Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2010   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default How many defensive coaching changes have the Texans endured?

Under Kubiak, we know he's had two defensive coordinators in Richard Smith and Frank Bush. Aside from that, I know he's changed DL coaches ,secondary coach, and I think LB coach. He hired Ray Rhodes, who does some sort of defensive voodoo whatever upstairs that isn't as effective as praying to Jobu. Am I missing anyone? It's not just a coordinator issue.
Old 11-23-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How many defensive coaching changes have the Texans endured?

Cerrano: "You no help me now, I say, **** you Jobu, I do it myself!"
Old 11-23-2010   #3
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Not enough.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

My dogs name is Jobu!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Under Kubiak, we know he's had two defensive coordinators in Richard Smith and Frank Bush. Aside from that, I know he's changed DL coaches ,secondary coach, and I think LB coach. He hired Ray Rhodes, who does some sort of defensive voodoo whatever upstairs that isn't as effective as praying to Jobu. Am I missing anyone? It's not just a coordinator issue.
He has had the same LB coach since he arrived, Johnny Holland.

He replaced Smith with Bush, he has had 3 different DL coaches in 5 years, and two DB guys with Hoke being replaced by Gibbs, Rhodes has been here as an assistant from the start of Kubaik's tenur.

For a non playoff team that is pretty stable.

Go look at Shanahan's defensive coaching changes in the same time span.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
He has had the same LB coach since he arrived, Johnny Holland.

He replaced Smith with Bush, he has had 3 different DL coaches in 5 years, and two DB guys with Hoke being replaced by Gibbs, Rhodes has been here as an assistant from the start of Kubaik's tenur.

For a non playoff team that is pretty stable.

Go look at Shanahan's defensive coaching changes in the same time span.
I don't see how 2 DCs and 3 DL coaches in that time span is stable. I get that playoff teams have turnover as they're coaches are sought for promotions elsewhere, but in the case of the Texans, they aren't having any success in these areas.

And hiring a different secondary coach and getting the results he's gotten is indictment enough.
Old 11-23-2010   #7
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that stands out to me is that the position coaches that he signs come from bad teams. Gibbs secondary was terrible in KC and it's terrible here. I don't know too much about Kollar's line in Buffalo other than Schoebel, but Buffalo as a whole was terrible. Now the d-line here is pretty bad. How about signing some coaches with a little bit of success on their resume.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2010   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
The thing that stands out to me is that the position coaches that he signs come from bad teams. Gibbs secondary was terrible in KC and it's terrible here. I don't know too much about Kollar's line in Buffalo other than Schoebel, but Buffalo as a whole was terrible. Now the d-line here is pretty bad. How about signing some coaches with a little bit of success on their resume.
The best our d-line ever played was the two years Jethro Franklin
was here. Jethro got under certain player's skin *cough (Mario)*.
Kubiak fired the only defensive coach not named Johnnie Holland
who had any success with the Houston Texans.

Last edited by DexmanC; 11-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm not mistaken, quite a few people were pretty optimistic about many of the hirings and firings.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't see how 2 DCs and 3 DL coaches in that time span is stable. I get that playoff teams have turnover as they're coaches are sought for promotions elsewhere, but in the case of the Texans, they aren't having any success in these areas.

And hiring a different secondary coach and getting the results he's gotten is indictment enough.
Kubiak goes with "I believe in him" vs. "proven results"

He hires from what he knows, not what he doesn't, again Kubiak has consistently prove that he's conversative in every aspect of his coaching career.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I get it. It's the "lack of stability" that's the cause of the Texans defensive woes.

Shoulda kept Richard Smith...
Old 11-23-2010   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I get it. It's the "lack of stability" that's the cause of the Texans defensive woes.

Shoulda kept Richard Smith...
LOL

Great Idea
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read