Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quick and Dirty Mock`

awtysst

Draft Guru
A very quick and dirty mock.

1. Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma, solid natural RDE who has a good motor. A friend for Mario. Would start immediatley and should be able to give Mario some help.

2. Sione Fua, DT, Stanford, a very solid sturdy DT who can tie up blockers and push forward while still not being a running game liability. Has the ability to play Nose should we decide to switch to a 3-4 next year.

3. Chris Marve, ILB, Vanderbilt, a good solid tackler, can cover, and can make plays. May be needed if Meco is not ready. Could also be used as an ILB if we switch to a 3-4 next year.

4. Jeron Johnson, SS, Boise State, the anti Pollard. He is not a hard hitter, but a sure tackler, solid in the run game and is not a liability in the pass game. The way the game rules are moving, having a SS who can tackle, be solid in the run game, and not a liability in the pass game is going to be more valuable than a hard hitter.

5. Will Rackley, G, Lehigh, a small school sleeper special. Keep[ an eye out for him.

6. Niles Paul, WR/KR/PR, Nebraska, a threat on KR/PR and is big enough to play WR. He would be able to challenge Holiday for Special team duty. Plus he would allow JJ to spend some time with the ball machine working on his less than stellar hands.

7. Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona, if at first you don’t succeed, keep rushing the QB. Reed is a quintessential rotational player. Can be part of a DE rotation. As we all know, you gotta put pressure on the QB. Who knows what Barwin looks like next year. I say, get as many pass rushers as we can and let the chips fall where they may.

1. Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma, solid natural RDE who has a good motor. A friend for Mario. Would start immediatley and should be able to give Mario some help.

2. Sione Fua, DT, Stanford, a very solid sturdy DT who can tie up blockers and push forward while still not being a running game liability. Has the ability to play Nose should we decide to switch to a 3-4 next year.

3. Chris Marve, ILB, Vanderbilt, a good solid tackler, can cover, and can make plays. May be needed if Meco is not ready. Could also be used as an ILB if we switch to a 3-4 next year.

4. Jeron Johnson, SS, Boise State, the anti Pollard. He is not a hard hitter, but a sure tackler, solid in the run game and is not a liability in the pass game. The way the game rules are moving, having a SS who can tackle, be solid in the run game, and not a liability in the pass game is going to be more valuable than a hard hitter.

5. Will Rackley, G, Lehigh, a small school sleeper special. Keep[ an eye out for him.

6. Niles Paul, WR/KR/PR, Nebraska, a threat on KR/PR and is big enough to play WR. He would be able to challenge Holiday for Special team duty. Plus he would allow JJ to spend some time with the ball machine working on his less than stellar hands.

7. Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona, if at first you don’t succeed, keep rushing the QB. Reed is a quintessential rotational player. Can be part of a DE rotation. As we all know, you gotta put pressure on the QB. Who knows what Barwin looks like next year. I say, get as many pass rushers as we can and let the chips fall where they may.
In our PMs, Beerlover has argued for another light, fast DE to couple with Mario and also to be insurance for Barwin. I am ok with this but of course if Barwin seems to be recovering during off season, I don't believe I would draft that way in the first.
2.Fua is looking good but I have not seen much of him this season just reading his clips.

As our season plunges, my bye week mock seems even more on target with us rising in draft position.

In our PMs, Beerlover has argued for another light, fast DE to couple with Mario and also to be insurance for Barwin. I am ok with this but of course if Barwin seems to be recovering during off season, I don't believe I would draft that way in the first.
2.Fua is looking good but I have not seen much of him this season just reading his clips.

As our season plunges, my bye week mock seems even more on target with us rising in draft position.

I hear you. But I guess my thinking is, you cannot have too many good pass rushers. The New York Giants are the example. In Super Bowl XLII they had Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, and Kiwanuka all pass rushing. Even look at the game this year. The Texan offense fell apart becuase the Giants were constantly in the backfield. Rush the QB, and good things happen. I subscribe the philosophy of as many pass rushers as possible is a good thing.

I hear you. But I guess my thinking is, you cannot have too many good pass rushers. The New York Giants are the example. In Super Bowl XLII they had Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, and Kiwanuka all pass rushing. Even look at the game this year. The Texan offense fell apart becuase the Giants were constantly in the backfield. Rush the QB, and good things happen. I subscribe the philosophy of as many pass rushers as possible is a good thing.

Yea, if you have too many guys to rush the passer,you can (gasp) get creative. I know, its a foreign thought in H town.

Interesting edge rusher, are you predicting Texans change to a 3-4 because he projects to OLB like Clay Matthews does in Green Bay?

Again I see you re-tooling towards a 3-4. something I would like to see too but it's not happening unless Kubiak & Co. are fired.

Quick & dirty overhaul more like it. 3-4 ILB does not fit 4-3. I see you working, clearly change is a coming.

Really like JJ, he would be an excellent addition any scheme. like his intelligence on the field, a leader solid tackler.

Will Rackley is like my 3rd rd. pick Ben Ijalana, Villanova a small school LT who projects inside to Guard in the NFL. people knocked my for thinking he would still be there in the 3rd so I guess the same would apply for a similar talent to last until the 5th?

funny but true...yes seems like a very good addition to compete on special teams work into the rotation. listen people are digging KJ for getting burned by Charger off the practice squad, third string Charger WR Seyi Ajirotutu well here is what the scouts said about him going into last years draft - by Rob Rang
Ajirotutu, an undrafted free agent from Fresno State, impressed early last year in a Bulldog loss to Wisconsin (six catches for 83 yards, two TDs) and again at the East-West Shrine Game. Here is what I wrote in Slant about him:
Ajirotutu intrigues scouts in much the same way as former WAC standout Legedu Naanee (San Diego) did for Boise State - with great size, raw speed and physical play. His underrated straight-line speed (reportedly has been timed in the 4.3s) forces corners to respect him deep and his size and crisp footwork gives him easy separation on slants and dig routes. Ajirotutu has shown the ability to high-point passes, using his size advantage to "box out" smaller cornerbacks (see Wisconsin, 9/12). Ajirotutu's physicality also lends itself well as a downfield blocker. In fact, as his blocking Saturday night against the Warriors can attest, Ajirotutu is a significant contributor to the success of junior Ryan Matthews, the nation's leading rusher. Fresno's focus on the running game will keep Ajirotutu's number modest (4-48 yards against UH), but with patience, he has the raw talent to blossom in the pros.

totally down with your thinking here another 3-4 OLB or 4-3 RDE.

Great job on the quick, attainable conversion to a 3-4 defense, if that's the path we wind up choosing :goodluck:

Can not have enough rushers or linebackers or CBs or TEs or...

I was hopeful this next draft would be BPA but not happening as we basically have same needs as last two drafts except for running back. And to think we filled that with a UDFA!

Great job on the quick, attainable conversion to a 3-4 defense, if that's the path we wind up choosing :goodluck:

I honestly think if Kubes goes, and i think he might, we go to a 3-4. That has been the trend in the NFL these days. If you were doing a 4-3 and can your coach you move to a 3-4. If you were playing a 3-4 and can your coach, you move to a 4-3. So, as you correctly pointed out, I overhauled the defense in one draft. Some players end up becoming less useful. But if we pick the players I have here, this is what our 3-4 would look like.

Mario Williams---Sione Fua----Amobi Okoye

Jeremy Beal----Demeco Ryans---Chris Marve----Cushing/Connor Barwin

Glover Quinn--------------------------------------Kareem Jackson

....................................Jeron Johnson....................................................................................

----------------------------------------Troy Nolan

This can potentially work. Mario becomes the Marcus Spears of this D. He can attack the QB, play solid run and keep pressure from his area. You figure Mario gets a bunch of Double teams, but Mario can handle it.Fua plays his role as a guy tying up blockers. Fua now presents the Offense with a problem. Can you double him? If so, you have just one lineman on Okoye? Thats fine. Okoye can tie up that blocker and play stout run D. Now with these three up front our 2 OLB can provide pressure: Beal and Cush/Barwin/other pure rushers. it prevents havoc for the D. With a real 3-4 DT, we protect Meco and he can do his best work rushing up the middle, patrolling the middle. Plus he has a very solid helper in Marve. Meco becomes our Patrick Willis with the addition of Marve, our Takeo Spikes. With this new pressure, our CBs will certainly play better, especially with a SS who can do more than just hit hard in JJ. Nolan as the FS compliments JJ and his CBs well.

Will this D be a top 5 D? Doubtful, but I figure it can be average.

Rd1 Beal- good pick if coacing change, I like Von Miller more he's more explosive.

Rd2 Fua- Like this pick, Drafting Fua and adding a vet NT would help solve the interior DL problems.

Rd3 Marve- Perfect ILB in a 3/4 defense. Smart,tough,playmaker

Rd4 Johnson- Dont know anything about him. Can he play FS?

Rd5 Rackley- Dont Know anything about him either.

Rd6 Paul- He can be the KR/PR Holiday was supposed to be.

Rd7 Reed- Love this pick, Reed has the athletic ability and could be a steal.

Although I dont know anything about Johnson or Rackley. I will wenture to say this would be a better draft than what Smithiak will do come April. Atleast there are 4-5 guys that will contribute quickly. I garuntee you that the Beal pick will be better than the K.Jackson/Okoye 1st rd picks.

With that said this team is still lacking as CB and FS just like last yr. Even after this draft. But almost all of the pieces are in place to run a much more effective 3-4. After this draft we would not be ranked32nd in defense.IMHO

the most successful drafts are those who project players abilites into their system seamless & add value/strength to pick. they don't even have to be close to consensus BPA on the board, they just have to fit & improve team day one. IF the Texans really tank & stink it up rest of way they should consider upgrading an area where they need help most of all, someone who makes those around him better. I have a player in mind but that's for another day, I just have one question for Awtysst. Who do you see driving defensive change of guard, head coach/defensive coordinator? keep Kubiak, fire Bush & bring in Wade Phillips?

the most successful drafts are those who project players abilites into their system seamless & add value/strength to pick. they don't even have to be close to consensus BPA on the board, they just have to fit & improve team day one. IF the Texans really tank & stink it up rest of way they should consider upgrading an area where they need help most of all, someone who makes those around him better. I have a player in mind but that's for another day, I just have one question for Awtysst. Who do you see driving defensive change of guard, head coach/defensive coordinator? keep Kubiak, fire Bush & bring in Wade Phillips?

I have gone back and forth on the issue. I think it depends on where the team finishes. If they finish with 6 or fewer wins, Kubes is gone. 7+ wins he stays. Either way, D coordinator is gone. So, they question that needs to be asked is who would be available. One way to go is to hire a defensive minded head coach who was fired ala a Wade Phillips. So, which team head coaches may be on the hot seat?

Here is my list: John Fox(D4-3), Brad Childress(offense), Chan Gailey(Offense),

Maybe: Mike Singletary, this is his third season and the team is looking lost.

marvin lewis: up and down and and down.

Jim Schwartz is a maybe. He has only been there for 2 years. Is that enough time?

Of that list, Fox is the only D coach who has a good shot to get kicked out. Singletary and Lewis are also interesting D coordinator options if they are fired. Even Wade Phillips could be interesting.

So Kubiak-Singletary/Lewis/Phillips would require a 3-4 change and given the fact that Kubiak himself may be on a short rope, he may opt for an easier transition and choose a John Fox to keep the 4-3.

Anothet thing to do could be to look for former D coordinators like Rod Ryan. He did well in Oakland but badly in Clevelend. He is currently part of Samurai Mike's D in SF.

Now, if whole sale changes come, in addition to the normal names like Cowher, Gruden, Billick, throw in names like Lezlie Frasier, possibly a Jim Harbaugh(given big brother's success in Baltimore).

So, I know I didn't exactly answer your question, but I would say the transition to a 3-4 may not if Kubes is still here and may be more likely if he is fired.

I have gone back and forth on the issue. I think it depends on where the team finishes. If they finish with 6 or fewer wins, Kubes is gone. 7+ wins he stays. Either way, D coordinator is gone. So, they question that needs to be asked is who would be available. One way to go is to hire a defensive minded head coach who was fired ala a Wade Phillips. So, which team head coaches may be on the hot seat?

Here is my list: John Fox(D4-3), Brad Childress(offense), Chan Gailey(Offense),

Maybe: Mike Singletary, this is his third season and the team is looking lost.

marvin lewis: up and down and and down.

Jim Schwartz is a maybe. He has only been there for 2 years. Is that enough time?

Of that list, Fox is the only D coach who has a good shot to get kicked out. Singletary and Lewis are also interesting D coordinator options if they are fired. Even Wade Phillips could be interesting.

So Kubiak-Singletary/Lewis/Phillips would require a 3-4 change and given the fact that Kubiak himself may be on a short rope, he may opt for an easier transition and choose a John Fox to keep the 4-3.

Anothet thing to do could be to look for former D coordinators like Rod Ryan. He did well in Oakland but badly in Clevelend. He is currently part of Samurai Mike's D in SF.

Now, if whole sale changes come, in addition to the normal names like Cowher, Gruden, Billick, throw in names like Lezlie Frasier, possibly a Jim Harbaugh(given big brother's success in Baltimore).

So, I know I didn't exactly answer your question, but I would say the transition to a 3-4 may not if Kubes is still here and may be more likely if he is fired.

thanks for your response that's a lot to digest. these are tough questions but ones that need answers heading into another off season. one thing I know we agree on is there needs to be more sense of urgency both on & off the field :foottap:

Rob Ryan is the DC in Cleveland.

To add to your post a guy that could be brought in to be DC is Dave McGinnis a former DC and HC for the Cards, and current Asst HC and LB coach for the Titans.

Plus every year some DC is let go for what ever reason. Gregg Williams sucked at Jacksonville but look at what he did in New Orleans. Perry Fewell was let go by the Bills and he is looking strong for the Giants.

Player make the coaches and players kill the coaches.

Rob Ryan is the DC in Cleveland.

To add to your post a guy that could be brought in to be DC is Dave McGinnis a former DC and HC for the Cards, and current Asst HC and LB coach for the Titans.

Plus every year some DC is let go for what ever reason. Gregg Williams sucked at Jacksonville but look at what he did in New Orleans. Perry Fewell was let go by the Bills and he is looking strong for the Giants.

Player make the coaches and players kill the coaches.

At some point though, if the coach continues to have solid defense year after year, you have to wonder. For example, LeBeau in Pitt always has a good D. Jim Johnson ALWAYS had a good D in Philly. Was it good players each and every time or is it that the coaches were just that good.

At some point though, if the coach continues to have solid defense year after year, you have to wonder. For example, LeBeau in Pitt always has a good D. Jim Johnson ALWAYS had a good D in Philly. Was it good players each and every time or is it that the coaches were just that good.

It's got to be a combination of the two.

It's got to be a combination of the two.

Agreed,

So when a defense is bad would you say it's a combination of the two? Who drafted and coached these players on the Texans?

And if it is what would you do to fix the problem?

A combination of things, imo. LeBeau has the best scheme and is wonderful at showing one thing and doing another, and the front office knows exactly which type of guys to draft to fit the scheme, and they do not rush players on the field, the player is given time to learn the job.

Agreed,

So when a defense is bad would you say it's a combination of the two? Who drafted and coached these players on the Texans?

And if it is what would you do to fix the problem?

I shake it up, the front office and the coaching staff. 5 years is more than enough time.

Me too

I was wanting to see what a koolaid drinker like JB's response would be.

Shockingly he didn't respond.

I told ya, I'm workin on it. I want to give it some thought instead of shooting something out with no thought.

OK, my bad

Looking forward to your well thought out response.

Dude, I don't know if it will be a well thought out response. But I don't want to throw the same regurgitated crap out there. Right now, I honestly don't know how to fix it, so that's why I gotta drink err think over it.

Dude, I don't know if it will be a well thought out response. But I don't want to throw the same regurgitated crap out there. Right now, I honestly don't know how to fix it, so that's why I gotta drink err think over it.

I dont know how to fix it either. But status quo isn;t going to fix it. IMHO

I think I'll take your advice ,sit down have a few drinks and think about it. LOL

Sorry to derail this thread back to the original post but I think very lowly of Niles Paul.

Maybe it is the offense they are running this year with Martinez but I have seen nothing that excites me about Paul.

Back