Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2010   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Michael Lombardi on the Texans

Quote:
Jacksonville put up 495 yards on Houston. When the Texans decide to get tougher all through their organization, then I will pay attention. ...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_spotlight
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Michael Lombardi on the Texans

Kubiak says they're doing a "dang-good" job.
Old 11-16-2010   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Well said by Lombardi.
Old 11-16-2010   #4
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Kubiak says the kids are doing a "dang-good" job.
fify
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #5
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I will pay more attention when they get tougher too.
Old 11-16-2010   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to think that Kubiak now spews any positives on his players not on merit but solely to maintain player support.........and any little chance of hanging onto his job.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Setting aside the issue of "toughness" for a moment, one thing that made me nervous about Kubiak from the very start was his reluctance to remain with the Texans base-defense of the 3-4 when he first arrived here.
Why would he even care if we went with a 3-4 instead of 4-3, he's not an offensive guy, and initially he didn't know who his DC was gonna be ? But instead he announced from the beginning that we'd go 4-3 and I think it was just because he's a guy that's very set in his ways, or put another way lacks flexibility or adaptability.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's fate is sealed once the Texans are 4-6 after playing the Jets. Another four game losing streak in the middle of the season will do him in.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Setting aside the issue of "toughness" for a moment, one thing that made me nervous about Kubiak from the very start was his reluctance to remain with the Texans base-defense of the 3-4 when he first arrived here.
Why would he even care if we went with a 3-4 instead of 4-3, he's not an offensive guy, and initially he didn't know who his DC was gonna be ? But instead he announced from the beginning that we'd go 4-3 and I think it was just because he's a guy that's very set in his ways, or put another way lacks flexibility or adaptability.
You would have been one of the lew people say we needed to stay the 3-4. For all the wringing of the hands about the QB then, the defense was worse and like now fans think changing the scheme is the be all to end all to changing the fortunes of the defense.
Old 11-16-2010   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm beginning to think that Kubiak now spews any positives on his players not on merit but solely to maintain player support.........and any little chance of hanging onto his job.
At times he sounds very to me.
Old 11-16-2010   #11
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You would have been one of the lew people say we needed to stay the 3-4. For all the wringing of the hands about the QB then, the defense was worse and like now fans think changing the scheme is the be all to end all to changing the fortunes of the defense.

I'm one of the few that wants to stick with the 4-3 (unless the right guy comes in to change it). We're too late on switching to the 3-4 and there's a lot of talent to be had for the 4-3 defense in future drafts since few teams are running it anymore. Proper execution of a well-planned scheme is what we need (see the Eagles' 4-3 defense last night), regardless of what defense we're running.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi's been saying that for two years now. He actually changed his tone at the beginning of the season when we were winning, but quickly jumped off when we lost.

I think Lombardi's a moron, but he's 100% correct. This team has no spine and it begins with the coaches. I want Kubiak out as much as the rest of y'all, but I don't think it's hoing to happen this year. However, this organization would take a huge hit if there was nothing done about the defense. I totally expect a new DC in the off-season and I expect him to be experienced with having coached defenses that had sack.
Old 11-16-2010   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Any media person who says "I'm done paying attention to Houston" needs to remember that shit during the offseason. I know I get more than annoyed when I hear (And this will be like season 3 or 4 in a row that I've heard) "Texans, darkhorse, lol". It never materializes and I would just rather them be a team that surprises people with it's good play, and not disappoints with it's terrible play.

What I'm wondering is, if we ever had a defense as good as our offense has been in previous seasons, if people would ride our jock as hard before the season begins.
Old 11-16-2010   #14
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 11584 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

So many talking heads have been saying that the Texans are missing something. This comment is spot on, I think. We simply don't have that air of toughness- mental or physical. Unfortunately, I don't see that magically appearing this season, and frankly I'm not looking forward to the games against the Jets, Ravens, Eagles, and Titans. It isn't looking pretty for the rest of the season.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I'm one of the few that wants to stick with the 4-3 (unless the right guy comes in to change it). We're too late on switching to the 3-4 and there's a lot of talent to be had for the 4-3 defense in future drafts since few teams are running it anymore. Proper execution of a well-planned scheme is what we need (see the Eagles' 4-3 defense last night), regardless of what defense we're running.
I disagree with you 100 %. Other folks on other threads have broken down the current Texans defense to show most of our players would convert well to the 3-4. The focus would move off the Dline to linebacker where we have better players in my opinion. The defensive backs, especially our corners would do much better. We do not have the perfect Nose, but this season is going down the drain so let's start the switch now and begin giving our players some hope.

In the draft picking apprx 8-10:

1. CB shut down http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...pamukamara.php OR Brandon Harris*, CB, Miami
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.
10/9/10: Harris is a baller - period. On tape, he produces and plays with the swagger and confidence you want to see out of a cornerback. He's a missle in run support and shows the ability to take on a block. In coverage, receivers really struggle to separate and offensive coordinators have stopped calling plays his way this season.

5/13/10: Brandon Harris broke up a whopping 15 passes last year and also had six TFL.

2. NT Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
10/8/10: Powe's stock is on the decline this season. He's trying to prove he is a gap-shooting 3-technique. Instead, his coaching staff should let him be an immoveable object at the line of scrimmage. Powe needs to play with more power and be an anchor on the line.

5/8/10: The top nose tackle in the 2011 NFL Draft, Jerrell Powe collected 12 TFL and two sacks in 2009, earning All-SEC Second Team honors.

3. Free safety: your choice
Old 11-16-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I disagree with you 100 %. Other folks on other threads have broken down the current Texans defense to show most of our players would convert well to the 3-4. The focus would move off the Dline to linebacker where we have better players in my opinion. The defensive backs, especially our corners would do much better. We do not have the perfect Nose, but this season is going down the drain so let's start the switch now and begin giving our players some hope.

In the draft picking apprx 8-10:

1. CB shut down http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...pamukamara.php OR Brandon Harris*, CB, Miami
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.
10/9/10: Harris is a baller - period. On tape, he produces and plays with the swagger and confidence you want to see out of a cornerback. He's a missle in run support and shows the ability to take on a block. In coverage, receivers really struggle to separate and offensive coordinators have stopped calling plays his way this season.

5/13/10: Brandon Harris broke up a whopping 15 passes last year and also had six TFL.

2. NT Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
10/8/10: Powe's stock is on the decline this season. He's trying to prove he is a gap-shooting 3-technique. Instead, his coaching staff should let him be an immoveable object at the line of scrimmage. Powe needs to play with more power and be an anchor on the line.

5/8/10: The top nose tackle in the 2011 NFL Draft, Jerrell Powe collected 12 TFL and two sacks in 2009, earning All-SEC Second Team honors.

3. Free safety: your choice
Do this draft and add Franklin from SF or Pat Williams from Minny and this team would be tougher immediately and the secondary could use a vet CB like Champ Bailey to help out the young CB's.

This defense would automatically look better.

It would also stop teams from calling QB sneaks on 4th and 1. From there own 38 yd line with 8 mins left in the game. It was sad to see Garrard gain 4 yds on the sneak.

This is just another sign that the quick penetrating type DT that Kubes loves doesn't work in the NFL. Where's the beef on the interior DL?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have NEVER done anything worthy of gaining respect from the national media.

Talking heads pick them at the beginning of seasons because of stats, but not because the franchise has actually accomplished anything noteworthy on the gridiron. ONE friggin' winning season in 8 years is nothing to hang a hat on, and to be quiet honest, it is sad and pathetic.

It is time to see things for what they really are, not what we want or wish them to be. Our team is "that" team in the NFL now, the one that the Saints and Bucs used to be years ago. Year after year of mediocrity and what ifs, but not much else.
Old 11-16-2010   #18
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Texans have NEVER done anything worthy of gaining respect from the national media.

Talking heads pick them at the beginning of seasons because of stats, but not because the franchise has actually accomplished anything noteworthy on the gridiron. ONE friggin' winning season in 8 years is nothing to hang a hat on, and to be quiet honest, it is sad and pathetic.

It is time to see things for what they really are, not what we want or wish them to be. Our team is "that" team in the NFL now, the one that the Saints and Bucs used to be years ago. Year after year of mediocrity and what ifs, but not much else.
Thing is, there is WAAAAAAAY too much parity in the NFL for any team to be THAT team year after year. No excuses.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Thing is, there is WAAAAAAAY too much parity in the NFL for any team to be THAT team year after year. No excuses.
I agree completely. When you see a team like the Saints get the no. 2 overall pick after the Texans in 2006, and then not only make the playoffs but win a championship, it is obvious that all kinds of wrongs are going down in Houston. We should be a much better team than the one that we are trying to root for right now.
Old 11-16-2010   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely. When you see a team like the Saints get the no. 2 overall pick after the Texans in 2006, and then not only make the playoffs but win a championship, it is obvious that all kinds of wrongs are going down in Houston. We should be a much better team than the one that we are trying to root for right now.
Not to mention that the Saints hired their coach at the same time as we did, have a crappy stadium, have a sneaky, backstabbing owner that was making deals to move the team in secret, a broke-ass city with no jobs and no economy and have had their city destroyed by a massive hurricane.

And yet, amid all of that mess, they STILL managed to consistently make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read