Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2005   #41
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hate to see us trade up in this years draft, because it is very questionable at the top of the draft. I think we should stay where we are or possibly even try to trade down a couple of spots. I also believe as a team we are at crossroads- on the brink of becoming a great team, but still fragile enough to fall apart, so I believe as a franchise this is our most important draft to date. We could be lookin back on this draft as the one that put us over the top or the one that broke us.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #42
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
This really disappoints me, because with all the new teams going to the 3-4 I thought we could of least got a 3rd round pick. I was really looking forward to having 3 3rd round picks.
The handwriting was on the wall. They basically told Foreman and Sharper that they would be traded or cut. Sharper really wasn't tradeable because he has a large cap figure with a one-year contract. What incentive does he have to renegotiate a contract for a trade when he knows he can be cut and pick his team? He became a lame-duck player. I think they kept him longer than Foreman strictly as a PR move.

Those of you that had Sharper thrown in as a key trade on draft day were fooling yourselves.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #43
mamoo
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default It's always about the money

Sharper was a cap move only. Both management and his teammates liked him. He was a smart, classy player. He's just not as dominating as his tackle numbers appeared. The middle linebacker in the 3-4 is going to get a boatload of tackles. He didn't put fear into anyone he had to cover. Running backs weren't concerned about the severity of his hits. That said, he did his job and did it well... just not millions and millions of dollars well.
mamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #44
texansfan88
All Pro

Derrick Johnson is worth trading up for. Not many players I would say that about this year, but he is very possibly the best linebacker since Arrington came out of Penn State 4 years ago.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #45
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We wouldn't give up 2 number 1 picks to move up. This is such a weak draft class it just isn't going to happen. Trade values are all relative to the draft class. If you want to think outside the box, Thomas Davis is nearly the perfect candidate to be an inside linebacker in our scheme if we cannot find a way to land DJ.
I've been thinking the same thing.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #46
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The handwriting was on the wall. They basically told Foreman and Sharper that they would be traded or cut. Sharper really wasn't tradeable because he has a large cap figure with a one-year contract. What incentive does he have to renegotiate a contract for a trade when he knows he can be cut and pick his team? He became a lame-duck player. I think they kept him longer than Foreman strictly as a PR move.

Those of you that had Sharper thrown in as a key trade on draft day were fooling yourselves.
Exactly! Hate to see him depart, but as an expansion pick his only cost to us was his contract. Easy come, easy go. Good luck Jamie.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #47
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Derrick Johnson is worth trading up for. Not many players I would say that about this year, but he is very possibly the best linebacker since Arrington came out of Penn State 4 years ago.
Johnson has become this year's taylor. All I heard last year was how great S. Taylor was and how we should trade up to get him, but we stayed exactly where we were and drafted Dunta Robinson, now how many people on this board would trade D. Rob for Taylor. I have no doubt that Johnson is going to be a fine linebacker and if we falls to us great, but I would hate to see us trade up for him when there is going to be excellent linebackers and excellent defensive players at our spot. Also to get johnson we are probably going to have to trade up to tenn.'s spot and I'm not willing to hand them over multiple picks again.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2005   #48
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Default On topic of jamie sharper

we couldnt even have traded him for a 7th rounder or something?! better than letting him walk.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #49
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

MAD, frustrated, disappointed, pissed, ashamed, let down. And really ticked off.

Not much more to say. Thanks Jamie for your hard work, I APPRECIATED YOU!!!
to the front office. I am not happy with y'all at this point, whatsoever.

I will stop here, I am soooooooo ticked off.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #50
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else think they may be making a little more room for someone like Bubba Franks?
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #51
Dunta_23
All Pro

Glad I traded him for a 2nd rounder in one of my Mock Drafts from another site
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #52
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

They are clearing the decks for sure. Now, is it in preparations for this year or next? IMO, they are looking to get younger and faster, get the experience this year (POSSIBLE playoff spot) and then expect a deep playoff run in 06.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #53
THEFUTURE
All Pro

with the hole now left, there are a couple scenario's the most thought of one is peek greenwood, wong, and babin. but lets not forget that dashon polk played some pretty good football those last three games filling in for foreman, im not saying he is a savior, but he is a good player that did a lot of good for us last year when we held that streak over the last 3-4 games
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #54
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I think (or I atleast hope), that this means Casserly has a plan that he thinks is going to work to upgrade our team at ILB. Whether that's trading up for someone like DJ, or a later choice who he feels will excel in our system. Would've it been so bad to just let him play out the final year of his contract rather than releasing him? I'm missing something unless Casserly foresees finding a better fit for us in the draft, or maybe in Wong..? We're not pressed for cash since we didn't make any huge FA signings, and he'd be off the cap when his contract expired anyways...?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #55
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Texans Release Andre Johnson!!!

Casserly said that it was a cap issue. Instead of waiting till next year, he is willing to cut ties this year.

4/1/2005
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #56
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are saying you dont believe this, try checking espn or espn.com..
Old 04-01-2005   #57
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

well the only good thing about this is that we have more money,and maybe there will be more FA signings
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #58
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought at first that it was an April Fool's joke, but I cause it's not.

Can't say that I'm overly shocked, the cap figure he was carring was really to much for him. I am kinda sad they couldn't trade him, but I quess it just goes to show that no team thought he was worth the money.

Good luck and safe travels Mr. Sharper.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #59
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

honestly i think casserly will do one of two things...if the price is right he'll trade up for derrick johnson...making all us fans happy...if the price is too high he'll trade down for extra picks...and select either marcus spears, david pollack, carlos rogers, or one of the receivers...our starting line-up for linebackers will be peek wong greenwood babin

anyone see a problem with this senerio?
Old 04-01-2005   #60
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i like the idea of our starting LBs beign Wong, Greenwood, Babin, and Peek it will be dangerious once Peek learns to become an every down Lb !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read