Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2010   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Putting it in perspective...

I am NOT mad about yesterday's game. Disappointed and bummed? Yeah. But it's hard to be mad.

We just got beat by a team that's 3-5. So what? They're second in the NFL in total defense (4th in passing, 5th in rushing), and first in offense (1st in passing, 14th in rushing). And we lost on a couple of controversial calls and a dropped ball by our best player.

What's to be mad about? It was a well-coached, well-played, hard-fought game. Fire Kubiak for losing by less than a touchdown against one of the statistically best teams in the league?

Pssshhhht, pleese. We ain't the 1-7 cowboys.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Putting it in perspective...

SSShhh, you will be accused of being blind drunk on the koolaid. Logic has no place on this MB.
Old 11-08-2010   #3
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
SSShhh, you will be accused of being blind drunk on the koolaid. Logic has no place on this MB.
* ducks *
Old 11-08-2010   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I am NOT mad about yesterday's game. Disappointed and bummed? Yeah. But it's hard to be mad.

We just got beat by a team that's 3-5. So what? They're second in the NFL in total defense (4th in passing, 5th in rushing), and first in offense (1st in passing, 14th in rushing). And we lost on a couple of controversial calls and a dropped ball by our best player.

What's to be mad about? It was a well-coached, well-played, hard-fought game. Fire Kubiak for losing by less than a touchdown against one of the statistically best teams in the league?

I believe Kubiak is being judged for more than his last game.
Old 11-08-2010   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You and I are normally on the same page. Not here, though. I'm pissed.
Old 11-08-2010   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I am no body language expert, but....survey says "YES"

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #7
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm pissed about the cowboys and Giants games. There were no excuses for those. The Colts game? Lots of people lose there. I was disappointed and irritated, but I'll take a split with the Colts any year. But against a VERY good Chargers team (record notwithstanding) that we took down to the wire? It's hard to be mad about that. Disappointment and anger are not the same thing.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2010   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

dont you try to talk me off the ledge
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm pissed about the cowboys and Giants games. There were no excuses for those. The Colts game? Lots of people lose there. I was disappointed and irritated, but I'll take a split with the Colts any year. But against a VERY good Chargers team (record notwithstanding) that we took down to the wire? It's hard to be mad about that. Disappointment and anger are not the same thing.
I hear what you're saying about the Colts and I get that. I wasn't pissed that we lost it, I was pissed at how we lost it... It was a winnable game. We knew the formula to beat the Colts and we abandoned that. Not only that, the player's performance sucked as equally as the game plan...

I'm pissed about yesterday because we are now 2-3 at home.... That means we only have 3 home games remaining in the next 8... Blown opportunities.
Old 11-08-2010   #10
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm pissed about yesterday because we are now 2-3 at home.... That means we only have 3 home games remaining in the next 8... Blown opportunities.
Yeah, I don't know whether to be bummed or GLAD that I've been unable to make the last 4 games.
Old 11-08-2010   #11
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what it is, I was drinking the Kool-Aid this year. I was so excited. Our O was unstopable, Jacoby was coming into his own. We were even debating making him our 2 reciever. We were getting OD back. Our D with Pollard, Demeco, Cushing, did great last year. We dominated some games, and we lost games that came down to the wire, breaking my heart. I was like ok we are getting good, look at these games we should of won.
I have seen no domination this year on anything, except for Foster. I feel like the Texans regressed. I know the scheduale is harder, but we can't do anything on either side of the ball, can't dominate any part of the game. Even when Foster is kicking ass, what do we do? pass the ball..
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #12
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 775 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected

In perspective, the Texans are only one game out of first, what with both the Titans and Colts losing their recent games.

I'm a Kubiak-backer but I have to say I was VERY disappointed with his play-calling during the Monday Night Colts game. Still, the Texans were down 30-17 with over 5 minutes left and were unable to drive down to get a makeable touchdown to bring them closer. As it turned out, after punting, the D stopped the Peyton again...so imagine if the Texans got the ball back down 30-24. As bad as the Texans were that game, they were still in position for one of their patented come-back games...but it just wasn't in the cards.

In the Chargers game, while it they should have called a time-out before plunging on that 4th and 2 play, I can see why Kubiak did it. With what went on during that game, it STILL boiled down to Andre simply making that catch with 1:20 or so left! If he makes that catch, we probably go on to win that game, ala Washington and K.C. Again it wasn't in the cards.

The Chargers also lost to teams that the Texans defeated. And they're 4-5.

The rest of this season, it does look daunting because we do not have the defense that can CONSISTENTLY get opposing offenses off the field...but to give them props they have made game turning stops and turnovers when our offense needed them. I guess that's all we can count on.

And no, thank goodness that the hot-headed illogical fans calling for Kubiak's head don't make the decisions. He may make some dumb decisions (but then even Super Bowl winning coaches like Belichick also do) but he has them generally competing well (except the Giants and Cowboys games). So the blowhards should relax and eat a gyro. Kubiak isn't going anywhere at this time. Jesus, we could be in the Buffalo Bills' or Dallas Cowboys' fanbase right now, eh?

But that Texans defense HAS to get fixed down the road before they can get to the next level. I feel that the Texans offensive system is now well-placed for awhile. Naturally, with the surge of the running game, the passing attack isn't what it was last year...but it's not like it disappeared. The passing game was still crucial to victories this year.

I mean, come on. This has really been an overall competitive NFL season, the good teams having an up and down year. The Pats got whacked 34-14? Only the Giants in the NFC look like true world-beaters right now, as of this moment...and I wouldn't be surprised if they go through a two or three game swoon down the road either.

It would have been nice for the Texans to go 13-3 or 12-4, per our dreams, but in this season of extreme parity...the Houston Texans ARE STILL in the hunt! Take it for what it is, people. Bandwagon fair-weather fans simply should get off already. I'm looking forward to the Jags game.
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #13
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Old 11-08-2010   #14
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Soo... We champion the stats of our opponent to justify losing to them?
We point at the Cowboys 1-7 to excuse a 4-4 record?

Hmm...

I thought we were over this type of thinking. Apparently not.
Old 11-08-2010   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They're second in the NFL in total defense (4th in passing, 5th in rushing),
Man, are you serious with this? Lol!

You don't honestly consider that awful defensive and offensive ranking that the NFL uses every year with meaningless stats to try and paint SD as a good defense are you?? I really hope not, because SD is anything but a good defense. I almost threw up in my mouth earlier last week when people tried to call SD the top ranked defense. I hear this garbage every year about certain teams where they use these skewed stats from all over the place to paint a defense and also an offense as one of the top teams off of a combination of stats, but that doesn't make the statement anywhere close to being true. The Chargers don't even have what I would consider a "good defense". They've gotten scored on all season long. The only stat anyone should look at to indicate who the best defenses in the league are is average points per game that the defense gives up or that the offense scores.

Quote:
And we lost on a couple of controversial calls and a dropped ball by our best player.
And SD was without their 4 best offensive skill players in Jackson, Gates, Floyd, and Mathews and our defense still got toasted. Nice way to ignore the real glaring facts here.

Quote:
Is this stuff serious??? Honestly? How do you come into a thread and try to paint this team as such a great top team with skewed stats and yet these guys were 3-5 coming into this game??? Talk about a total contradiction. The Chargers are just as bad as the Texans are as far as under achieving this year and not playing up to their potential. They do actually have a much better excuse on offense though since all of their top skill players are injured.

Do people in here that are still trying to spin things for Kubiak even realize that the Chargers have had a better passing game than the Texans all season when they're best WR has been Malcom Floyd of all people and him and Gates are both hurt now??? We still have had AJ, Walters, Jacoby, Daniels, and Dressen and we haven't been more consistent than that unit.

And did you just call them well coached??? Lol! Norv Turner is like one of Kubiak's cousins or something, but just a better version of him and more proven. No one around the league considers Norv Turner to be some great coach though as far as a HC. He'll nevr take the Chargers anywhere.

Quote:
Oh great, we're not that 1-7 team that had their only win against "you know who" so that's something to feel good about. Seriously, man we need to drop this loser's mentality of trying to compare ourselves to the worst losers. This is embarrassing to have stuff like this being thrown around to make our fan base feel better. We should be trying to compare ourselves to the Patriots and the Steelers and franchises that consistently win. **** the Cowboys and their humiliating downfalls. It has nothing to do with us. We need to demand more from what we have and what we're going to get. I'm sick of this losing crap and this lack of urgency from Bob Mcnair. Demand accountability in your regime's 5th season. I hate Jerry Jones, but at least that pie hole demands accountability and expects success from his HC.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a well-coached, well-played, hard-fought game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Logic has no place on this MB.
This is a Sunnyside thread. I get that. But there was nothing about this game that would deserve the description of "well-coached". As Spock would say:

Old 11-08-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
In perspective, the Texans are only one game out of first, what with both the Titans and Colts losing their recent games.

I'm a Kubiak-backer but I have to say I was VERY disappointed with his play-calling during the Monday Night Colts game. Still, the Texans were down 30-17 with over 5 minutes left and were unable to drive down to get a makeable touchdown to bring them closer. As it turned out, after punting, the D stopped the Peyton again...so imagine if the Texans got the ball back down 30-24. As bad as the Texans were that game, they were still in position for one of their patented come-back games...but it just wasn't in the cards.

In the Chargers game, while it they should have called a time-out before plunging on that 4th and 2 play, I can see why Kubiak did it. With what went on during that game, it STILL boiled down to Andre simply making that catch with 1:20 or so left! If he makes that catch, we probably go on to win that game, ala Washington and K.C. Again it wasn't in the cards.

The Chargers also lost to teams that the Texans defeated. And they're 4-5.

The rest of this season, it does look daunting because we do not have the defense that can CONSISTENTLY get opposing offenses off the field...but to give them props they have made game turning stops and turnovers when our offense needed them. I guess that's all we can count on.

And no, thank goodness that the hot-headed illogical fans calling for Kubiak's head don't make the decisions. He may make some dumb decisions (but then even Super Bowl winning coaches like Belichick also do) but he has them generally competing well (except the Giants and Cowboys games). So the blowhards should relax and eat a gyro. Kubiak isn't going anywhere at this time. Jesus, we could be in the Buffalo Bills' or Dallas Cowboys' fanbase right now, eh?
But that Texans defense HAS to get fixed down the road before they can get to the next level. I feel that the Texans offensive system is now well-placed for awhile. Naturally, with the surge of the running game, the passing attack isn't what it was last year...but it's not like it disappeared. The passing game was still crucial to victories this year.

I mean, come on. This has really been an overall competitive NFL season, the good teams having an up and down year. The Pats got whacked 34-14? Only the Giants in the NFC look like true world-beaters right now, as of this moment...and I wouldn't be surprised if they go through a two or three game swoon down the road either.

It would have been nice for the Texans to go 13-3 or 12-4, per our dreams, but in this season of extreme parity...the Houston Texans ARE STILL in the hunt! Take it for what it is, people. Bandwagon fair-weather fans simply should get off already. I'm looking forward to the Jags game.
Nice post. As far as the bolded, how do you think the Bengals fanbase is reacting right now. After sweeping their very tough division last year, they get beat down at home in the wild card game. This year they are 2-5 and are losing to Pittsburgh at the half. Ya think they would be estatic to have our 4-4 record?
Old 11-09-2010   #18
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont' worry, the Chargers destroyed the Jags in week 2. 4-4 is not bad at this time of the season.....a lot of teams would like to be in your place right now. Big game this weekend!
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #19
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Being happy with 4-4 is to embrace mediocrity. I don't follow that loser's mentality, and neither should Mcnair/Kubiak.
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #20
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade View Post
Being happy with 4-4 is to embrace mediocrity. I don't follow that loser's mentality, and neither should Mcnair/Kubiak.
Nobody is happy being 500. but at this point of season, you are still in the mix. If you get hot in November/December, then your chances of playoffs is apparent. Remember the Texans has the hardest ranked schedule this year and the Jags ranked 4th. The AFC South is still up for grabs...it's going to come down to, which team gets hot.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read