Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2010   #1
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Team Gruden

yeah, I went there, I made a thread.

discuss why Jon Gruden is the best choice for the Texans in 2011!

wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Team Gruden

I think anybody would be better than Kubiak right now but my first choice wouldn't be Gruden. Our offense is pretty solid. We need someone who knows what to do on the defensive side of the ball. Cowher or Brian Billick are my top choices.
Old 11-15-2010   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan View Post
I think anybody would be better than Kubiak right now but my first choice wouldn't be Gruden. Our offense is pretty solid. We need someone who knows what to do on the defensive side of the ball. Cowher or Brian Billick are my top choices.
Billick is an offensive guy that inherited an all-time defense with the Ravens.
Old 11-15-2010   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll vote for the Dayton Flyer.
Old 11-15-2010   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
True that. I didn't Inception Billick enough. So I guess I gotta go with Cowher or Dungy then.
Old 11-15-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The most seamless transition guy would be Dungy but I don't think he will do it. I don't like Gruden at all.
Old 11-15-2010   #7
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

UGH. Dungy? No thanks. I couldn't stand to watch him on our sidelines. No way no how. Only HC I hate more than Cowher, and I could get used to Cowher.

Besides, what has Dungy done besides be the beneficiary of the best QB of all time and a top 3 franchise?
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The most seamless transition guy would be Dungy but I don't think he will do it. I don't like Gruden at all.
Neither does Warren Sapp apparently, given his comments while they were discussing Chilly's situation in Minnesota.
Old 11-15-2010   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Yeah. And some of Billick's offenses in Baltimore were offensive.

Dilfer, Boller, Kordell Stewart? Eek. I'll pass.

And Chucky's last year or two in Tampa were kinda sketchy, too. Seems that I remember lots of QB changes, etc.

Now, if we could get Gruden and Monte Kiffin that would be fine but I know that aint' happening.

At this point, I don't care. Just make a change, Bob..... To quote BR5-49 "Sometimes I gotta do something, even if its wrong."

Make a change Bob.
Old 11-15-2010   #10
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
UGH. Dungy? No thanks. I couldn't stand to watch him on our sidelines. No way no how. Only HC I hate more than Cowher, and I could get used to Cowher.

Besides, what has Dungy done besides be the beneficiary of the best QB of all time and a top 3 franchise?
He built the Buccaneers team that Gruden won a super bowl with. After that, he was a big part of making the Colts who they are. I'm not a big Dungy fan but there's not arguing that the man knows how to build a team.
Old 11-15-2010   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want Gruden. I like his fire for the sport, but I don't think he's a great HC.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #12
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan View Post
He built the Buccaneers team that Gruden won a super bowl with. After that, he was a big part of making the Colts who they are. I'm not a big Dungy fan but there's not arguing that the man knows how to build a team.
Sounds like something we might be saying about Kubiak in a few years. Building a team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to Texans fans right now, considering our situation.
Old 11-15-2010   #13
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Quote:
Sounds like something we might be saying about Kubiak in a few years. Building a team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to Texans fans right now, considering our situation.
Kubiak and Smith have FAILED in making this franchise a winner. If Dungy can come in and put the right guys in the right places (from coordinators to players) then he's exactly what this team needs. He did get Manning which makes any team better but he also hired the guys that knew how to get the most out of Manning.
Old 11-15-2010   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, I went there, I made a thread.

discuss why Jon Gruden is the best choice for the Texans in 2011!

I don't think he's a bad choice at all. He's a "missing ingredient" kind of coach much like they were saying on ESPN earlier Sunday about a Gruden to the Cowboys scenario. He can take a team with talent and add his energy and motivational ability and get them going pretty fast. He's maybe not so much the long-term builder if you want that kind of guy.

It's a hire I would not pan immediately. I'd consider it worth a try. If you look at us and believe that the problem is the coach and his staff then you're saying we have talent and we're being held back by the quality of our coaching. If you're right in that assumption then Gruden should make a positive difference right away.
Old 11-15-2010   #15
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think he's a bad choice at all. He's a "missing ingredient" kind of coach much like they were saying on ESPN earlier Sunday about a Gruden to the Cowboys scenario. He can take a team with talent and add his energy and motivational ability and get them going pretty fast. He's maybe not so much the long-term builder if you want that kind of guy.

It's a hire I would not pan immediately. I'd consider it worth a try. If you look at us and believe that the problem is the coach and his staff then you're saying we have talent and we're being held back by the quality of our coaching. If you're right in that assumption then Gruden should make a positive difference right away.
I've never seen anything with Gruden that has impressed me. He inherited a franchise that was in good shape, and within a short time left it in shambles. For being an offensive genius, he never did anything of merit without Gannon and Rice/Brown as a head coach, much the same with Billick.

For what it's worth Dungy repeatedly keeps saying that he is not interested in returning to coaching, so I don't think he's even a possibility.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Tangibles:
176-95
1 SB Championship
5 Division Championships

Intangibles:
Good offensive mind
Tough, no-nonsense coach
Young
Old 11-15-2010   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks! Gruden and his stupid chucky faces needs to go to the cowgirls.
Old 11-15-2010   #18
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Tangibles:
176-95
1 SB Championship
5 Division Championships
Hard to argue with results like that.
Old 11-15-2010   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Gruden is not my first choice. I'd be happier to see him here than what we currently have, but I have my reservations about Gruden. He built a great team in Oakland while working for a control freak owner. On the other hand, he collected QBs like trading cards in TB, which tells me he can't coach QBs worth a damn. On the other hand, the last couple years with the Bucs, he had very little developed talent and still went 8-8, which I thought was a pretty good coaching job.

So I'm torn on Gruden. Cowher is my first choice. I know one thing, and that is whoever succeeds Kubiak needs to come from a background of winning as a head coach. And he needs to have some attitude, IMO. I'm not saying that's a must for all situations, but I think this team, at this point, needs a boot in the ass more than most teams.
Old 11-15-2010   #20
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Rob Ryan.

Why you guys are clamoring for someone thats out of football I'll never know.
c10x is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read