Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2005   #101
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i personally would of liked to of gotten something for him, a draft pick wouldnt of hurt, just letting him go with nothing t show for it just seems dumb to me !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #102
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

aj's voice of the fan piece on Sharper.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #103
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Why is it that if a female is a fan of a football player, that is must be some sort of crush? It can't be from admiration of his achievements? His steadfast dedication to the team? Is this 2005 AD or BC?
While Jamie may be described by aj like he was, not ALL female fans think that way. He will be missed for what he has done for the team, not how he looks in an Armani suit.
But his dreds were awesome, as well as the way he played on the field and how he treated ALL fans.
Gonna miss you #55.

psst...aj...I am a fan of Brett Favre too.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #104
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That was well reasoned. No way the Texans give up two firsts. Casserly isn't a fan of raiding next year's draft for this year's booty. The cost to get above 4 is too much. As a number of posters have pointed out, if the Texans trade up it will likely be 6, 8, 9 or 10. That way, if they trade up, they can at least get 2 guys on day one, hopefully 3. I don't see the Vikes moving below 7. That is the Moss pick. They have to make that one count.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #105
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

Another day at the office.

I think this was a good move by the front office, and I'm surprised it didn't come sooner. You see what this defense was with Sharper.......I don't see how it can get much worse without him. The Texans found out that something had to change......they decided to get more speed in the inside. I see this as maybe a change in their scheme. We could see more blitzing next season from Babin and Peek and let Greenwood and whoever else plays ILB whether it be Wong or whoever they stick in there, and kinda leave them out on the island to stop the run and be in pass coverage.

The fact is we sure could use that cap space we now have. We have it, lets see what we do with it.
Old 04-03-2005   #106
Mischief
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mischief Send a message via Yahoo to Mischief
Default man!

My husband is really disappointed.
Old 04-03-2005   #107
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I realize J-Sharp was a fan favorite, and he has put in lots of work here (so has every other player), but I think I'll pose this question to the people who oppose this move: Based on the past three years' production, why do you think that we should have kept Sharper, who was going to be the third highest paid LB in the NFL next season?
Old 04-03-2005   #108
texman8
Veteran

Let's get this straight; Sharper is a good LB...he is not in Ray Lewis' class if you go by salaries. Texans want to get younger,get more agressive LBs with better coverage ability. That is why Sharper and Foreman are gone.........Wong will probably be gone by next year (probably sign another FA LB next season) As far as posters crying about not getting any draft pick for Sharper; NFL teams are smart;they are not going to give away a draft pick for a player who has such a high salary figure( 6 million plus) Look at Surtain(Miami)...Henry(Buff)...Pryce(Denver)
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #109
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Speaking of his female following ... Jamie Sharper has much more than God-given talent, he has the magnetism and mystique that few people have. Much more than a muscle-bound HUNK and ladies man, he has the charisma that draws people to him... As they say, he can work a crowd.
His fan following in Baltimore is still very strong. His following in Houston will stay strong.
I can understand why eight teams have been in touch with his agent so far.
Some here see him on the downside of his career. His detractors can say what they want, but Jamie will land on his feet just fine.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #110
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
His following in Houston will stay strong.
Sounds like you're a member of the local following, I know I am. I was really
pulling for him to make the Pro Bowl while he was here because he deserved
to in 2003 and it was a big personal goal of his.
But I don't have a problem with what Cass & Capers did - you can't keep certain players on the roster based even partially on sentiment. He was being paid a ton of money and the management made a business decision that the benefit of his services were not comensurate to the cost of the services.
Wherever he goes, I'll be watching his performance with interest and support - as long as its not a Sunday when his new team is playing the Texans.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #111
ginessey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
We were weak against running teams. Now we are even more weaker. Imagining wong in there gives me the shivers.
I think that Sharper being released is just freeing up cap room for a major move. Which is why I think the Texans are going to go for Derrick Johnson in the draft. No one in the top 5 is going to take an OLB, and 5-10 only Arizona would be the most likely to draft him. But there major need is at running back which means they would probably take Cadillac or Cedric. Dallas wouldn't take him and that leaves San Diego whose more likely looking for a wide reciever with their first pick. Which gives the Texans DJ at 13. If not I'd look for them to trade up with Tennessee, Washington, or Detroit and pick him up. Which would give you at LB next year OLB Wong/Babin ILB Johnson/Greenwood.
ginessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #112
BTAforlife
waterboy

I agre with that assessment. There are a number of senario's that have opened for us because of this Sharper thing. I believe he will reunite himself with Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. As for the draft DJ, Dan Cody, DeMarcus Ware, and Darryl Blackstock would be perfect in a 3-4 defense. I didn't put Pollack there, to me he's better with a hand on the ground, than standing upright, but he is a bad ***. This is going to be probably the best draft in years, just because no one knows exactly what's going to happen at the top, unlike the last couple of years. I can't wait.

Last edited by BTAforlife; 04-03-2005 at 05:24 PM.
BTAforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #113
SESupergenius

Sharper was in his last year of the contract, so of course this years salary is going to be high. How does Sharpers salary average salary compare to other linebackers, even to Greenwood. You are not going to convince we that we've just upgraded our linebacking corps by getting rid of Sharper and replacing that position with Greenwood. This is the 3rd year in a row that our defense is taking a drastic overhual, I strongly doubt it will be drastically better next year so people need to keep that in mind. I think that Sharper started to see that the system wasn't working and was looking for a leader amongst the coaches, not the players. I feel that Capers and Co might need to water down some the fires that are starting to spark in the locker room.
Old 04-04-2005   #114
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think releasing Sharper is a move to make next year's defense better, but it should make our defense for the year after better (2006 season)...Capers and Co. saw the lack of production from our cast of characters and decided to act on rectifying it now in order to get the pieces in place to make 2006's defense more dynamic...
Old 04-04-2005   #115
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellthebest
if denver could pick em up...that wuld be great..but not gunna happen
He will sign with Cleveland then get traded to Denver. Isn't that the only way Denver can acquire players now?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #116
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
This is the 3rd year in a row that our defense is taking a drastic overhual, I strongly doubt it will be drastically better next year so people need to keep that in mind.
I guess it depends on what your definition of drastic is. In year one we had a foundation of Payne, Walker, Deloach, Foreman, Sharper, Wong, Coleman, and Glenn. We added youth/talent each year to improve on that foundation--R. Smith, Peek, Babin, Robinson, Earl, Greenwood, etc.

Building an expansion fanchise's defense and offense takes time. I look at these as incremental improvements--not "drastic" overhauls, but maybe I'm arguing semantics.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #117
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Year 1 to Year 2:
Our ROLB left to go to Buffalo (Jeff Posey) via FA, and he got replaced by a poor excuse in Charlie Clemens. Everyone's favorite punching bag, FS Matt Stevens, got replaced by Marlon McCree halfway through the year. I don't consider year 1 to year 2 significant changes.

I do think we went through some major changes Year 2 to Year 3:
DE R. Smith - signed FA
LOLB Babin - drafted 1st round
ROLB Wong - moved from LOLB
CB Robinson - drafted 1st round
SS Earl - drafted 4th round
FS Coleman - moved from CB

That were 6 starters in new positions. That is a shuffle of 55% of the lineup. Throw in the fact that 3 of the remaining 5 starters (Glenn, Walker, and Payne) were coming off injuries, and that didn't bode well for us going into 2004.

Year 3 to Year 4 (projecting so far):
DL and DB's - same eight starters
LB - major changes
LOLB Babin - only sure returning starter (to same position) is this second year player
LILB Wong/Drafted player - If we drafted Thomas Davis or DJ, then Wong would probably play ROLB again.
RILB (is he going to be right or left?) - Greenwood
ROLB Peek/Wong/Drafted player - will likely be Peek

Basically there are major changes to our LB's but nowhere else on defense.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #118
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

good post...i wouldn't mind just having peek wong greenwood and babin as starters but then we would definetly have to add players to provide depth...besides polk, and anderson the other guys we have to provide depth are unproven or journeyman who never seem to do anything besides special teams
Old 04-04-2005   #119
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my take on all of this because I have to say it kind of erked me all weekend. First of all, whenever a player is there saying that we have to be guided to a victory whether it be from a player or coach, and that player isn't looking at himself to wonder how he can guide that team or at least putting the weight on his shoulders then that is a player we don't need on our. Look at the other guys like RLewis, they will put the blame on themselves before they put it on others.

Second, our defense got tore up by Indy's receivers and TEs, and really throughout the season. We needed MLBs that can cover and not just cover adequetly but exceptionally. Greenwood provides that, and moving Wong to the middle provides that too because Wong has done a pretty good job throughtout the years with us in coverage. Getting DJ only helps that too.

I too at first didn't like the change. Does anyone like change though? For Dom Capers and CC to just up and let a player go there has to be some logical thinking in this that our defense would be improved. Sharper, although blue collar worker, was never a leader of this defense, he was never the leader of the Ravens defense. In Baltimore, he was next to a future hall of famer. I am sure he will go on and have a stellar career elsewhere because he is good, but I think this move was necessary because we can take the heat for it now and prove it to be a good transition or later we could suffer due to cap reasons. The Texans say they wanna get faster well maybe this puts Peek in the mix and all the Peek advocates will be happy now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #120
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

a faster MLB would have gotten us 3 sacks. Of the top of my head, that is how many times i saw JSharper come from behind the line to touch the QB nanoseconds after the ball was released.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read