Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2005   #21
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I guess it is true. Thanks for the memories Jamie.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #22
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously doubt he would want to come back. I am sure one of the teams switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 this season will snag him anyway.
Old 04-01-2005   #23
texansfan88
All Pro

He can be signed back but I'm not sure he has many plans to come help the Texans out any time soon
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #24
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to bet a 6-pack that Casserly knew Sharper had no trade value right from the getgo. The "announcement" that Sharper was being given permission to seek a trade, in hindsight, reflected that . . it was a smokescreen. If Sharper indeed had any trade value, that value would have decreased as soon as the announcement was made, so it wouldn't have made sense for Casserly to do that if he really was seeking a trade for Sharper. The fact that he did announce it, in my view, was a PR move to soften the blow for his eventual outright release.
Old 04-01-2005   #25
stephen1
Veteran

he will probably sign with the cowboys since they are switching to the 3-4 and they are willing to over pay
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Can the Texans resign him?
I think that is what led to this release. I honestly think they tried to sign him to a value they both agreed on, but sadly couldn't. Apparently, he wants much more money than the Texans feel he is worth at this age and I don't think they wanted him there as a lame duck in his final season knowing he wasn't going to be here in the future. If we could not work out a deal up front I would put our chances of signing him again at slim to none.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #27
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

this upsets me, Jamie was a classy player and the solid backbone for this defense, and a great presence for the team. I say we could have packaged him in a draft day deal to move up for DJ. Now we might be left without Sharper or DJ. This would leave our linebackers being Peek,Greenwood,Wong,Babin and a backup in Dashan Polk.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2005   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It will all be ok. Make no mistake about it, a starting LB corp of Peek, Greenwood, Wong, and Babin will make some noise. Depth needs to be added of course but I would not be upset going into 2005 with that group. We'll be quicker and younger.

Also if the Texans decide that they want to go get DJ they will. That's one thing I think we've all learned about Charlie Casserly on draft day. If there's somebody there who the Texans have got to get then Charlie ain't shy about doing whatever it takes to get them. We let Sharper and Foreman go, saved some cap money, and haven't spent big in free agency really. I would not be shocked to see the Texans trade up in the draft to get someone they wanted. DJ, one of the running backs, or who knows, maybe another WR.

This is going to be a fun draft to watch I suspect.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If this Sharper report is accurate, it makes it almost certain Wong goes to
ILB. It also increases the probability that they take an ILB on Day 1 of the Draft, though I really don't think they will go after DJ. Are they really interested in paying OP type compensation for DJ - that's this years and
next years #1 ? I don't think they value him that highly.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We wouldn't give up 2 number 1 picks to move up. This is such a weak draft class it just isn't going to happen. Trade values are all relative to the draft class. If you want to think outside the box, Thomas Davis is nearly the perfect candidate to be an inside linebacker in our scheme if we cannot find a way to land DJ.

Old 04-01-2005   #31
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad to see us not get anything for him...win some you lose some...

If we can't fix the LB issue this year through the draft, then there is always next year. There should be some real solid guys comming out next year that would work quite nicely inside for the 3-4. Abdul Hodge, A.J. Hawk and Ahmad Brooks(I hope) to name a few.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't see them giving up a pair of 1's for DJ either. Not this year. I could maybe see them doing something along the lines of their Babin deal last year, not of course exactly like it since the circumstances are different but similar. That's only if they decide they must have him and admittedly that would be out of character for the Texans. There are options like you point out Vinny.

I think the Texans are standing pat in a number of areas that lots of people think we absolutely must make a move in. This is like that too. I don't see one single emergency need on our team. Man that feels good to say after the last three years.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #33
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If this Sharper report is accurate, it makes it almost certain Wong goes to ILB. It also increases the probability that they take an ILB on Day 1 of the Draft, though I really don't think they will go after DJ. Are they really interested in paying OP type compensation for DJ - that's this years and next years #1 ? I don't think they value him that highly.
I agree. In order to move up in the draft high enough to get DJ, it would cost us the #1 and #2 picks of next year's draft, not to mention #1 and #2 this year.

If you think that's hilarious, just look at what the Giants had to give the Chargers for Eli Manning, to move up just three spots. And look how everyone got a conniption with what Charley gave up for Babin.

Do you really, really want Casserly to trade up for DJ? Be careful what you wish for.
Old 04-01-2005   #34
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad to see him go today. I hope that he has a good career and wish him the best. I really enjoyed watching him and he was definitely one of my favorite players.

Now, we have a hole that needs filling. I don't think we'll be able to get D.J., but there are guys available in this year's draft and players on our roster already who might play well for us.
Old 04-01-2005   #35
Sco-tai
Veteran

Wow.

We had better use the money to sign a strong F.A. or that was a very questionable move. I mean....they just released the guy most of us have complained for 2 years in a row "He should have made the Pro-bowl". A team of our youth can not afford to lose a leader like Jaime on D.
Sco-tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I agree. In order to move up in the draft high enough to get DJ, it would cost us the #1 and #2 picks of next year's draft, not to mention #1 and #2 this year.

If you think that's hilarious, just look at what the Giants had to give the Chargers for Eli Manning, to move up just three spots. And look how everyone got a conniption with what Charley gave up for Babin.

Do you really, really want Casserly to trade up for DJ? Be careful what you wish for.
Draft classes and their relative worth drive trade values, not trade charts or the cost in draft years with high value picks at the top of the draft class. If we move up it will not cost nearly what it cost teams to move last season.

Old 04-01-2005   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't believe that a player of sharper's caliber has zero trade value. We should have gotten something for him. I would of took anything besides just letting him walk. We had him under contract through next year and could of always just brought him back. The only thing that I can think of is the relationship between him and our org. must of really soured. Something must of happened in the locker room or during this offseason that they aren't telling us about. This really disappoints me, because with all the new teams going to the 3-4 I thought we could of least got a 3rd round pick. I was really looking forward to having 3 3rd round picks.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #38
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I'm willing to bet a 6-pack that Casserly knew Sharper had no trade value right from the getgo. The "announcement" that Sharper was being given permission to seek a trade, in hindsight, reflected that . . it was a smokescreen. If Sharper indeed had any trade value, that value would have decreased as soon as the announcement was made, so it wouldn't have made sense for Casserly to do that if he really was seeking a trade for Sharper. The fact that he did announce it, in my view, was a PR move to soften the blow for his eventual outright release.
maybe he didnt have any trade value, but that doesnt mean he has no value. IF (and a big if) the browns were to sign him that might change the way they approach the draft and could possibly pass on DJ. thats one heck of a gamble though.

i thought this would be coming soon, but its still going to take time to get used to not seeing sharper on the field. solid player...i wish him the best elsewhere
Old 04-01-2005   #39
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling he might end up with the Patriots if Bruschi doesn't return or the Browns...
Old 04-01-2005   #40
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
A team of our youth can not afford to lose a leader like Jaime on D.
Wasn't Sharper the guy who was crying, "Who's going to lead us to the promised land" after a loss last season?

Seems like a great leader to me...Jamie was a few things, but a leader never seemed to be one of them...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read