Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2005   #81
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea, while drafting an OL isn't the "sexy" pick, it can be the smart one if you get a good value at your turn. I think I forget how horrible and debilitating our O-Line is a little bit every off-season, hopefully we can address it somewhat this year.
I agree, I am tired of some people and almost every mock saying we will/should draft a WR, S, LB, CB, when our O line is needs big time help...

Bengals | Interested in Sharper - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:41:46 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have expressed interest in LB Jamie Sharper, who was recently released by the Houston Texans. Tony Agnone, Sharper's agent, told Bengals.com in March that he is looking forward to a reunion with head coach Marvin Lewis. The team is apparently seeking middle linebacker help, given the uncertain recovery status of Nate Webster (knee) from a torn patella tendon injury.

Last edited by texan279; 04-02-2005 at 12:34 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #82
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

There are some very good reasons why people are saying dont draft Oline in the first.

#1: An Olineman RARELY RARELY RARELY ever makes an immediate impact, and we are still a team that needs immediate impact players.

#2: The ONLY positions on the oline that EVER really warrants a first round pick..is left tackle.. and the only player worthy of a top 15 pick at LT is Alex Barron.. and he is BARELY worth it. He is still questionable IMO.

#3: We have a young LT that we have been grooming and who we are NOT ready to give up on. Wand had a rough first season but you dont throw a young talented prospect on the bench cause he made the mistakes that young players make. He needs to be out there.. and more important.. we need to try to keep an oline together for as long as possible. We have switched players around EVERY year so far.. and Olines need time to mesh to become effective.

#4: Our REAL needs on the Oline are interior linemen.. and this is a VERY deep draft for them. We can get 1st/2nd round quality interior linemen in the 3rd and 4th in this draft.. and we probably will.

#5: We are working on new plays to reduce the strain on our Oline. More timing patterns to get the ball out of Carr's hands faster. This is a temporary solution until our Oline is where it needs to be.. but it lessens the necessity for using high picks on Olinemen.

#6: MOST Olinemen (except for left tackles) are drafted in the 3rd-7th round.. or an undrafted rookie. what im getting at... again.. just to ram it into peoples heads.. is that YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE HIGH PICKS ON OLINEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!!1!!!!1!!!!one! !1!!

All that being said.. at #13 we are in a position to either:

A) Get a top 5 draft pick quality Running Back.. this is a DEEP draft for RBs with Cadillac, Benson, and Brown all projected to go in the top 10. If one of them slides we could have him at 13. Brown or Benson would both be very good for us.

B) There are some very high quality tweener style LBs projected to go in the mid/early first round.. Merriman, Pollack, and Cody come to mind. We need LBs and we been saying since LAST YEAR that we need playmakers in the front seven. This could be our chance to grab a very good one. (I want Pollack!!!!)

C) There are also some very nice CBs in this draft.. Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers, Pac Man Jones.. these are mid/early first round quality CBs .. most or all of which will be available to us. We NEED young playmakers on defense.. and in our pass happy division.. CBs are a big need ALL the time.

D) Wide Receiver.. some people claim this is a huge need.. I dont think it is. We have a WR corp that is very strong already. However, I can see the BENEFIT of having another Andre Johnson on the field. It would certainly help to take some of the pressure Johnson.. and maybe off of Carr as well. SO, its possible that Casserly could be looking at WR as a way to help protect Carr, improve our running game, and our passing game.. all in one big shabang.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #83
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A) Get a top 5 draft pick quality Running Back.. this is a DEEP draft for RBs with Cadillac, Benson, and Brown all projected to go in the top 10. If one of them slides we could have him at 13. Brown or Benson would both be very good for us.
I have not really talked about this happening at all, but I sure have been thinking about it, the reason I haven't talked about it is because I don't want to jinx this. If one of the top 3 RB's fell to us and we snatched 'em up, I would party like its 1999! :woot Don't get me wrong, DD is awesome, but I just can't see us passing on one of the top 3 RB's if they fell to us...
Old 04-02-2005   #84
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Alright now you guys are teasing me.
Of course not wags. BTW The Texans will draft Pollack and Davis, and then we'll trade Toro to Georgia for Uga (sp?).
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #85
outofhnd
All Pro

Probably as a last resort.

I had a feeling no one would want him if we shopped him. With so many tweeners in the draft no one really wanted to pay that high salary Sharper was wanting. How eerie would that be if the Vikings Signed him? the Sharper Bros. defense.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #86
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Sharper criticized the coaching staff at one point during the season. I feel he let the cat out of the bag. This is the end result of that outburst. I too feel very negatively towards what we are doing with our players. I have stated that the 5 year plan was shot down by injuries and everything I have seen so far still leads me to believe that is true. I continue to believe we will be the door mat of our conference.

Are there any bright spots on the horizon? I think the draft might yield some and the reappearance of BJ might be another. I hope I'm wrong about how the Texans are doing, but time will tell.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #87
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Sharper criticized the coaching staff at one point during the season. I feel he let the cat out of the bag. This is the end result of that outburst. I too feel very negatively towards what we are doing with our players. I have stated that the 5 year plan was shot down by injuries and everything I have seen so far still leads me to believe that is true. I continue to believe we will be the door mat of our conference.

Are there any bright spots on the horizon? I think the draft might yield some and the reappearance of BJ might be another. I hope I'm wrong about how the Texans are doing, but time will tell.
The Titans are the doormat right now. We may be the coatrack, but we are not the doormat.

Of course, I would like to mention that I wish Sharper the best of luck. He won't be getting paid like Ray Lewis. I suspect CC has a wonderful plan in store. The draft should be fun.

Last edited by rittenhouserobz; 04-02-2005 at 06:29 AM.
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2005   #88
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
Peek it will be dangerious once Peek learns to become an every down Lb !
I caught Peek on 610 yesterday morning - the guy is really entertaining,
fun to listen to, and downright likeable. But I heard him say, and I'm paraphrasing here, that playing strong side OLB is virtually the same as playing weakside OLB. C'mon Antwan, you got no TE to block you/QB's backside on one side and you have neither advantage on the other side.
He says its the same to him either way - I'm hoping this is over confidence
of a youngster blurring reason and knowledge a little bit, because if not Antwan has missed a whole lot in the 3 years of his training to convert from college DE to NFL OLB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #89
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Here is a clue...

Player Salary
1. Ray Lewis, Baltimore $6.93 million
2. Brian Urlacher, Chicago $6.16
3. Jamie Sharper, Houston $6.13
4. LaVar Arrington, Washington $5.63
5. Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay $4.91

Sharper is not in their class.

http://profootballsalarycap.blogspot.com/

This is on target, Vinny...except with respect to Urlacher, who is overrated and not Sharper's equal. But what I don't get is why this took so long to do if it was so automatic.

Two things: this was a "cap casualty" BECAUSE the Greenwood signing made it cap-troublesome, regardless of whether or not that signing was the right move. And, although we may never know the answer, was this delay strategic in trying to keep Sharper off the market a while, or did they seriously believe he would cave in and restructure?
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #90
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody in the NFL would take Sharper over Urlacher. I think we have a bit of homer-vision on that one.

This is not a cap casualty because of Greenwood. I think it is ridiculous to assume the Texans billion dollar organization would be so myopic and foolhardy to not do the math before they signed Greenwood. When the season ended, they got all their scouts and decision makers together and graded film. What you are seeing is the adjustment to this in relation to the salary cap.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #91
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I couldn't see them giving up a pair of 1's for DJ either. Not this year. I could maybe see them doing something along the lines of their Babin deal last year, not of course exactly like it since the circumstances are different but similar. That's only if they decide they must have him and admittedly that would be out of character for the Texans. There are options like you point out Vinny.

I think the Texans are standing pat in a number of areas that lots of people think we absolutely must make a move in. This is like that too. I don't see one single emergency need on our team. Man that feels good to say after the last three years.
Agreed Vinny. I could see fair market value of a one and one of the extra threes. Don't believe giving up a pair of ones would be prudent.

Ah Hervoyel, last year we couldn't get to the passer and we could not rush the ball at the end of the season against teams we should of ran out of the park. " Standing pat" is not an option for this coaching staff. One of the two lines must be improved for this club to go where it wants to go. With any luck we improve team speed on defense, we fill a few holes via the draft, Jopurru or Hollings comes through this off season and we got a shot. Lot of if's there. But 7-9, 8-8 ain't going to cut to again this year. Had some major personel set backs to forgive . But it's fish or cut bait time. JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #92
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Atta Boy !!

Nice post grid.

From What I've seen, I wouldn't be too up set if we ended day one with whoever and Bass. I believe he's going to be that good. I hope DJ/ Bass. On the whole though you're right about the o-line. So far though that theory, for this staff hasn't born much fruit. They must be able to establish DD in November and December if we're going any where. Which was painfully obiviuos, we could not do last year. We've had to bring "in" our o-line for the most part. Got some good looking prosects riding the pine. They get a shot at Bass they got to grab the guy. We've waited on the young gaurds riding the pine long enough to beat somebody out. JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #93
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this was a "cap casualty" BECAUSE the Greenwood signing made it cap-troublesome, regardless of whether or not that signing was the right move.
This was a cap casualty regardless of the Greenwood deal. If it didn't happen now, Sharper would have been UFA departure at this time next year. Look for name players to be released from this point forward. Glenn, Walker, Wong, and Coleman will all meet the same fate in the next 1-3 years.

I've been saying on these boards for more than a year now that a decision would have to be made between Wong and Sharper because with their contracts both expiring after the '05 season there was little chance they could keep both players.

Last edited by aj.; 04-02-2005 at 11:43 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #94
cadahnic
All Pro

This really chaps my ***. I mean I dont think that Sharper was worth anything more than a high fourth low third. But if someone was willing to give us a fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh then shouldnt we have taken it. I know that we will now have no chance at DJ even though he will fall out of the top five. Well I guess Casserly has some type of plan for the team, but I am not convinced right now.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #95
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
This was a cap casualty regardless of the Greenwood deal. If it didn't happen now, Sharper would have been UFA departure at this time next year. Look for name players to be released from this point forward. Glenn, Walker, Wong, and Coleman will all meet the same fate in the next 1-3 years.
That is exactly what I said earlier, we are going to start phasing out the "expansion" players and charlie is going to build his "team" through the draft and FA. These players did a great job in getting us started, but now the youth is taking over and were getting better and younger at the same time.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #96
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of y'all are parsing the heck out of this for no reason. Let me get this straight: if Greenwood wasn't signed by Houston, and no other decent FA LBs were signed either, you believe that Sharper would STILL be gone right now? Even though there wasn't the slightest indication of movement in that direction this entire offseason? I just can't believe that. No Greenwood signing, no Sharper cut. And that was my point.

And Vinny, to your interpretation re: the Texans not doing "the math"--I didn't say they goofed and put themselves in a jam. I think they knew what they were going to do with Sharper when they signed Greenwood. It is still cause and effect. (See above paragraph.)

And as for Urlacher, it ain't homerism. I just don't live in 2002.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #97
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
And as for Urlacher, it ain't homerism. I just don't live in 2002.
Urlacher had a good 2003 season, too...He was injured last year, so you didn't hear much about him...The big difference between Urlacher and Sharper is that Urlacher is a difference maker...Jamie lets the game come to him, he just isn't disruptive enough...That's the main reason that he has never made a Pro Bowl, despite leading the league in tackles...He and Foreman would always just stand there and let the ball carrier run into them instead of stopping the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage or behind it...It's obvious we're searching for faster, more disruptive linebackers and Jamie just didn't fit into the plans here...I wish him all the best...
Old 04-02-2005   #98
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

of course he wouldnt have been... no more than we would have cut Kendrick Starling before signing Randy Moss.

Casserly didnt just wake up and read his scouting reports and say "hmm.. I think ill sign.......... Greenwood! give him 100 million, I want him here by noon"

:P.. Sharper was cut because we signed Greenwood.. but it wasnt some necessary solution to the cap trouble we had put ourselves in.. it was planned from the start.. before Greenwood ever signed anything.

As for the reason for the delay.. I think we were just waiting to see what we could get for him... I dont think we intended to resign him.

We are rebuilding our LBs.. sucks.. but it is SO necessary. Our pass rush has sucked for 3 years.. now.. not only is our pass rush sucking.. but our coverage is sucking too. Tight Ends ran all over us. We needed a big change.. youth and speed in the LBs is a good way to go. Sharper is 31 years old, costing us 6 million bucks, and to be quite honest, was NOT doing his job. He was not part of our future, so we let him go. Its that simple.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #99
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
I think Houston made a BIG mistake!! JMO!
well my opinion is, i think letting him go was best. we have guys waiting in the wings (peek) who need their chance to shine. jamie sharper was going to count $6 some million against the cap when we have guys who arent making much thatcan come in and make this team faster....something that we needed to do. i dont know alot about greenwood, but i hear he is a solid pass coverman and has speed, and wong will definitely give us speed in the middle and he has MLB experience with the vikes. i believe babin is going to have a breakout year because of antwan peek. i thiink that if peek can create havok on the o-line, which he will, then babins job as a pass rusher will be easier. the texans are in a very good situation cap wise, and if we can go after a pure shutdown corner, we can be more aggressive on defense. but yeah, letting sharper go is not that big of a deal in my mind. i think it helps this team bc now we are faster and more stable oin the cap.
Old 04-02-2005   #100
Bellthebest
Rookie

if denver could pick em up...that wuld be great..but not gunna happen

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read