Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2010   #121
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: keep kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbots_02 View Post
that wasnt kubiaks fault directly...
Kubiak can't play. So he can never be "directly" responsible. Decisions made by Kubiak, however, impacted the results you described. Kubiak didn't play Arian Foster while Slaton was "fumbling a(ll) over the place" and Chris Brown was failing. Kubiak never brought in competition for Kris Brown when he struggled. His decision making, both in game and in season, is molasses slow. Eventually, the buck has to stop somewhere. Is it Glover Quin, Jason Allen, Frank Bush who gets the blame? Or the man who hired them?
Old 11-25-2010   #122
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Bigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK... I didnt really look at it like that. I still feel how I feel but you give a good arguement. Wit that said... So you fire Kubiak... Then what? You bring in some proven blood that will fix the def... does the offense stay the same? does it improve too? The truth is everyone wants change for the better but the grass isnt promised to be greener on the other side... maybe for 1 but not the overall picture. Plus, not as easy to fire kubiak right now... specially with no promise of football coming soon. You fire kubiak and sign someone else to a deal but there no football to play... what then?
Old 11-25-2010   #123
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a guy who is good at evaluating talent. Who will fied a team of tough guys that teams dont go for it on fourth and 1. Run a QB sneak with the ball on their own 36 with 5/6 mins left in the 4th qtr. (Jacksonville game, and Garrard gained 4 yds on the sneak. Which is pathetic. IMHO)

BTW why ys there not an asst coach on the team that's deemed as being worthy of the interim HC job? Why because Kubes didn't want to hire a guy who could take over for him if the Texans team went through its usual 4 game losing streak. Either that or Uncle BoB told Kubes he wasn't willing to pony up the $$$$ to hire the best asst. coaches.

JB, This is what we as fans dont know. But its got to be one or the other.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #124
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You fire kubiak and sign someone else to a deal but there no football to play... what then?
One of the central arguments for keeping Kubiak is the threat of a lockout/strike in the upcoming season. So it's not about keeping Kubiak based on his merits. Just the fear that the Texans chances at winning in 2011 would be poor if major changes are made.

Well, guess what? The Texans chances of winning in 2011 would be poor if changes aren't made. How can I make this claim? How about basing it on the previous results over the course of 5 seasons. I would say that the Texans are in the dreaded "damned if they do/damned if they don't" position if a lockout/strike occurs in 2011. So then, what's best for 2012? And beyond? The same old going nowhere fast, with Kubiak? Or a chance at something better with someone else?

I choose change. Because that's all that gives me hope.
Old 11-25-2010   #125
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK... I didnt really look at it like that. I still feel how I feel but you give a good arguement. Wit that said... So you fire Kubiak... Then what? You bring in some proven blood that will fix the def... does the offense stay the same? does it improve too? The truth is everyone wants change for the better but the grass isnt promised to be greener on the other side... maybe for 1 but not the overall picture. Plus, not as easy to fire kubiak right now... specially with no promise of football coming soon. You fire kubiak and sign someone else to a deal but there no football to play... what then?
The grass appears to be dead right now. This weeks win not withstanding.

So yes the grass would be greener on the other side. IMHO
Old 11-25-2010   #126
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I want a guy who is good at evaluating talent. Who will fied a team of tough guys that teams dont go for it on fourth and 1. Run a QB sneak with the ball on their own 36 with 5/6 mins left in the 4th qtr. (Jacksonville game, and Garrard gained 4 yds on the sneak. Which is pathetic. IMHO)

BTW why ys there not an asst coach on the team that's deemed as being worthy of the interim HC job? Why because Kubes didn't want to hire a guy who could take over for him if the Texans team went through its usual 4 game losing streak. Either that or Uncle BoB told Kubes he wasn't willing to pony up the $$$$ to hire the best asst. coaches.

JB, This is what we as fans dont know. But its got to be one or the other.

Yes. I agree to an extent. We as fans don't know if it is McNair saying no or Kubiak. We don't know that maybe Smith is unable to successful at enticing players and coaches to come here. Perhaps interviewing people for the position is not his strong suit. Do we really know how much control Kubiak has on who is brought in? I;m sure he has the say on the coaches, but even if he tells Smith he wants to bring in a certain FA, Smith still has to get it done.

Changes have to be made for this franchise to move forward. How extensive those changes should be? I don't know, but I think if Kubiak is fired then everyone below Cal McNair should also be fired. Speaking of the FO and coaching staff here.
Old 11-25-2010   #127
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Bigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I choose change. Because that's all that gives me hope.
Good stuff... I guess is you cant have a certainty, you've always got hope. I couldnt think of anything better to place my bet on then hope... I guess Im just still hoping they get it together
Old 11-25-2010   #128
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good stuff... I guess is you cant have a certainty, you've always got hope. I couldnt think of anything better to place my bet on then hope... I guess Im just still hoping they get it together
All this hopey change talk is reminding me of Obamas election.

Unlike with Obama, I agree....... only way I have hope for our next season is if changes are made.

If Kubiak returns, I will support this team, I just wont be expecting anything.
Old 11-25-2010   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
Brad Childress record 39-35 with 4 yrs head coach, made the playoffs twice. FIRED

Wade Phillips record 34-22 4.5 yrs head coach, made the playoffs twice. FIRED

Gary Kubiak record 35-39 4.5 yrs head coach, hasn't ever made the playoffs. ???

you do the math.
I know there are a lot of people here, who know more about football than I do. But some of these arguments don't make sense.

#1. If you don't make the play-offs, you're a bad team? The Patriots went 12-4 one year, & didn't make the play-offs. That's not the norm, I understand that, but good teams miss out on the play-offs all the time. Last year's Steelers, won the Super Bowl the year before, they are basically the same team they are now.... but they missed the play-offs in 2009. Same coach, same team.

#2. I look at those records, the Phillips with the Cowboys, Childress with the Vikings, & to me it looks like Kubiak has done a heck of a coaching job, considering the teams those guys had, and the guys we had.

#3. The biggest difference between the Cowboys/Vikings & the Texans, is that their play has got progressively worse, ours has got better. The last 4 games have actually been the better from a football standpoint than the first 4, even though we won 3 of the first 4, and lost all of the last 4, we have been playing better lately.

& I'm not making crap up, or saying things to be controversial, or to get a rise out of certain posters. That's my honest opinion.

If you don't agree... fine. If you think ill of me... fine. If you think I'm off my rocker... whatever.
Old 11-25-2010   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak can't play. So he can never be "directly" responsible. Decisions made by Kubiak, however, impacted the results you described. Kubiak didn't play Arian Foster while Slaton was "fumbling a(ll) over the place" and Chris Brown was failing.
Wasn't Foster's first carry a fumble against the SeaHawks?
Old 11-25-2010   #131
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing worries me more than our terrible defense because it is making fans ambivalent towards the firing of Kubiak. That is the worst possible thing that can happen to this team. If our defense leads to the firing of merely all defensive staff and a removal of blame for Kubiak, we are truly screwed.
Old 11-25-2010   #132
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wasn't Foster's first carry a fumble against the SeaHawks?
Foster fumbled in the Rams game, on his 3rd touch after a 13-yard catch and run. Arian sat the rest of the game. If your point is that Kubiak treats UDFAs differently than high picks that make mistakes (like Okoye & Kareem Jackson), then point taken.
Old 11-25-2010   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Foster fumbled in the Rams game, on his 3rd touch after a 13-yard catch and run. Arian sat the rest of the game. If your point is that Kubiak treats UDFAs differently than high picks that make mistakes (like Okoye & Kareem Jackson), then point taken.
We'll never know, but I believe had Slaton not fumbled so much early, had Moats not fumbled his chances away & had Chris Brown not fumbled his career away, Foster would have seen more action earlier. That early fumble wouldn't have been so costly to him (& us).
Old 11-25-2010   #134
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We'll never know, but I believe had Slaton not fumbled so much early, had Moats not fumbled his chances away & had Chris Brown not fumbled his career away, Foster would have seen more action earlier. That early fumble wouldn't have been so costly to him (& us).
The Foster fumble wasn't costly. The Texans won that Ram game (despite playing like crap). Foster went on to gain 216 yards and score 3 TDs in the next 2 Texans games. Both victories.
Old 11-25-2010   #135
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

actually TK, my post was MORE about their prospective records, than playoffs. Most on here know that making a playoff as an NFC team is easier than an AFC team. But a win/loss record is very indicative of a coach's ability to COACH.

Childress and Phillips didn't exactly take over the Colts team, either. They both had to build and use what talent was available to them to win games, IMHO.

win-loss records are pretty stand alone barometer's of a Head Coach's ability in this league. Both those guys were fired. With winning records. Kubiak doesn't even have that. Yet he is still here and entrenched in his position. HMMMM
Old 11-25-2010   #136
pokaholic777
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 pokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respectedpokaholic777 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak is a good HC, and I love his offense...The only reason we are so bad is the defense but he hired Bush so thats on him. What I would do is fire Frank Bush and hire Wade Phillips or someone with some experience. But I wouldnt mind if Kubiak was fired and they brought in Cowher, Gruden, Childress etc.
pokaholic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #137
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Who's fault is it when Kubes helped in picking the GM/Players/Asst.Coaches?

Kubes has his fingerprints all over this team.

If your goal is to have a solid playoff caliber team yr after yr Kubes isn't your guy IMHO.

Your right TK some good teams dont make the playoffs some yrs. Some yrs bad teams make the playoffs. Ex. NFC West, if the Texans make the playoffs (unlikely) they will be a bad team that made the playoffs and most likely with this defense one and done. IMHO
Old 11-25-2010   #138
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1944 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if during Kubiak's interview for this job if he'd have told McNair that in 5 years he wanted to try to get this team to .500 if he'd have been hired?
Just a thought.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #139
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroot View Post
Wonder if during Kubiak's interview for this job if he'd have told McNair that in 5 years he wanted to try to get this team to .500 if he'd have been hired?
Just a thought.
Do you really think his goal is just to get to .500?
Old 11-25-2010   #140
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1944 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Do you really think his goal is just to get to .500?
That's my point, if McNair knew then what he knows now Kubiak would never have gotten the job. He's been "underwhelming" to say the least.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read