Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2010   #1
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do the Texans have a chance against the Jets?

In trying to makes some sense of this disappointing season, I have done various things to try to figure out the obvious questions. I have broken down stats, re-watched game film, played the what if game, blamed the referees for terrible calls, hypothesized that the injury bug was the root of the problems, called for defensive coordinator Frank Bush's head and demanded Gary Kubiak to be fired. I looked to "Uncle BOB" for the answers but he told me that Gary Kubiak is doing a fine job. Dejected and frustrated, I have turned to the one thing that has never let me down. "Magic 8 Ball, can the Texans beat the Jets this week?" Yes, of course!

I realize that the Magic 8 Ball is right. The Texans CAN beat the Jets in the same manner they beat the Colts during the first game.
  1. Run, Arian, run! In running the best RB in the NFL, the Texans can control the clock, keep the defense well rested, wear down the Jets line, render their great pass rush useless, give their best corners in the league NOTHING to defend, and limit the time that Mark Sanchez will be picking on our corners. The key here is to keep the Jets pass rush away from Matt Schaub, as they have been monsters and we have not protected the QB well at at. What do you call a quarterback with no arms and no legs? ~ Matt.
  2. Play James Allen! Allen, a corner back with experience at strong safety, was claimed off waivers earlier and the Texans have not played him yet. Gary said he would suit up. Allen could help us out with experience and depth at two positions. Maybe he should write, "Play me, Gary!" on his shoes.
  3. Put pressure on Mark Sanchez by constantly blitzing. Use DE Mark Anderson, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, and T Amobi Okoye all day. Mix in safety blitzes and corner blitzes. Throw in the kitchen sink! Mark will beat our corners whether we put pressure on him or not so we might as well thank him with a shot at his ribs.
  4. Win the turnover battle....see #3.
By calling plays that suit our strengths (running) while not allowing the Jets to use theirs (pass rush, corner backs), the Texans will have a real shot at winning. I do understand that the Magic 8 Ball is just a toy and the Texans will not follow my game plan because Gary has been stubborn all year.

My prediction....if we follow the steps above Texans 27-21.....if not.....Jets 33-20.

Go Texans! Take down the Jets.

P.S. Matt, when you are rolling, have no receivers down field, and you are going to throw it in the stands, please knock that Fireman's hat off his head. He is a great fan but it would do me proud to see his face after that and give me a chance to give him hell about it!
Old 11-21-2010   #2
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do the Texans have a chance against the Jets?

The Jets keep winning in head-shaking, fluky ways. And the Texans keep LOSING in head-shaking, fluky ways. What does that tell you?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
In trying to makes some sense of this disappointing season, I have done various things to try to figure out the obvious questions. I have broken down stats, re-watched game film, played the what if game, blamed the referees for terrible calls, hypothesized that the injury bug was the root of the problems, called for defensive coordinator Frank Bush's head and demanded Gary Kubiak to be fired. I looked to "Uncle BOB" for the answers but he told me that Gary Kubiak is doing a fine job. Dejected and frustrated, I have turned to the one thing that has never let me down. "Magic 8 Ball, can the Texans beat the Jets this week?" Yes, of course!

I realize that the Magic 8 Ball is right. The Texans CAN beat the Jets in the same manner they beat the Colts during the first game.
  1. Run, Arian, run! In running the best RB in the NFL, the Texans can control the clock, keep the defense well rested, wear down the Jets line, render their great pass rush useless, give their best corners in the league NOTHING to defend, and limit the time that Mark Sanchez will be picking on our corners. The key here is to keep the Jets pass rush away from Matt Schaub, as they have been monsters and we have not protected the QB well at at. What do you call a quarterback with no arms and no legs? ~ Matt.
  2. Play James Allen! Allen, a corner back with experience at strong safety, was claimed off waivers earlier and the Texans have not played him yet. Gary said he would suit up. Allen could help us out with experience and depth at two positions. Maybe he should write, "Play me, Gary!" on his shoes.
  3. Put pressure on Mark Sanchez by constantly blitzing. Use DE Mark Anderson, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, and T Amobi Okoye all day. Mix in safety blitzes and corner blitzes. Throw in the kitchen sink! Mark will beat our corners whether we put pressure on him or not so we might as well thank him with a shot at his ribs.
  4. Win the turnover battle....see #3.
By calling plays that suit our strengths (running) while not allowing the Jets to use theirs (pass rush, corner backs), the Texans will have a real shot at winning. I do understand that the Magic 8 Ball is just a toy and the Texans will not follow my game plan because Gary has been stubborn all year.

My prediction....if we follow the steps above Texans 27-21.....if not.....Jets 33-20.

Go Texans! Take down the Jets.

P.S. Matt, when you are rolling, have no receivers down field, and you are going to throw it in the stands, please knock that Fireman's hat off his head. He is a great fan but it would do me proud to see his face after that and give me a chance to give him hell about it!
Good post.

My problem going into this game is that Kubiak's game planning has never made very much sense to me. I hope I'm wrong, but if the questionable Kubiak decision tree continues on its established path, expect:

1)Arian will RUN the ball 15 times..........Matt will RUN for his life 20 times.

2)James Allen will be sharpening Kareem's cleats before he goes onto the field..........Kareem will STILL fall down.

3)We will all out blitz, and the LBs and safeties will be so excited that the Jets' "slot" machine will hit the jackpot.

4)Kubiak misinterprets what it means to WIN the turnover battle. He is seen celebrating on the sidelines after every time we turn the ball over to the Jets. And when the game is nearly over you can hear him screaming, "Texans 4 turnovers, Jets 2 turnovers.............WE'RE GONNA WIN!"

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no expectations of anything from the Texans other than their usual mid-season four game losing streak. I'll be watching and hoping they don't continue that tread today, but I'm expecting the Jets to lay the wood on us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #5
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen from Sanchez this year and last, he's liable to make mistakes when pressured. The Jets have adjusted for that well and call quicker plays. If we remain in the soft zone like we have been for several weeks now, we get killed with the dink and dunk. See Jacksonville game.

I have very little hope for this game. Our offense has to be perfect, and our defense has to step up to win this one.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #6
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jets held Green Bay to 9...I don't see us scoring over 14.

34-13, Jets
Old 11-21-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting to see the Jets come into this game flat and complacent.
The problem is I'm doubtful that the Texans will take advantage of this situation as they may be as indifferent about playing today as the Jets.
I hope they surprise me.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2010   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Since the Texans are not expected by anyone to even compete in today's contest, that should enable them to relax, play well and win.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing that I don't hear mentioned is that the Jets are only 2-2 at home.
Old 11-21-2010   #10
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Since the Texans are not expected by anyone to even compete in today's contest, that should enable them to relax, play well and win.
I'm glad to see that it's not just me that has noticed this. I'm just hoping no one picks us as their upset of the week...it seems that if we are expected to lose we win...also the 'Horns won yesterday and my pain in the butt project at work turned around so I'm having a great week. I hope my good luck rubs off on them (since I'm pretty close to the game) and some how this turns in our favor!

GO TEXANS!!
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #11
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

to answer the original thread question....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
One thing that I don't hear mentioned is that the Jets are only 2-2 at home.
They'll get off of that dead-lock today.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #13
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post Ted!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #14
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32527 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like if the Texans do pull out a win, there is going to be a lot of pissed off people on this board.
Old 11-21-2010   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Seems like if the Texans do pull out a win, there is going to be a lot of pissed off people on this board.
I don't believe as much pissed off as rightfully shocked.
Old 11-21-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32527 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't believe as much pissed off as rightfully shocked.
While there will be a lot of shocked people, there will be a lot pissed figuring that it will make it that more difficult for Kubiak to be fired.
Old 11-21-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
While there will be a lot of shocked people, there will be a lot pissed figuring that it will make it that more difficult for Kubiak to be fired.
Gotcha.
Old 11-21-2010   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I do want Kubiak to go away, if he can turn the team around and win and get us into the playoffs, then he's the man for the job. I don't care as much about Kubiak leaving as I do the Texans winning. If they hired a zombie extra from The Walking Dead for head coach I'd have no problem with that as long as they win games.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I bet a friend that is a diehard Redskins fan that the Texans will lose by less than the Redskins will today against the Titans. Good or bad bet for me?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read