34. Jake Locker, Washington, QB

35. Orlando Franklin, Miami (Fla.), OT

36. Greg Romeus, Pitt, DE

37. Raheem Moore*, S, UCLA

38. Blaine Gabbert*, QB, Missouri

39. Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss, NT

40. Marvin Austin, North Carolina, DT

*Underclassmen
Of particular interest to us Texans fans is only 1 S in his rankings. FS, Raheem Moore, UCLA (6'1" 196lbs.) at #37.

The CB rankings are as follows:
6. Patrick Peterson*, LSU, CB 6'1" 222lbs.
8. Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6'1" 205lbs.
20. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado 6'2" 205lbs.

While DB prospects seem sparse, the DL prospects are aplenty:
3. Nick Fairley, Auburn, DT 6'5" 298lbs.
4. Da'Quan Bowers*, Clemson, DE 6'4" 275lbs.
5. Cameron Jordan, Cal, DE 6'4" 283 lbs.
9. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6'4" 285lbs.
10. Robert Quinn*, North Carolina, DE 6'5" 270lbs.
14. Stephen Paea, Oregon State, DT 6'1" 311lbs.
32. Cameron Heyward, Ohio State, DE 6'5" 288lbs.
36. Greg Romeus, Pitt, DE 6'6" 270lbs.
39. Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss, NT 6'2" 320lbs.
40. Marvin Austin, North Carolina, DT 6'3" 310lbs.

I hope we get a DT in the 1st or 2nd round that can collapse the pocket. That is sorely lacking from our defense right now.

Patrick Peterson please
PatrickPeterson_display_image.jpg

Patrick Peterson please
PatrickPeterson_display_image.jpg

Peterson in the 1st and Moore in the 2nd would solve alot of this secondaries problems.

On a side note Allen looked better than anything that's been at CB this year.

Not great but better

Okoye was doing a good job collapsing the pocket today.

Every time Sanchez ran up the middle, okoye and Cody were on the sides of the pocket allowing sanchez a free run for 5+ yards (sometimes hindering the DEs too). We need a DT that can hold the line and push, not roll to the sides trying to get sacks. I noticed a lot of that this season, once where Mario ran into Okoye on the way to a sack. It just looks sloppy to me.

Every time Sanchez ran up the middle, okoye and Cody were on the sides of the pocket allowing sanchez a free run for 5+ yards (sometimes hindering the DEs too). We need a DT that can hold the line and push, not roll to the sides trying to get sacks. I noticed a lot of that this season, once where Mario ran into Okoye on the way to a sack. It just looks sloppy to me.

If you want this type of DT then Smithiak have to go.

They've had 5yrs to find this type of DT. I dont look for them to find one any time soon.

A lot of that is the defensive calls. Okoye was in the backfield a lot today. He was also pursuing down field, which the other DL were not.

I am surprised to see (22. Mark Ingram*, Alabama, RB) so far down on the list.

I would love to see:

1: Raheem Moore*, S, UCLA
2: Kyle Rudolph*, Notre Dame, TE

or

1: Raheem Moore*, S, UCLA
2: Marvin Austin, North Carolina, DT

maybe Rick will grow a pair & trade up? need secondary impact playmaker. can also return both punts & kick-offs. his value to Texans should put him @ the top of their board.

I'm actually for trading down

Then trading back into the bottonm of the 1st rd. Giving this team 2 1st rd picks.

Rd.1 Aaron Williams
Rd.1 Kerrigan.
Rd2 Barron

That would be a dream senario. IMHO

It will never happen because Uncle BoB will not want to pay two 1st rd picks especially during the lockout.

I'm actually for trading down

Then trading back into the bottonm of the 1st rd. Giving this team 2 1st rd picks.

Rd.1 Aaron Williams
Rd.1 Kerrigan.
Rd2 Barron

That would be a dream senario. IMHO

It will never happen because Uncle BoB will not want to pay two 1st rd picks especially during the lockout.

I understand but my patience is at an all time low. Texans must improve now :polevault:

Too bad Peterson will be long gone when we pick.

On his show one morning, LZ said that he's heard some things from scouts regarding Peterson, and that he'll likely slip a little bit once draft season kicks off. Given that and the way the Texans are playing, I wouldn't dismiss it totally out of hand that he's there when we pick.

Is Peterson a CB for this team or could he be the REALLY BADASS Free Safety we've all been wanting?

check him out tomorrow against Arkansas & potential 1st rd. QB Ryan Mallet then tell me what you think :)

Jeff: LSU vs. Arkansas - 5 things to watch

Jeff Palermo Reporting

One of the most memorable regular seasons in LSU history comes to a close Saturday in Little Rock as two teams battling for a BCS Bowl berth meet. Based on last week's game against Ole Miss and the recent history of the LSU-Arkansas series, expect another game that goes down to the wire.

This one might be just as exciting as the Saints-Cowboys instant classic on Thanksgiving Day. Here are five things to watch, as these two SEC West rivals battle in Little Rock.

1. LSU's defense against Ryan Mallett

Arkansas has the best passing offense in the Southeastern Conference and the Tigers are number one in pass defense. We've seen LSU struggle against spread option offenses, but Arkansas has a more conventional offense than Auburn and Ole Miss. Expect LSU to dial up the blitz. Coach Les Miles said it's important to make Mallett move his feet in the hopes he'll make some mistakes.

2. Which team will be able to establish a running game?

Mallett is the face of the Arkansas offense, but the Razorbacks also have a good running game. Sophomore running back Knile Davis' development is a big reason why the Razorbacks have won five in a row. Davis has rushed for over 100 yards in four of those games. In his last two contests, he's rushed for 369 yards.

Arkansas also has one of the biggest offensive lines in the SEC. They've also had the same five players start on their o-line.

LSU also wants to control the game on the ground. Stevan Ridley is 33 yards away from 1,000 for the season, Michael Ford has developed into a solid back-up, and quarterback Jordan Jefferson has become a confident runner. Arkansas has struggled to stop the run, so LSU might win this battle.

3. What does Jordan Jefferson do for an encore?

Jefferson is coming off his best game in an LSU uniform as he earned SEC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performance against Ole Miss. Jefferson has played really well in the last two SEC games. Both were in Tiger Stadium, so let's see if he can take this new found confidence on the road.

Jarrett Lee is expected to replace Jefferson on the Tigers third possession. But if Jefferson has the hot hand, Lee will only see a limited number of snaps.

4. Kicking game should play a role

Special teams played a huge role in this game last year. Trindon Holliday had an 87-yard punt return for a touchdown, but a muffed punt to help Arkansas get back in the game. The Tigers eventually won, thanks to a game-tying field goal by Josh Jasper and he hit the game winner in overtime.

On Saturday, Jasper will be kicking in his last regular season game. Zach Hocker is a promising place kicker for the Hogs. The freshman is 12 of 14 on the season. Patrick Peterson is one of the top punt returners in the country, but Arkansas' Joe Adams actually leads the SEC in punt return average.

LSU also struggled in kick off coverage last week. Starters like Kelvin Sheppard and Stevan Ridley could find themselves on special teams, if Arkansas puts together a couple of good returns.

5. 4th Quarter

The last five games in this series have been decided by five points or less, with two of those games decided in overtime. Arkansas has been outscored 100 to 83 in the 4th quarter this season, while LSU has outscored its opponents 103 to 62 in the final quarter.

That's why I like LSU to win Saturday. They have a refuse to lose attitude, which will be on display again. The Tigers win 31 to 27.

Mallet went away from Petersons side everytime, that just one reason why he adds more value as a FS, of course not too shabby if he can lock down the other teams #1 as well. Just one of those special talents that stand out a man against boys, see Andre Johnson who was selected by the Texans 3rd overall. here is the latest-
11/24/2010 - It's no secret that LSU junior cornerback Patrick Peterson played his final game in Tiger Stadium on Saturday. He will pass up his senior season and enter the NFL draft where he will be one of the top five players selected. Tigers PA announcer Dan Borne knows Peterson won't be returning and at the conclusion of Saturday's win over Ole Miss, said "Thanks for the memories Patrick." Many LSU players wanted Peterson to take part on Seniors Day for the Tigers during the Ole Miss game. "Everybody who's anybody says he's going to be a top five pick," cracked Tigers middle linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, who will probably be drafted in the second round in the NFL talent lottery. "Everybody knows he's going pro," said Tigers running back Stevan Ridley. "That's not a secret." Peterson, a 6-foot-1, 222-pound junior from Pompano Beach, Fla., is large for a cornerback and is already considered the best at his position in the country. His younger brother, a wide receiver, has committed to LSU. "This is my last time playing here this season," said Peterson before the Ole Miss game. "But me and my dad and Coach Les Miles and the other coaches will come together after the bowl game and weigh the options." Even as a senior, Peterson would not go any higher in the draft. - Ed Staton, Bayoubuzz.com

Athletes of Petesons stature rarely come along. If he falls to the # 5 and the Texans are at # 15 I would try to trade up. Even if that meant giving up my 1st and 2nd rd picks this yr and a 2012 2nd.

My draft would look like this

Rd1 Peterson who I would play at FS
Rd3 Barron SS

My draft would take what is currently a joke of a secondary and make it a team strength. Imagiine S with sped and ability. The Texans have never had a decent S much less 2 ultra talented S. Finally a secondary to be proud of. Uncle Bob will never do this because it reqires spending $$$$

But one can dream.

Back