Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rex Ryan - "Kareem Jackson's going to be an outstanding player"

If you're like me and you've lost all respect for any opinion this coaching staff voices, you've probably ignored any of the press quotes about Kareem. They're usually something like "he's making mistakes now but he'll get better" blah blah blah.

Well when I read this I felt a lot more positively about our 1st rounder.

Quote:
On the challenges for a rookie corner like Kareem Jackson: “Kareem Jackson’s going to be an outstanding player – an outstanding player… It’s just a different game. The skill level is phenomenal in this league. You may have a guy covered in college, what you think is covered in college, well, that’s open in the NFL… Everybody makes mistakes. They’re all going to get beat. I mean, Darrelle Revis gave up a touchdown this year. You know, those things happen. But the guys that make it are the ones that can learn from it and take coaching.”
Rex Ryan is no BSer. I think if he thought Kareem was a bust or just drafted too high, he would've said it in so many words. I bet if anything he's thinking "if only we could get him in a room with OUR coaches how much better would he be?" Either way, it should make us feel better that when Kubiak and Rick Smith are gone next year (fingers crossed), we won't be left with a 1st round bust on our hands. If Rex believes in Kareem, I believe in Kareem.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rex Ryan - "Kareem Jackson's going to be an outstanding player"

Sounds good.

Can we get him some better coaching, please?
Old 11-17-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Rex Ryan and his crafty tricks. Trying to get Glover to let down his guard!
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
I mean, Darrelle Revis gave up a touchdown this year. You know, those things happen.
Sounded like a back-handed compliment to me.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Sounded like a back-handed compliment to me.
I don't see it that way. I see how you're seeing it, but I just don't think that's Rex's intention. I think he's just using that as an example to say "even if you're the best in the league you're gonna get beat at times."

Besides I don't think Rex does the whole back-handed compliment thing. He's a straight shooter.
Old 11-17-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
If you're like me and you've lost all respect for any opinion this coaching staff voices, you've probably ignored any of the press quotes about Kareem. They're usually something like "he's making mistakes now but he'll get better" blah blah blah.

Well when I read this I felt a lot more positively about our 1st rounder.

Rex Ryan is no BSer. I think if he thought Kareem was a bust or just drafted too high, he would've said it in so many words. I bet if anything he's thinking "if only we could get him in a room with OUR coaches how much better would he be?" Either way, it should make us feel better that when Kubiak and Rick Smith are gone next year (fingers crossed), we won't be left with a 1st round bust on our hands. If Rex believes in Kareem, I believe in Kareem.
Rex Ryan is a 3-4 coach and sees KJ as a 3-4 corner which he could be with a really good safety over the top as a wingman. Jackson has a long way to go to be a 4-3 CB. Believe what you want.
Old 11-17-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Rex handed out many compliments last year too. Then he commenced to whoopin out asses game 1. So yeah, his words mean little to nothing to me.
Old 11-17-2010   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Rex Ryan is a 3-4 coach and sees KJ as a 3-4 corner which he could be with a really good safety over the top as a wingman. Jackson has a long way to go to be a 4-3 CB. Believe what you want.
What do you see in Kareem that lends to him being a better 3-4 CB than 4-3? Or I guess better worded: What weaknesses are preventing him from being a "4-3 CB"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Rex handed out many compliments last year too. Then he commenced to whoopin out asses game 1. So yeah, his words mean little to nothing to me.
Yeah but Rex doesn't give compliments to players who don't deserve it. Don't you think Rex answers questions honestly? He's not the type to "pay lip service" to anyone.
Old 11-17-2010   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you see in Kareem that lends to him being a better 3-4 CB than 4-3? Or I guess better worded: What weaknesses are preventing him from being a "4-3 CB"?

The ability to stay on his feet?
Old 11-17-2010   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah but Rex doesn't give compliments to players who don't deserve it. Don't you think Rex answers questions honestly? He's not the type to "pay lip service" to anyone.
Maybe questions about his own team
Old 11-17-2010   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe questions about his own team
I haven't seen anything in Rex's history with the media that would suggest he goes around throwing empty compliments at any random opponent's player even if they don't deserve it. I can't even remember one example of that.
Old 11-17-2010   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Rex Ryan doesn't coach the Texans. Unless he's coaching the Texans or a possible future coach for us, why should we care? At this point he's the enemy, and I wouldn't trust anything he has to say anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Rex Ryan - "Kareem Jackson's going to be an outstanding player"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Sounds good.

Can we get him some better coaching, please?
That's what I was thinking!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you see in Kareem that lends to him being a better 3-4 CB than 4-3? Or I guess better worded: What weaknesses are preventing him from being a "4-3 CB"?KJ to be a good 4-3 CB needs fluid hips and hip swivle. If he is back pedaling with WR to either side and WR suddenly goes to the other side, hip swivle allows CB to move accordingly without losing much if any ground. His tendancy as a "bump" the receiver type CB (especially since he misses the bump so often) would not be a negative because corners are often allowed to blitz and I think he would be good at that. I think Jackson would be a pretty good SS.

See bolded.
Old 11-17-2010   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can somebody explain to me how a cornerback could be more suited to play in a 3-4 base defense over a 4-3 base, or vice versa? I can see how one may be better at man coverage or zone coverage or whatever... but I never really understood how the front 7 had that much of an effect.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #16
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Can somebody explain to me how a cornerback could be more suited to play in a 3-4 base defense over a 4-3 base, or vice versa? I can see how one may be better at man coverage or zone coverage or whatever... but I never really understood how the front 7 had that much of an effect.

It's mostly about scheme and how the system is run. The front 7 responsibilties change for gaps, etc. So you need guys that may be used to that, and typically beefier mountains ont the line. The DB's are on different schemes though.

Either way you slice it, no matter who is complementing it, it doesn't matter. This defense is the football equivalent to the 2 girls, 1 cup video.

It's nasty and just makes you want to vomit.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
KJ to be a good 4-3 CB needs fluid hips and hip swivle. If he is back pedaling with WR to either side and WR suddenly goes to the other side, hip swivle allows CB to move accordingly without losing much if any ground. His tendancy as a "bump" the receiver type CB (especially since he misses the bump so often) would not be a negative because corners are often allowed to blitz and I think he would be good at that. I think Jackson would be a pretty good SS.
I don't see any difference between a 3-4 or a 4-3 corner.

I don't know that his problem in bump coverage is that he misses.... I think he just doesn't know how strong a "physical" receiver in the NFL really is.

He's going to have to learn a lot..... I don't think he's doing any worse than say Rodgers-Cromartie did his rookie year. If he's tough enough, he'll be a good corner.
Old 11-17-2010   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
It's mostly about scheme and how the system is run. The front 7 responsibilties change for gaps, etc. So you need guys that may be used to that, and typically beefier mountains ont the line. The DB's are on different schemes though.

Either way you slice it, no matter who is complementing it, it doesn't matter. This defense is the football equivalent to the 2 girls, 1 cup video.

It's nasty and just makes you want to vomit.
Sorry not to offend, but I don't think that's a really responsive answer to the origional question.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81178 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Sorry not to offend, but I don't think that's a really responsive answer to the origional question.
3-4s tend to be man-coverage (with the biggest exception being the Pats).

The SS is usually much more active on the blitz, leaving CBs on islands a lot of the time

The Jets use a lot of man and press.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #20
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Larry Izzo was on the Jets when we played them last year. He said
the coaches got a hold of the Texans' offseason training program, and
preached to his guys how much MORE the Jets worked than the Texans
did during the offseason.

....yeah, get us better coaching please.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read