Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-19-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerry Jones may seek Rooney Rule exemption

What is good for the goose is ONLY good for the goose. The hen, that is. The gander doesn't give away golden eggs.

Quote:
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will be tiptoeing through a minefield if interim coach Jason Garrett continues to win football games.

Under the Rooney Rule, Jones won’t be able to hand the permanent job to Garrett before the season ends, since Jones will be required to interview at least one minority candidate for the position.

And Jones knows it. As a result, he’s already talking about trying to get an “exemption” to the Rooney Rule.

“There are some extenuating circumstances that are involved here,” Jones said in his weekly appearance on KRLD radio, per Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “On my decision and how we make it, I’ll have the opportunity to present that to the league, so we’ll see how that goes. But I really can’t give you any type of answer there because I’m not so sure I’m through working the process.”

LINK

Frankly, there are no extenuating circumstances. Every team that fires a head coach during the season must hire an interim coach. And after the season the team must comply with the Rooney Rule when hiring the next permanent coach, an assignment which rarely has much permanence.

Jones easily could have avoided the problem by: (1) not firing former head coach Wade Phillips until the season ends; or (2) signing Garrett to a contract that promised to make him the head coach after Phillips’ tenure ends.

Either way, Jones should be saying nothing about “extenuating circumstances” or anything else to suggest that he plans to hire Garrett. Jones must keep his cards pressed against his vest. If minority candidates believe that Jones is merely dotting his i’s and crossing his t’s (like he did nearly eight years ago when conducting a perfunctory telephone interview of Dennis Green, which forced the league to thereafter require in-person interviews under the Rooney Rule), minority candidates won’t agree to interview for the job — and Jones will be unable to avoid violating the Rooney Rule.

Unless he gets an “exemption,” which is fancy talk for “the rules don’t apply to me.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerry Jones may seek Rooney Rule exemption

I dont know, this makes sense to me. If you have an interim coach at the end of the season, you should be allowed to just hire him full time. Its ridiculous to bring in a guy that you know you wont hire.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

to your point, rmartin, it's a slap in the face to the interviewee
Old 11-19-2010   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I dont know, this makes sense to me. If you have an interim coach at the end of the season, you should be allowed to just hire him full time. Its ridiculous to bring in a guy that you know you wont hire.
I hear and agree with what you are saying, but others have had to play by that rule and now Jerry will also. No other owner was so full of it he or she ever thought publicly of making a challenge to the rule. Personally I think the rule sucks also, but until it goes off the books Jerry is stuck with it.

I don't know, I just hate JJ. *sigh*
Old 11-19-2010   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
It is to all, which is why it sucks.
Old 11-19-2010   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. Might as well be grabbing a random guy off the street, the chance they will get hired is about the same.
Old 11-19-2010   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I hear and agree with what you are saying, but others have had to play by that rule and now Jerry will also. No other owner was so full of it he or she ever thought publicly of making a challenge to the rule. Personally I think the rule sucks also, but until it goes off the books Jerry is stuck with it.

I don't know, I just hate JJ. *sigh*
Oh, I hate the leather-face as well, but I think he is right in this instance.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Rooney Rule was voted on and universally accepted by the NFL owners........once for the HC position and once for the upper front office positions. Written into the rule was that it didn't apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening. For as long as we have heard that Jerruh was "grooming" Garrett for Phillips' job, it is mind boggling that this was not done.......and now Jerruh wants an exemption for his short-sightedness.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

All he's gotta do is pay some nobody (that happens to be black) to apply for the job.

Stupid rule.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Let Dungy interview, he likes the spotlight anyways. Win-win.
Old 11-21-2010   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let him promote from within.

Less competition for better candidates for the Texans.
Old 11-21-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind the Rooney rule, but I don't have a problem with Jones getting an exemption here.

Why make him interview candidates if he already has his guy...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #13
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 6353 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole league should get a permanent exemption from this stupid rule.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't mind the Rooney rule, but I don't have a problem with Jones getting an exemption here.

Why make him interview candidates if he already has his guy...
Yeah , seems like such a waste of time if he has his mind made up ..... and bringing someone in for an interview just because of the color of their skin is kinda silly to begin with.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , seems like such a waste of time if he has his mind made up ..... and bringing someone in for an interview just because of the color of their skin is kinda silly to begin with.
You do know that coaches like Dungy, Tomlin, Smith, and Green wouldn't have
been able to make their marks on the NFL without such a rule, right? (the
rule was formed as a reaction to the exlusion of *minority* candidates from
even an interview.)
Old 11-22-2010   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Quote:
Exactly. There should be one standing exception to the Rooney rule and that should be for interim coaches who are then given the postion full time. The interim coach must have been on-staff under the former coach in this case. No firing Gary Kubiak and then hiring Bill Cowher to be your "interim coach" for the rest of the season to get around the rule.

That should be the only way it doesn't come into play.
Old 11-22-2010   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very true.

What's more of a slap in the face, to act as if the interviewee has a shot or to tell him right off the bat that he's interviewing only because a minority candidate has to be interviewed?
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
You do know that coaches like Dungy, Tomlin, Smith, and Green wouldn't have
been able to make their marks on the NFL without such a rule, right?
(the
rule was formed as a reaction to the exlusion of *minority* candidates from
even an interview.)
The rule wasn't formed as a reaction to the exclusion of minority candidates from an interview. How does what your saying make logical sense? If black head coaching candidates are being excluded from interviews because of their skin color, why would they be hired after they are interviewed?

The rule was formed to give the NFL a higher chance of having more black head coaches, because (a) people were getting upset about the low number of them and (b) it looks better.

In reference to the bolded, the Rooney Rule was established in 2003. Dungy was hired in 1996. Green was hired in 1992.

Honestly, the Rooney Rule is for looks IMO. Well kinda. It surely has given black candidates more opportunities but I don't think it is getting anybody hired. If the owner is racist and won't hire a guy cause of his skin color, an interview will not change that. That's the bottom line.

It's different than affirmative action in that affirmative action requires the hiring of a specific gender/race. This rule simply requires the interview. Pretty large difference.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read