Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Team Gregg Williams

How about Gregg Williams? He wants another shot as a head coach. Even if he doesn't end up being much of a head coach, the odds are very good that we would have a good two to three year run (before things begin to unravel) with the offensive talent and schooling in place combined with an immediately and vastly improved defense.

Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2010   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Gregg Williams

I think Williams deserves another shot. Just not here. The Texans need to aim higher.
Old 11-24-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love Gregg Williams as DC since he's really good and runs a 4-3 but I'm not sure of him as head coach. I'd prefer someone with head coaching experience but if we have to pick from the list of coordinators to possibly be a head coach, he'd be on my short list along with Ron Rivera and Leslie Frazier.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, because trying failed HC is a way better idea than hiring untried HC.

PROVEN WINNER PLEASE!
Old 11-24-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Everytime I hear Gregg Williams name, I always think of how Jerry Gray would be a great DC to hire.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #6
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

PROVEN WINNER PLEASE!
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

PROVEN WINNER PLEASE!

What is your list of proven winners to chose from? We don't get to hire Cowher or Gruden just because we want to. They have to want the job, for one.
Old 11-24-2010   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Williams deserves another shot. Just not here. The Texans need to aim higher.
I agree. Especially with what is out on the market right now.

But, it's all moot anyway because Kubiak will be here next season. Hell, we;ll be lucky to even get a new DC the way Smith and Kubiak work. They don't want to fire their buddies. They might get mad at them..sniff...sniff..
Old 11-24-2010   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
What is your list of proven winners to chose from? We don't get to hire Cowher or Gruden just because we want to. They have to want the job, for one.
I'm happy with GK if he fires Bush and gets a proven DC to run the defense.
Old 11-24-2010   #10
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm happy with GK if he fires Bush and gets a proven DC to run the defense.
If he stays, he also needs to hire an effin' clock coach. Kubes can't manage a game clock to save his arse.
Old 11-24-2010   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post

I'm assuming you have Billichek's pic because he sucked with the Browns but won three Super Bowls with the Pats right?

Give anyone a shot for the HC, heck Miami hired an offensive line coach so why can't we look outside the box?

Speaking of offensive line, Russ Grimm anyone?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when the Colts hired Dungy?

I think that's exactly what we need to do. Hire the best defensive mind out there and keep the offense intact.

That being said, we need someone who's had success at HC just like Dungy did at Tampa. Williams doesn't fit that criteria.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Remember when the Colts hired Dungy?

I think that's exactly what we need to do. Hire the best defensive mind out there and keep the offense intact.

That being said, we need someone who's had success at HC just like Dungy did at Tampa. Williams doesn't fit that criteria.

So, who are the choices then? Great defensive mind. Previous success as a head coach. Unemployed. Wants to coach the Texans. I'd love to see your list.
Old 11-24-2010   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree completely.

The only problem is that the Texans have no aim.
Old 11-24-2010   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, who are the choices then? Great defensive mind. Previous success as a head coach. Unemployed. Wants to coach the Texans. I'd love to see your list.
It's on my signature unless Parcells really wants to give it another shot. Maybe Jimmy Johnson, but he's been out of the game an awful long time. I also think that John Fox might be a good fit here. He had a good team until they got gutted.

I also like Brian Schottenheimer and Jim Harbaugh even though they don't fit the criteria I laid out. I think they have the right attitude to be successful head coaches.

I'm just scared of Gregg Williams because of his previous experience as a head coach. I'm just not convinced he's not Dom Capers v.2. Good DC, bad HC.

When the season's over, I think the Texans will probably be the best job in the NFL if McNair decides to make changes.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed

If McNair wants to hire from the asst. coach ranks Russ Grimm would be a good hire. He would bring toughness to this team. That it is currently lacking.

My top 3 candidates are

1.Parcells
2.Gruden
3.Billick sp? Lewis as DC= 1 SB win

Any of these would be a major upgrade over smithiak. Atleast they have a much better understanding of clock management/replay review than Kubes does.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dale,

What do you have agaist McNair hiring a proven winner?

McNair has proven he cant pick an asst. coach that's a winner.

The one thing a proven winner will bring with him is proven asst coaches. Unlike Kubes current staff, which I believe is the root of the Texans current problems.

Kubes didn't want to hire asst coaches that could take over if he failed. So he went the young asst coach route and we as fans are suffering though Kubes terrible decisions.

Give me a PROVEN WINNER PLEASE
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #18
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I'm assuming you have Billichek's pic because he sucked with the Browns but won three Super Bowls with the Pats right?
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
If he stays, he also needs to hire an effin' clock coach. Kubes can't manage a game clock to save his arse.
GM
HC
OC
DC

now:

CC!
Old 11-24-2010   #20
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

to ANYONE who thinks Cowher ,Gruden or any other "successful" coach is coming to Houston to coach...

This ain't Madden people and money is key to the kingdom and Uncle Bob ain't shelling out 10-12 mil per year for a "big named" head coach...

but yall keep dreaming...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read