Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2010   #1
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Single WTF play that changed the game

First let me say, I am not angry or upset at the game yesterday. I think we had a chance to win it in the end and we just didn't get there yesterday. Which was much better than the butt whipping handed to us in a basket ending that I actually expected walking into that stadium.

However. There is one singe, GAME CHANGING, play yesterday that I am still trying to figure out. The very first play of the 4th QTR. We are on the San Diego's 17 yd line. We just made a pass play of 5 yds on a 3rd and 6, so we're a yard short. It is 4th and 1 on their 17 yd line. We are ONLY up 2 pts, the score is 23-21 Houston ahead.

And we go for it?? And of course turn the ball over on downs.

Why did we not take the 'chipshot' FG?? Puts us up by 5, instead of only 2. Changes the entire game ending as even with the Chargers TD and 2 pt conversion, we still only need a FG at the end of the game to win it. Not tie, but WIN. Why in the name of all Holy Football Gods do we NOT take the pts there???

But without going into the 'if only this' kinda threads, but taking an actual game play that was completely against all football logic that I know of, we don't take points when the Chargers only have to score a FG to take the lead.

This is the play that won or lost the entire game. Not the 'hurry up' one that everyone wants to discuss. That one was much later and not even necessary is we play this one correctly.
Old 11-08-2010   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Single WTF play that changed the game

this was my thoughts on it at the time

Quote:
I haven't seen any quotes from Kubiak yet on why he went for it on 4th when they were in field goal range.. however, I did think that they needed to just take the 3 points while you have a basic chip shot but I was also thinking "well I don't blame them for going for it, the defense is getting drilled.. a first down here would eat some more time and keep the defense off the field and also 4 new downs to try to get 7"

from the fire frank bush thread
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I ask this same question yesterday Pete. I simply did not understand WHY we did not go for a FG that would have put us ahead. No one I talked to seemed to have an answer either. Just another Kubiak brain fart I guess.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 62699 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The fans wanted Kubiak to go for it, and Im guessing he was swayed

Just a clarification point: If we go up by 5 and then they score a TD and 2 pointer (8 points), that puts them up by 3. A fg in that instance would not win it, but would tie the game
Old 11-08-2010   #5
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the reply Wolf. But there is a huge difference, IMO, in how you play defense when you're up by 5 instead of 2 pts. So wouldn't the FG actually have helped our defense, in that sense. Taking some of the pressure off them and allowing them to defend against a TD, instead of just a FG.

Everyone seems to be focused on the other 4th and 1 play later in the game. But even that play wasn't necessary if we just take the pts here.

I mean a 2 pt lead, usually, is not even a 'decision' by a Head Coach, they always take the points.

Especially with a struggling defense. We need all the points we can get.
Old 11-08-2010   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
Just a clarification point: If we go up by 5 and then they score a TD and 2 pointer (8 points), that puts them up by 3. A fg in that instance would not win it, but would tie the game
thanks for the correction gtexan02.

Your correct. But we still take it into OT with a FG. We don't have to score a TD at the end like yesterday.

really the question is why up by 2 pts, and we don't take the points? That is just not a logical football decision, IMO.
Old 11-08-2010   #7
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're the best red zone team in football this year, believe it or not. I like that he had confidence that his offense could get that first down. He was playing for the win and not the tie. You get that first, run more time off the clock and score a TD, the game is almost out of reach for SD. It's something Bellichik would've done, and I was actually happy to see the attempt. Hindsight is 20/20. If they'd made the first and scored, everyone would be talking about how much of a genius call it was.

I, for one, think football is a 4-down sport, not "3 and kick".
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2010   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
First let me say, I am not angry or upset at the game yesterday. I think we had a chance to win it in the end and we just didn't get there yesterday. Which was much better than the butt whipping handed to us in a basket ending that I actually expected walking into that stadium.

However. There is one singe, GAME CHANGING, play yesterday that I am still trying to figure out. The very first play of the 4th QTR. We are on the San Diego's 17 yd line. We just made a pass play of 5 yds on a 3rd and 6, so we're a yard short. It is 4th and 1 on their 17 yd line. We are ONLY up 2 pts, the score is 23-21 Houston ahead.

And we go for it?? And of course turn the ball over on downs.

Why did we not take the 'chipshot' FG?? Puts us up by 5, instead of only 2. Changes the entire game ending as even with the Chargers TD and 2 pt conversion, we still only need a FG at the end of the game to win it. Not tie, but WIN. Why in the name of all Holy Football Gods do we NOT take the pts there???

But without going into the 'if only this' kinda threads, but taking an actual game play that was completely against all football logic that I know of, we don't take points when the Chargers only have to score a FG to take the lead.

This is the play that won or lost the entire game. Not the 'hurry up' one that everyone wants to discuss. That one was much later and not even necessary is we play this one correctly.
Disagree. I think Kubiak make the right call here. Up till that point, the Texan defense had done virtually nothing to slow down the Charger offense. They had thrown and run on us with relative ease. Kicking a fg would have given us 3 nice points, but if the opposition is going up and down the field getting tds, you need em too. 3 points would have been nice, but Kubiak needed 7 and in my opinion made the right call.

Now, the Texan D did actually show up and made a a couple of key stops, but up until then they had not done anything and there was no reason to believe they could.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

We went for it because it is pretty clear that our defense can't prevent a score. We needed to be up by more the 8 points to win that game.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #10
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I, for one, think football is a 4-down sport, not "3 and kick".
it is when you play the Texans, just ask KC. They went for it twice on 4th downs and made it in their opening drive against us.

As for the best red zone stat, you we're correct, yesterday morning. But I don't think that is true today BECAUSE we were 100% in scoring completion of either a FG or TD all the way up UNTIL the very play that I am pointing out. Up until that play at that time we ALWAYS took the points. Always.

The play that I am referring to killed the 100% Red Zone eff. we had all the way up till then.

why change? Why do something different??

And I will never applaud that call when only up 2 pts. If we're up by 4, perhaps. If we're up by 6 I might buy into your logic. But up by 2 and we don't take the points? Come on. Really?
Old 11-08-2010   #11
Andre_Johnson
Duck Fallas!

Section: Sec: 127 Row: C Seat: 18
Rep Power: 49 Andre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respected

Good aggressive call at the time, poor play selection, thus poor results.

With that said, if you take the field goal and put the points on the board, your defense plays differently and momentum is still on our side. Overall, Kubiak takes this kind of risk all the time and I was not surprised.

I was more upset with the hurry up offense with 5 minutes to go, they could have given the ball to Arian or Ward on a couple of draws and Schaub wouldn't have had to force any throws. The offensive play-calling at the end of games this year has been questionable, it's almost as if Rick Dennison falls in love with the pass too much when running the ball isn't really a bad idea.

Thoughts?
Andre_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #12
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I will never applaud that call when only up 2 pts. If we're up by 4, perhaps. If we're up by 6 I might buy into your logic. But up by 2 and we don't take the points? Come on. Really?
I think you do it every time as long as you're up by more than 1 point and less than 7 and more than 4 minutes left. You want to go up by 2 scores any chance you can.
Old 11-08-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I think you do it every time as long as you're up by more than 1 point and less than 7 and more than 4 minutes left. You want to go up by 2 scores any chance you can.

Ummm, going up by 5 is not going up by 2 scores.
Old 11-08-2010   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Ummm, going up by 5 is not going up by 2 scores.
Safety and a fg?!

I know, I'm just trying to help him out!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Safety and a fg?!

I know, I'm just trying to help him out!
Old 11-08-2010   #16
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson View Post
Good aggressive call at the time, poor play selection, thus poor results.

With that said, if you take the field goal and put the points on the board, your defense plays differently and momentum is still on our side. Overall, Kubiak takes this kind of risk all the time and I was not surprised.

I was more upset with the hurry up offense with 5 minutes to go, they could have given the ball to Arian or Ward on a couple of draws and Schaub wouldn't have had to force any throws. The offensive play-calling at the end of games this year has been questionable, it's almost as if Rick Dennison falls in love with the pass too much when running the ball isn't really a bad idea.

Thoughts?
Mentioned this on another post. That was a really well-rested defense after a long drive by their offense. And they had stuffed our run game the entire 2nd half. By playing a no-huddle (it wasn't really a hurry-up as much as a no-huddle, because they did run some draws and screens), it kept the defense on its hells. And guess what? IT WORKED. AJ catches that ball, we're within a hair of pulling it out.
Old 11-08-2010   #17
thegr8fan
All Pro

Up by 5 changes the pressure on our Defense and also forces San Diego to get a TD, not a FG. Taking that FG there would have given the Texans the momentum, changed the defensive playcalling and allowing us to get a little more aggressive Defensively and also forced SD to score a TD, and not a FG, thus putting the pressure on them to score and changing their playcalling. IMO
Old 11-08-2010   #18
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
AJ catches that ball, we're within a hair of pulling it out.
Take the FG on this play and it doesn't matter whether AJ catches that pass or not. We only needed a FG to tie the score. And hopefully take it into OT.
Old 11-08-2010   #19
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Take the FG on this play and it doesn't matter whether AJ catches that pass or not. We only needed a FG to tie the score. And hopefully take it into OT.
Um..that play resulted in an interception. We can't kick a FG when the other team has the ball.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7350 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

The book Hidden Game of Football has a good table about what to do in that situation. It tells you the win probabibility (based on 10 seasons of game situation) based on the situation (score, yardage, etc) if you go for it rather than kick the field goal.

It actually recommends going for the first down. I don't disagree with the call and as gtexan pointed out, we would still be down by 3 and would need a FG to tie. I don't think it was a bad call, we just couldn't execute.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read