Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give this draft?
A 5 7.69%
B 31 47.69%
C 22 33.85%
D 7 10.77%
F 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Days Ago   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34366 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What grade do you give the 2015 draft?

Simple poll. Seems like a lackluster draft, but we still might have come away with three first round talents... No one to get too excited about, but a couple of quality starters would be very nice.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #2
brg88tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 16272 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade do you give this draft?

i was being generous and gave us a C. we have a qb named mallett that can throw the ball 80 yards in the air and we failed to get a burner (4.30 40 time) to get behind defenders. Indy now has 2 of these guys in hilton and dorsett. another rick smith failure.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88268 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i was being generous and gave us a C. we have a qb named mallett that can throw the ball 80 yards in the air and we failed to get a burner (4.30 40 time) to get behind defenders. Indy now has 2 of these guys in hilton and dorsett. another rick smith failure.
Maybe we do that in the future. Mallet hasn't really proven anything yet; he's just earned the chance to prove it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 422483 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

They looked to the future by drafting Kevin Johnson. I'd love to extend J-Jo another year or two - three solid CBs is better than two.

Then we addressed the two biggest needs - ILB and WR with Strong and McKinney. Both groups should be improved with those additions. Face it, ILB was Cushing and some JAGs as our WR corps was Hopkins and a guy the damned Jaguars no longer wanted and another bunch of JAGs.

The don't get an "A" because they didn't get the Brooks Reed replacement I was looking for.

I will have to wait and see if the late round picks and UDFA bunch bears any fruit. Any significant productivity out of that group is gravy.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 422483 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

From Mel-Hair-Gel...

Quote:
Houston Texans: B

Top needs: WR, ILB, OLB, QB

The continuing question around the Texans is whether they'll get enough out of the QB position to help elevate the good roster-building they've done elsewhere, but it's not like there was a starting QB play to be found in this draft for them, and they did a good job of continuing to strengthen the roster beyond that position. Kevin Johnson is a bit lean, but everything else is there, and I know some teams had him graded as the best cornerback in the draft. Benardrick McKinney is the thumper they needed at inside lineabacker, but I had both Eric Kendricks and Denzel Perryman rated higher. That's a situation in which you're looking for specific traits, and McKinney really makes his money tackling against the run. I probably had Jaelen Strong higher than most, given the way he dropped on the board -- I saw him as a possible Round 1 pick -- but I still see getting him in Round 3 as a potential steal, and having both him and DeAndre Hopkins on the field provides a lot of big-play ability. Strong can make the contested catch.
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88268 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not all super-psyched, but I'm OK with it.

I will be grading Rick Smith on the eventual outcome of Kevin Johnson. I'm sure he will eventually be something special, but in the unlikely event he is a flop, my opinion of Rick Smith will take a serious nosedive.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
You're assuming (a) he'll win the starting job. I'm not so sure and (b) he will regain that arm strength after recovery from that pec injury. I'm not sure about that either.
Sponsored links
Old 3 Days Ago   #8
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34366 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade do you give the 2015 draft?

I think our defense is really good. Against the run we should be one of the best teams with JJ, wilford, Cushing, McKinney... If Nix and Clowney can get it together we are scary. Our secondary is pretty good as well. Our only problem will be TEs and HBs that catch passes.

Our offense is a big queationmark though. How will our line look without Myers. Who will be our QB? Will he be decent?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Pete Prisco/CBSSports...

Houston Texans
Best Pick: Getting receiver Jaelen Strong in the third round is great value. He had first-round ability. He is big and strong and faster than people think.

Questionable move: They didn't take an edge rusher until the sixth round and they have some injury concerns at that position with Jadaveon Clowney.

Third-day gem: Seventh-round running back Kenny Hilliard flashed at times at LSU, so he's worth a look in the later rounds. You never know with a back.

Analysis: I like the pick of corner Kevin Johnson in the first round to help solidify that spot and Bernardrick McKinney helps fill a need at inside linebacker in the second round. Strong could be a real steal.
Grade: B+

WaPo...
HOUSTON TEXANS: The Texans got probably the draft’s second-best cornerback in Kevin Johnson, who was well worth the 16th overall choice. They added a solid linebacker in the second round in Benardrick McKinney, and they traded up to take advantage of WR Jaelen Strong’s drop to the third round. Strong was a terrific value at that point. Grade: B+
Old 3 Days Ago   #10
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 51848 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're assuming (a) he'll win the starting job. I'm not so sure and (b) he will regain that arm strength after recovery from that pec injury. I'm not sure about that either.
I think the Doc posted that the surgery Mallett had for his pec actually increases strength. Not sure if there is a flexibility trade off though.
Old 3 Days Ago   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I think the Doc posted that the surgery Mallett had for his pec actually increases strength. Not sure if there is a flexibility trade off though.
Thanks. I didn't recall that.

There's still the thing about Mallett beating out Hoyer. It may happen; I'm just not sure it's the slam dunk lots of folk believe it to be.
Old 3 Days Ago   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 328912 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's still the thing about Mallett beating out Hoyer. It may happen; I'm just not sure it's the slam dunk lots of folk believe it to be.
It had better be. I can't watch a season of Brian Hoyer at QB.

I'm kinda with the "experts" in that the Strong pickup in the 3rd elevates the draft. I think you can make a case that the Texans came out of the draft with 2 mid-late 1st round picks and a high 2nd round pick.

They had to gut their 3rd day picks to make that happen. After watching how they treated the late picks, maybe that wasn't a big deal. I wanted to see some edge rushers, but they did pickup a couple of guys as UDFAs that I like (Trail & Washington). So, maybe this all comes out OK.

The Strong selection bumps up the grade to B from C for me.
Old 3 Days Ago   #13
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 11234 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I give them a incomplete at the moment, I will issue a grade after a season or two. I usually do not get bent out of shape about what a good draft is or isn't because it is all a crap shot.
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 170894 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yes and no. Many players who had the surgery regained around 110% strength in the pectoral, but that is due to the focused rehab rather than the surgery itself. But that strength increase won't translate to stronger throws, just a stronger pec.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28225 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

My only issue with the draft was we did not take any OLinemen. I did not mind us trading picks to ensure the team got "their guy" that can be immediate contributors at positions of need. You can't fill every need in the draft but I think we are a much better team than we were on Wednesday.
Old 3 Days Ago   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 161390 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CND said often times they come back from this type of injury with MORE arm strength, when has CND ever been wrong ?

facebook.com/ThatRump
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 434929 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

No way this draft deserved an A, but I think giving it a C is being a tad harsh, so I went with a B.

Besides, we haven't the slightest idea of what these guys are going to do yet.
Old 3 Days Ago   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 328912 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
I give them a incomplete at the moment, I will issue a grade after a season or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Besides, we haven't the slightest idea of what these guys are going to do yet.
We know that. Just speculating here. Maybe we'll drag this topic up again in 2018 and re-grade.
Old 3 Days Ago   #19
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 188438 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

C for conservative
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

As for draft strategy, and I'm going to postulate here based on bits and pieces from numerous sources, I think we missed more than hit.

Texans hoped to trade back from #16 but the KC/SD trade just before us scuttled that. Called strike.

They went for the CB first. KJ2 was certainly in that range and there were other teams that had him higher than Waynes. Reasonable.

Dupree fell as expected. Texans attempted to trade back into the first for Dupree but were unable to consummate the deal. Swing and a miss.

Texans tried to trade back into the first (NE/#32) to draft Dorsett and that blew up when Indy drafted him. (Most NFL guys I've heard from are once again questioning Grigson's judgement.) Swing and a miss.

Texans may have kept the pick but the Patriots reneged when it became apparent Malcom Brown would be available. Swing and a miss.

Texans traded up to grab Benardrick McKinney in the second, a guy two pro scouts I know had potentially sneaking into the back of the first round. Close to even on the draft pick value chart. Objective met.

Texans traded up in the third first targeting WR Tyler Lockett who SEA snagged one pick ahead of us -- in a four-for-one deal -- and we had to go with option #2 Jaelen Strong. Hit by pitch?

One thing on Strong that may have fallen in our favor. He missed Combine medical rechecks and it was decided the Steelers Drs -- his next visit -- would do the recheck and provide that result to the league. Strong later had his team visit in Houston where we sent him to a specialist who said his scaphoid break had not advanced beyond the stress fracture. So did we have a bit of an advantage on the medical front? I'm told some teams removed him for missing the Combine recheck by their own doctors, S.O.P.

Those same pro scouts had Strong as the 4th best WR, atop the second tier. Late first/early second. Needs to learn the subtleties of the position and refine his rough route running. Contested catch/possession guy. Hard worker.

Covington is a medical boom/bust. So we have two players we're relying on medical opinions for. Let's see how those work out.

All of these guys are eager beaver special teams willing players.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read