Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2010   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Team Schottenheimer

Actually I had a diehard Texans fan try to sell this one to me the other day. He made some good points and feels the man is due to finally win the big one with somebody. He referenced a couple of guys like Dick Vermeil and someone else I can't remember. The guy has won everyone he has gone, there is no arguing that. He has turned around some pretty poor teams. However my biggest issue with him is his age. The guy is 67.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Schottenheimer

Hell no. HELL no. No Marty Ball. I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.

No way, no how.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Hell no. HELL no. No Marty Ball. I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.

No way, no how.
Uh, I don't agree with that at all. I'd rather make the playoffs than not make the playoffs I don't care if our coach is Peter Griffin.

I think Marty would light some fires under players who need it, particularly Okoye and Mario. Also don't underestimate a coach's ability to surround himself with good coaches. Remember Marty had some damn good coordinators with him where ever he went.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Im going to bed Baaa a hupppp
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #5
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

He's old, but the guy averaged 10 wins a season. We have yet to get 10 wins. Ever.

I don't always buy the "can't win the big one" stuff. Peyton Manning was elite before he got his ring, and still is. Dan Marino and Warren Moon are still two of the greatest QB's in NFL history. As far as coaches I'd put Andy Reid up there with anyone except maybe Belichek, and the guy has yet to get a Super Bowl ring himself. Winning a Super Bowl takes a whole lot of skill, along with a little luck at the right time.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #6
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd love ole Marty, but I don't think it'll happen.
Old 11-23-2010   #7
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, I would absolutely hate him.
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2010   #8
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, I would absolutely hate him.
insightful
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
insightful
Do you think our offensive talent deserves an almost-exclusive "run, run, pass" system?
Old 11-23-2010   #10
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think our offensive talent deserves an almost-exclusive "run, run, pass" system?
Versus the "pass, pass, run" system? I'm up for just about anything at this point.
Old 11-23-2010   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Bottom line is, you go with a system that best benefits the players. Andre Johnson would be worthless under Marty Schottenheimer.

I would totally rather have Cowher, who is ironically, part of the Schottenheimer tree. Cowher is more flexible in the way he conducts his offense though, which is why I'd MUCH prefer him.
Old 11-23-2010   #12
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bottom line is, you go with a system that best benefits the players. Andre Johnson would be worthless under Marty Schottenheimer.

I would totally rather have Cowher, who is ironically, part of the Schottenheimer tree. Cowher is more flexible in the way he conducts his offense though, which is why I'd MUCH prefer him.
While he can turn a program around I'm not a Martyball fan. I'm on the Cowher-wagon, anything less than at least some talks with him will be extremely disappointing.
Old 11-23-2010   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I listened to Marty on Sirius NFL Radio quite a bit and he has said that he is done with coaching.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I actually would definitley be on board with Team Schottenheimer. As long as he brought with him a respectable defensive coordinator...would be the easiest transition considering our offensive talent.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #15
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I actually would definitley be on board with Team Schottenheimer. As long as he brought with him a respectable defensive coordinator...would be the easiest transition considering our offensive talent.
Wasn't Phillips the Younger his D Coordinator at SD?
Old 11-23-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade Phillips would be right there for him to reunite with. Thing about Schottenheimer is he always has his teams ready to play. This is a coach that talks to his teams about rivlaries and such. He also keeps them focused. He will talk to them when things are going bad and get them to keep playing.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Martys forte was defense ?
Regarding his age, who cares how old he is if he can win ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I thought Martys forte was defense ??
Correct. But the guy has a head for a good offensive coordinator. Had the Cheifs in the late 90's and then the Redskins and obviously Chargers with Cam Cameron.

I think he started as a linebackers coach on a few teams before being hired as a HC.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #19
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.
whaaaaaaat?

It's better to fail forever than to have some success if that success comes in a way that you don't like?
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #20
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141321 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Marty. He's insane!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read