???

Maybe this is just another indictment of the poor coaching the Texans have endured throughout their existance?
I guess the seahawks (holmgren days) and eagles are poorly coached too.

Man this dude is on something, period.
Old 11-27-2010   #5
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 83804 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe he finally has a coach who coaches to his strengths and puts him in a position to be successful. Coaching can make a huge difference in a player's performance. Michael Vick was a talented QB in Atlanta, who never performed the way he is performing this season. Is he more talented after his prison stay? Not likely. Maybe the fact that Andy Reid has implemented a game plan that utilizes Vick's strengths and avoids his weaknesses gets the results you see on the field. Think maybe Vick is better because he is more mature? Could be part of the equation; being the first at practice and last to leave may be a huge part of it. But couldn't that have been coached into him before? A good coach is a good motivator, a person who not only puts his players in the best position to win, but who also figures out what it is that makes each individual player tick. He then has to push the right buttons to get everything out of that player possible. Michael Vick is motivated by things differently than Matt Schaub is. Jason Babin is motivated differently than Jared Allen (taken 100 picks later in the same draft.)
Old 11-27-2010   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post

Man this dude is on something, period.
The Titans are notorious for picking up defensive lineman out of the trash heap and then turning them into pro bowlers. The freak was "THE FREAK" under Fisher....RoBaire Smith was one of the highly most sought after FAs when he left Tenn (he was a dud with us). Remember Kyle Vandon Bosch? Babin has always been a natural pass rusher....the Titans are just letting him do what he does best.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
\I saw him in a couple games last year for the Eagles and he played well, he was getting some sacks. Don't know why he was released, maybe they wanted to go young but the Eagles are a team with considerable talent.
All I know is, we could sure use this guy.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2010   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe I was rooting for this guy to turn his career around and get to a few Pro Bowls if possible. He could have said that things didn't work out in Houston but he loves the fans and people but no....Guess I had too high of an expectation from a Tack.

Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Babin's right. He was having the best camp of his career back at his natural position and then we traded him for a scrub who isn't even in football today. Rick Smith was just flailing away wasting resources trying to address a problem we have to this very day with that trade.

Then we go draft Conner Barwin to replace Babin with. Classic Texans move.
Old 11-27-2010   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Bitter Babin

Quote:

According to local media (including McClain; so........) he was a TOTAL slacker while he was here.

However, in light of recent coaching exposure, who knows. I woke up in the middle of the night to whatever show was on 610 (natioal) and I heard them talking about our DB's being so out of position and that our coaches should be fired.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
According to local media (including McClain; so........) he was a TOTAL slacker while he was here.

However, in light of recent coaching exposure, who knows. I woke up in the middle of the night to whatever show was on 610 (natioal) and I heard them talking about our DB's being so out of position and that our coaches should be fired.

I agree with the bolded portion. Check this out with Mack Brown http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5798694.

Players are a reflection of their coaches. Ever since the Texans were established we have been plagued with problems on the offensive line, defensive line, and secondary. We got rid of our HC and brought in Kubiak, got rid of our defensive line coach who went onto the same position at USC, changed offensive line schemes, and yet with all of this we're not where we're supposed to be (okay that sounded awful).

Yes, I understand its tough to get over the hump but bad coaching is something that has plagued our football franchise since day one, which is why we dissapoint ourselves every year.

With regards to DBs being out-of-position, KJ should know better. He played the position at Bama' so its not like its new for him. At the very least he should speak up and tell his coach that his method is not working and he is going to play the way he feels comfortable with and make plays as best as possible.

As much as we lack quality coaching, we lack players who aren't afraid to stand up and tell a coach that his methods aren't working. Mike Singletary used to lead his defense like Manning leads the Colt offense and often times told the coach that things aren't working so he's going to do things his way and he did. Until we get guys who step up and lead on the field, we ain't going nowhere.

Just my .02 cents...

Last edited by Texan4Ever; 11-27-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
maybe he finally has a coach who coaches to his strengths and puts him in a position to be successful. Coaching can make a huge difference in a player's performance. Michael Vick was a talented QB in Atlanta, who never performed the way he is performing this season. Is he more talented after his prison stay? Not likely. Maybe the fact that Andy Reid has implemented a game plan that utilizes Vick's strengths and avoids his weaknesses gets the results you see on the field. Think maybe Vick is better because he is more mature? Could be part of the equation; being the first at practice and last to leave may be a huge part of it. But couldn't that have been coached into him before? A good coach is a good motivator, a person who not only puts his players in the best position to win, but who also figures out what it is that makes each individual player tick. He then has to push the right buttons to get everything out of that player possible. Michael Vick is motivated by things differently than Matt Schaub is. Jason Babin is motivated differently than Jared Allen (taken 100 picks later in the same draft.)
Oh, spare me the Michael Vick shit with this "he finally got some good coaching" nonsense.

Michael Vick has decided to devote his heart to football instead of killing dogs. I think a couple of years in prison pushed a few buttons more than any football coach did.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

My undersanding of "slacker" is that it's a term that describes/defines someone who fails to make a satisfactory effort ? But my memory of Babin
is just the opposite - a guy that played with a "real motor". Maybe I'm wrong ?
And you're saying you heard Babin on the radio critiquing our coachs performance of coaching our DBs ?
Old 11-27-2010   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to tailgate next to Babin's family in the green lot. I met them while wearing a custom Battle Red Babin jersey. His dad (Jim I think) once complained that the Texans doctors allowed Jason to play in a preseason game when he couldn't lift his arm above his shoulder. That started the hard feelings, I believe.

I liked them and they loved my shrimp brochettes. The mom was a hoot and not bad looking. And I know that athletes have hot wives. But Jason's wife, and her friends, were super nova hot. I thought Babin got a raw deal here, but that comes from a guy who still has his Babin throwback jersey.
Old 11-27-2010   #15
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
My undersanding of "slacker" is that it's a term that describes/defines someone who fails to make a satisfactory effort ? But my memory of Babin
is just the opposite - a guy that played with a "real motor". Maybe I'm wrong ?
And you're saying you heard Babin on the radio critiquing our coachs performance of coaching our DBs ?

Maybe they were talking about how he prepared during the week. There aren't too many guys that just dog it on game days. The great ones are the ones who treat film study and practice serious as well.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #16
Pollardized
Division Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Oh, spare me the Michael Vick shit with this "he finally got some good coaching" nonsense.

Michael Vick has decided to devote his heart to football instead of killing dogs. I think a couple of years in prison pushed a few buttons more than any football coach did.
You think coaching has absolutely nothing to do with his performance? How does McNabb look this year in a Redskins uniform? Good coaching goes along way. Yes Vick was humbled by prison. I worked for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, inside a prison, I have seen people changed by the experience. I've also seen people go out worse than they came in.

Good coaches have a knack for pushing the right buttons and getting that little something extra from a player. They also coach to the player's strength. Babin, like others, may have suffered from poor coaching in the Texans' system. There is no other reasonable explanation for our DB's to be that bad. The coaches put them in bad positions and any weakness is exposed. Do you really think Benard Pollard is that horrible of a safety, after the transformation he sparked last year? He is weak in coverage, and with young DB's being put in bad positions his weakness is exposed.

You know what I think Rex Ryan meant when he was talking about KJax a few weeks ago? He meant "that guy would be a great player in the NFL someday (if he had the proper coaching)".
Old 11-27-2010   #17
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, he was referring to the Capers regime. He probably wasn't too happy playing a read and react LB, even though he was actually decent at it. The fans hated him since he wasn't Merriman or Ware.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin was never a consistent productive player here. Of course, we never have had a good DC here in Texans history, so that also plays a part in that.

I used to hear from a buddy of mine that knew some of Babin's best friends and I used to hear that Babin used cocaine a lot and from other stuff I heard he never seemed like a dedicated player at a young age.

If he wants to trash this administration at Texansville though, he'll need to take a number and get to the back of the line.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #19
Pollardized
Division Champ

Tex, what number would he get, if he took one and how long is the line?
Old 11-27-2010   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tex, what number would he get, if he took one and how long is the line?
It would definitely be in the 5 digits. Lol!

The line would probably extend from Reliant at Kirby all the way down to Galveston.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read