Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How many years to playoffs with a new coach?
Next season with a new coach 26 43.33%
2 years 11 18.33%
3 years 7 11.67%
4+ years 16 26.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2010   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How long until Texans make the playoffs?

Simple question:

Given that we should have a new coach next year, how long until new coach gets us to playoffs considering the garbage we have in the secondary and possible scheme changes with a new coach?

I say 2 years only because there is too much garbage on the D to get rid of.

Plus this is the Texans we're talking about. Good things just don't happen, so I don't expect us to be one of these teams that all the sudden just wins with a new coach in year 1....that takes real sugar coating and heavily tinted rose glasses which I grew out of a long time ago.

Of course, should Kubiak and the Denny's menu still be here next year, this question doesn't matter as we'll be going another few years for sure without playoffs as we ride out Kubiaks extension.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How long until Texans make the playoffs?

I voted two years, but let's hope we don't get another failure at the head coaching position. Now that would really suck.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #3
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Simple question:

Given that we should have a new coach next year, how long until new coach gets us to playoffs considering the garbage we have in the secondary and possible scheme changes with a new coach?
At the pessimistic point I'm at right now.. I'd say..

Old 11-22-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I was leaning towards "Next year with a new coach," but I have
no faith in this ownership group to select the right coach, or fire
the current one.

If they hire the RIGHT coach, then the sky is the limit for this team.
The talent is there, but this team is EXTREMELY mentally lax in crucial situations.
Old 11-22-2010   #5
TrueTexanFan
Rookie

Section: 501

FIRE KUBIAK AND THE WE CAN TALK!!
TrueTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #6
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Next season with a new head coach. The Texans could maybe make it next year with a DC change, but you would still have the Kubiak mindset as head coach and the Texans would never get to the Super Bowl or go deep in the playoffs. He does not understand you play to win all the time. The difference between winning and losing is razor thin in the NFL.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

So majority of people so far think next year? Really?

Even with the garbage on Defense we need to turn over. A possible lockout that keeps the new coach from getting with the team early next year. The losing mentality of this fanchise.

Next year? Really?

Please someone explain the reasoning to me. I'm not attacking anyone, I seriously don't see it and want to be convinced.

I WANT to see the playoffs next year but I don't think that's a for real possibility.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2010   #8
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Simple question:

I say 2 years only because there is too much garbage on the D to get rid of.

Plus this is the Texans we're talking about. Good things just don't happen, so I don't expect us to be one of these teams that all the sudden just wins with a new coach in year 1....that takes real sugar coating and heavily tinted rose glasses which I grew out of a long time ago.

Of course, should Kubiak and the Denny's menu still be here next year, this question doesn't matter as we'll be going another few years for sure without playoffs as we ride out Kubiaks extension.
Should have and will are two separate things. Not so sure McNair will make the right call. I voted for next year with a new coach, but probably looking at 2 years if we make the switch from 4-3 to 3-4.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted 4+ years. I dont think McNair fires Kubiak. And he wastes 1-2 more years. Then we get a new coach who brings in a rookie QB and that takes 2-3 years. So 5 years?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont know who the HC is going to be.

Kubes 4+ yrs

Proven winner running the organization (Parcells,Gruden,Billick SP?) 1/2rs
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If we just had an average defense like we did last year we would've been in the playoffs this year.
Old 11-22-2010   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I was leaning towards "Next year with a new coach," but I have
no faith in this ownership group to select the right coach, or fire
the current one.

If they hire the RIGHT coach, then the sky is the limit for this team.
The talent is there, but this team is EXTREMELY mentally lax in crucial situations.
You seriously saying we have enough talent in the secondary to be able to fix this defense in 1 off-season? 2 years unless they hit FA really hard which is unlikely.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #13
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10083 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

In a couple of years when McNair finally comes around to the realization that Kubiak is a substandard coach who has built a substandard team. I'll guess the 2015 season, which would be the second year of who ever our new coach would be.

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i remember some guy sayin a while back 2011 or 2012 is when we will make it

hes sounding more and more right becasue he was saying that back in 2008
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that what we saw from the front seven this week only confims what I've thought all along. The secondary of this team is a SERIOUS problem. We need a playmaker at the S spot... and a CB that can take on the other team's number 1 receiver. If we could somehow get that this year I think we could still make the playoffs in this division. Obviously that won't happen but I don't see where we have more than one offseason to fix that.

I'll even say that for the most part this year... we haven't let the wheels fall off (the Cowpies and the Giants games not witstanding) and this team has actually shown some heart late in games (the last two and the washington games as examples). This team isn't that far.

This team is a bouqet of roses with 3 turd flowers. You get rid of those turd flowers and this team is suddenly just fine. That said, any group of flowers is terrible if there is a turd in it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think McNair is going to keep Kubiak as the Head Coach.
I think we're going to hire a new Defensive Coordinator.
I think we're going to make some sort of acquisition (veteran FA?) to for the secondary, most likely someone the new DC knows.

I think we'll see mild improvement in the secondary and that will have a huge effect on the overall defense. This in turn will really change how we're playing games and help our offense out a lot.

I think we'll make the playoffs next season.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #17
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131013 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't access the Jim Mora clip I want to post from work...

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #18
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted next year. That's assuming we have a new HC and coaching staff.
Old 11-22-2010   #19
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted 4+, been a Houston fan my whole life...nuff said.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #20
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

I say 2 years

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read