Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2010   #81
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: keep kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
I think he is maturing as a coach.
It's Kubiak's 5th season. 5th. He is what he is and always has been.

Quote:
I think he is turning into a good head coach that did'nt know much about the defensive side of the ball...
There is no such thing as a "good" head coach that is ignorant of one phase of the game. That Kubiak knows little about defensive football in an indictment of his incompetence as head coach.

Quote:
there are two conditions. first the team must keep playing at a high level for the rest of this year.
Keep?
Quote:
Next we have to replace Bus. Kubiak should hand the defense over to the new guy and stay out of the way, draft picks included and he also should not have a vote in who the new guy is. That should be left to Mcnair and Smith.
Where to start? First, what does McNair or Rick Smith know about hiring a defensive coordinator? They have zero qualifications to make that decision. Kubiak has failed twice at the task. But, at least he has experience.

Next, I can't understand the logic behind keeping Kubiak, but emasculating him as the head coach. "No Gary, your opinion doesn't count when the opposition has the ball. Just go back to looking at your Denny's menu." This is the problem the Texans have, now. Not the solution to the problem. I'm dumbfounded by this logic (and to be fair, there are plenty of others who share this with you).

I won't insult you, even if I do not agree with your opinion. No one should. I hope that is clear to everyone.
Old 11-21-2010   #82
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak goes do you keep Smith? Most high profile coaches whoses names get dropped on the board are going to want control and if you go for another coordinator which isn't out of the question. Can Smith identify the talent to make this team a success. While we have had some good picks we have had some big misses in the draft and almost no FA help.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #83
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Re: keep kubiak

While we are at it why not see if we can get Casserly back?

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #84
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
If Kubiak goes do you keep Smith? Most high profile coaches whoses names get dropped on the board are going to want control and if you go for another coordinator which isn't out of the question. Can Smith identify the talent to make this team a success. While we have had some good picks we have had some big misses in the draft and almost no FA help.
Our GM deff needs to go our Draft picks have been pretty bad IMO lately

get a new GM that fits the New DC IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #85
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

There are others that hope the Texans keep Kubiak. We refer to them as Colts, Titans and Jags fans.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #86
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 11-21-2010   #87
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

There is no such thing as a "good" head coach that is ignorant of one phase of the game. That Kubiak knows little about defensive football in an indictment of his incompetence as head coach.

Keep?

Where to start? First, what does McNair or Rick Smith know about hiring a defensive coordinator? They have zero qualifications to make that decision. Kubiak has failed twice at the task. But, at least he has experience.

Next, I can't understand the logic behind keeping Kubiak, but emasculating him as the head coach. "No Gary, your opinion doesn't count when the opposition has the ball. Just go back to looking at your Denny's menu." This is the problem the Texans have, now. Not the solution to the problem. I'm dumbfounded by this logic (and to be fair, there are plenty of others who share this with you).

I won't insult you, even if I do not agree with your opinion. No one should. I hope that is clear to everyone.
first of all. how do you freakin do that with the quote's?

first point: i don't agree. i think you can get better after being a coach for 4+ years and I think he is getting better.

second point: your right about that. I'm actually changing my mind(a little) because of hearing that part of the arguement. Still... it might not be conventional but I think giving a good dc control of that side of the ball and letting Kubes run the offense and be head coach on game day would have a better chance of working than starting over.

third point: High level might of been a little strong but I have already explaned how playing tough on the road against tough opponents is playing good football. I'm not one of those guys who thinks one coach is an ***** and the other is a genious because of one or two plays at the end of a game.

4th point: You don't trust anyone to hire a dc so who do you think is going to be hiring our next head coach? Mcnair has already proven beyond a doubt that he got it wrong once and most people on this board would say twice. So your going to put your trust in that now?

thanks for not insulting me.lol
Old 11-21-2010   #88
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Our GM deff needs to go our Draft picks have been pretty bad IMO lately

get a new GM that fits the New DC IMO
this team is in to many close games against good opponents to have bad coaching and no talent. It's one or the other. I hope someone figures out which and gets it right.
Old 11-21-2010   #89
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
first of all. how do you freakin do that with the quote's?
Just copy the quote as many times as you want to respond and delete what's not material to your reply.
Quote:
4th point: You don't trust anyone to hire a dc so who do you think is going to be hiring our next head coach? Mcnair has already proven beyond a doubt that he got it wrong once and most people on this board would say twice. So your going to put your trust in that now?
That's a good point. My answer is that McNair must make an obvious hire. Someone whose qualifications has a NFL head coach are beyond reproach. A proven winner. Preferably, a Super Bowl winner. A "no brainer", if you will.

Quote:
thanks for not insulting me.lol
It's gotten that bad, has it? Nah, I spent some time on the houstontexans.com board this afternoon, and that was a zoo. I'll just stay here, thank you very much.
Old 11-21-2010   #90
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is probably an above average Offensive Coordinator. IMO Dom Capers is an above average Defensive Coordinator. IMO Neither one of them made it as decent Head Coach. It's really just that simple.

And don't forget that this entire team is 'the house that Kubiak built'. Including our GM who was hired AFTER Kubiak got here and has Denver ties. This entire staff is Kubiak oriented and hand picked. Including Schaub.

Kubiak picked this entire coaching department and has repeatedly said 'it's on me'', so let him shoulder the repercussions of his poor decisions. The 53 man football team is hand picked by him. The 45 that dress out. The FA's hired since the season started. The draft choices. EVERYTHING is Kubiak's hand built machine.

It is unfortunately failing miserably. Time to scrap this Carr, AGAIN, and move ON/FORWARD.

Keep Kubiak?? Yeah, as a waterboy. Anything higher would be an insult to the fans of this team. Who, co-incidently, HAVE been around longer than Kubiak.
Old 11-21-2010   #91
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this team is in to many close games against good opponents to have bad coaching and no talent. It's one or the other. I hope someone figures out which and gets it right.
They have a good offense that keepsthem in games, but that's coupled with bad time management and bad player development/coaching on the defensive side of the ball. The talent level on the defense is hard to discern. The regression this year of the defense probably is both a lack of good coaching and finding the right mix of players. There have been numerous high defensive draft picks. Where are they now, save Williams and Cushing?
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #92
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Raheem Morris is doing a better job in 2 years, than what Kubiak has
done in five. In TODAY'S NFL, it doesn't take long to improve from
gutting the front office.
Old 11-21-2010   #93
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

This is beyond amazing at this point that Kubiak still has his little followers that somehow believe in this clown.

All validity anyone had as far as football goes is right out the window for me if they're still trying to make arguments for Kubiak at this point. It just isn't a person with respectable analysis that's capable of any observations at this point if that's their theory.

This thread is unbelievable.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #94
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I actually agree with you on this. I think firing him is a defensible position, but this d coordinator is killing us. I also don't think you allow Kubiak to pick out the d coordinator. Get someone who is proven and clean house with the position coaches on defense. These guys need to start over from the ground up.
I thought Kubiak was a heck of a coach last year, when all the injuries hit us, & we still managed to go 9-7. He didn't make a big deal about the injuries, fans didn't give him any credit... he had to depend on players acquired for special roles playing major roles.

He brought Frank Bush in last year & his simplified scheme helped us turnaround what was perennially one of the worse defenses in the league.

This year, we never got started right. Cushing, Barwin, Wilson... all in the first 4 games. Then we got a rookie we're trying to acclimate to the NFL. Then we lose Ryans, now Diles....

This years schedule is tougher than last years. 9-7 would be better than 9-7 last year.

Which is why he should have found a way to go 10-6 last year. It sucks being Kubiak. 5 years is a long time, too long. IF we don't make the play-offs, I don't think he should be here.
Old 11-22-2010   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
at the end of the season Mcnair will go over his company from top to bottom and see what needs to be done

Nothing has changed Kubes better start winning like next week if he want to keep his job
Agree.

He needs to know 10-6 might not get him in. But he & his team better find some way to be 10-6 at the end of the year.

Tennessee, Philly, Baltimore, Denver, Tennessee, Jags... & we better not lose the tie breaker to the Jets again.
Old 11-22-2010   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Quality offenses don't have to play catchup every single week, after scoring minimal points in the first half.

Quality offenses control the ball for the WHOLE game. This is one of those cases where lofty stats are misleading and provide no insight as to the true effectiveness of this offense.
This has been the problem all season.
Old 11-22-2010   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Stats are misleading, just imagine if we had even a high school quality defense to get the ball back for the offense some other way than letting the other team score.
This game was virtually identical to the Giants game. Offense did nothing in the first half. Defense was out of their mind, 3rd Qtr against the Giants, 4th Qtr against the Jets. 2 turnovers, several punts, several opportunities for our offense to take control.......

never happened.
Old 11-22-2010   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That's a good point. My answer is that McNair must make an obvious hire. Someone whose qualifications has a NFL head coach are beyond reproach. A proven winner. Preferably, a Super Bowl winner. A "no brainer", if you will.
I think McNair screwed up by hiring Kubiak's buddy, Rick Smith.

He needs to hire a VP of football operations. A Parcells, Holmgren, Reeves kind of guy.... Maybe a Jimmy Johnson, if JJ doesn't want to coach, maybe that would be the perfect gig for him.
Old 11-22-2010   #99
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is a good guy and maybe, after time away from HC duties, he will digest this experience and emerge a better coach. But, as a guy invested time following underdog squads during the interregnum of no Houston NFL football, stuck in a broadcast zone featuring the 49ers and the Raiders, when I see stuff like the following coming from players, I know the coach is losing the team.

Quote:
"I feel bad for the coaches," Mario Williams said.

Talk about a kiss of death.

The bad news is Texans players are still standing up for the coaches.

"Somebody is going to have to take flak for this," Antonio Smith said. "At the beginning of the season it's going to be the players - I've seen it happen before. Toward the end of the season, people are going to start saying it's the coaches. It's not. It's the unit.

"We got to figure it out. Right now I don't know what it is that we have to do, it seems like we have the toughest luck. But I know that if we lose faith, nothing is going to happen.

"I feel for each and every person involved with this organization from top to bottom. It just feels like we we're there. People are going to take criticism, and I don't know what it is that we have to find, but it's a small thing (keeping) us from being a playoff dominant team to us failing at the end of games like we're doing now."
There seemed to be a little more "talk" between defensive teammates, especially after blown assignments.

All said the politically correct thing afterward, but the tension is mounting. Smith was asked if he thought the team was starting to point fingers.

"It's hard to tell," Smith said. "Sometimes it feels like it. It feels like we need to play more together as a unit. If we keep having arguments among each other, that means that the devil is still in the midst. We have to have faith in whatever it is that we're doing. That never fails. Just keep faith and the Lord is going to see us through this. If you don't, if you doubt, you're going to keep coming up with the same ending. The same ending and not learning from it."

They need prayer, people.

"They day that we figure out that it is a team game, and stop pointing fingers, in any directions - as far as coaches, DBs, D-line, linebackers - is the day that we'll grow up and start winning," Smith said. "You'll never take this game to the Super Bowl thinking this is an 'I' sport. You'll never do it. I've been a part of it, and the moment we figured that out is the moment when we started winning."

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon...in_kubiak.html
The Solomon link has more, but I'll be surprised if Kubiak holds on to this job after this season.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #100
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read