Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2010   #1
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster's "Incompletion" Should Have Been a TD

Quote:
On the play, the former NFL Vice President of Officiating, Mike Pereira, wrote on FoxSports.com:

“In my opinion, the ruling of touchdown should not have been reversed and this call seemed to change the complexion of the game…Foster was on his way to the ground and reached out with the ball in his right hand to make sure that he had broken the plane. This is the ’second act’ that the league has referred to in the past."
http://www.texansgab.com/2010/11/09/...ontent=Twitter

And here is a link to the story at FoxSports: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/A...-Week-9-110710

So, there you go. I think almost everyone thought it should have been a TD. Bad call by the refs here. I really don't want that Mike guy reffing another game for us again...especially at Reliant. Anyone remember how loud and authoritative he was when he yelled "it stands" after the "interception" at the end of the game (I believe that was the play). I was wondering to myself why he was yelling, especially when the call is against the home team.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster's "Incompletion" Should Have Been a TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post

So, there you go. I think almost everyone thought it should have been a TD. Bad call by the refs here. I really don't want that Mike guy reffing another game for us again...especially at Reliant.
There were a lot of bad calls in this game. The Foster play and the intentional grounding call was all wrong.

I have a friend who is a heavy gambler and he preaches to me how all games are rigged and I am starting to believe it.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

When you compare the Foster non-TD to the one by Detroit a few weeks back ..... the rule was followed to the letter.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry don't get us 7 points on the board.

**sigh**
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
There were a lot of bad calls in this game. The Foster play and the intentional grounding call was all wrong.
Why do you think the intentional grounding call was wrong?
Old 11-10-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
When you compare the Foster non-TD to the one by Detroit a few weeks back ..... the rule was followed to the letter.
In Detroit, CJ was in the air when the ball hit his hands. He had control of the ball, but never had his feet down, or any part of his body down that would constitute possession.

When his butt hit the ground, so did the ball. He was in the act of making a catch when he went to the ground. The rule is he has to maintain possession through the fall to be ruled a catch.

I don't have a problem with that one being ruled an incomplete pass.

Foster caught the ball outside the end zone. He has possession, before he turns and extends into the end zone. Foster's play is more like Colt McCoys scrambling touchdown or Peyton Hillis' dive into the endzone where he loses the ball as it hits the pylon.

Either way we lost the game, my opinion of how they played still wouldn't have changed, I know we've got an offense that can score 30 on any given day so we've always got a chance to win. I was pleased that we had success early & was in the game for 60 minutes. Still peaved that KJ got burned twice, on simple go routes..... that is not supposed to happen, his physical play at the line was one of his strongest selling points. The defense didn't get that last stop that they needed...... doesn't matter how many points they actually gave up (23 by the defense, not 30). They needed a stop, didn't get it. Allowed a touchdown, not a field goal.

The outcome of the game would have been different. The fans (myself included) would have felt differently about the win. But fans of football which includes most of the people on this board would understand we still have work to do.
Old 11-10-2010   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm thinking it's either a incompletion, or a PI call against the guy covering Dreessen.
Old 11-10-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad call or the right call, what difference does it make? If the Texans were good enough to win the game they would have, bad call or not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well maybe because none of the requirements of the rule were met. First to get called for intentional grounding you have to be under pressure. That's why spiking the ball doesn't count as intentional grounding. Schaub was not under pressure. Second there was a receiver in the area. You can watch any weekend and see QB's divot the ball 10 yards short of eligible receiver who is too well covered and not have a flag called when they are clearly under pressure and just trying to get rid of the ball.
Old 11-10-2010   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That Foster "incompletion" was such B.S. I really think we would have won had they called it right. Wasn't it called a TD and they overturned it? I forget b/c I was so busy yelling.

As far as Schaub intentionally grounding the ball? I would say yes he intentionally threw it away... but that's not a penalty. Like many said, he wasn't pressured, he threw it past the line of scrimmage and the TE was in the vicinity. It was an obvious throw away but that doesn't mean it was a penalty. Bad call by the refs.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm thinking it's either a incompletion, or a PI call against the guy covering Dreessen.
See, I think it shouldn't be called intentional grounding, because Schaub wasn't under duress.

QBs throw the ball away in that same situation & it is never called.

It is intentional grounding if he's about to get hit, is wrapped up, or on his way down.
Old 11-10-2010   #12
TexansWest
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respected

My high school head coach always told us, "you have to be better than the other team, it's fans, and the referees". "Referees are human and make mistakes and you must be good enough to overcome them". Face it, the Texans just aren't good enough, period!!!!!
TexansWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

I have a friend who is a heavy gambler and he preaches to me how all games are rigged and I am starting to believe it.
OK, what kinds of things does he say???

I've been suspecting this about all 3 of our popular pro sports in this country for a long time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to start fining refs for making huge mistakes. They fine players for wrong socks.
Old 11-10-2010   #15
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansWest View Post
My high school head coach always told us, "you have to be better than the other team, it's fans, and the referees". "Referees are human and make mistakes and you must be good enough to overcome them". Face it, the Texans just aren't good enough, period!!!!!
Thats a bunch of BS. Teams in the league are so damn close to each other, that any little thing can swing a game in the other direction. A ref constantly screwing one team can and WILL change the outcome of a game.
Old 11-10-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
They need to start fining refs for making huge mistakes. They fine players for wrong socks.
How do you know they don't ?
Old 11-10-2010   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The refs are becoming much too visible in the NFL for my tastes. It waters down the product and brings too much human fallibility into play as it regards the outcome of games. I'm steadily growing weary of this trend and find myself on the verge of total apathy as a result.
Old 11-10-2010   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post

And here is a link to the story at FoxSports: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/A...-Week-9-110710

So, there you go. I think almost everyone thought it should have been a TD. Bad call by the refs here. I really don't want that Mike guy reffing another game for us again...especially at Reliant. Anyone remember how loud and authoritative he was when he yelled "it stands" after the "interception" at the end of the game (I believe that was the play). I was wondering to myself why he was yelling, especially when the call is against the home team.
Mike Pereira did a total flip-flop (yeah, there's a surprise ) from his explanation on Calvin Johnson's incomplete.TD pass.
Old 11-10-2010   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It should have been called a touchdown because Foster makes the catch and then tries to extend the ball across the line, but he didn't realize he was already in the end zone. That extension should have been ruled a 'football move' and then a 'fumble', but you can't fumble in the end zone because it was already a TD.
Old 11-10-2010   #20
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what was different about Foster's non-TD to Calvin's non-TD, he caught the ball BEFORE he broke the plane. So when he caught it then stretched out to break the plane I thought it didnt matter what you did after that, once the plane is broken I assumed thats a touchdown
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read