Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O.B the OC

This dude is a horrible offensive coordinator, he is so uncreative and it could be me but it seems like he is trying to protect mallet, i saw very few deep routes in this game.

I know Mallet was not very accurate today, but the kid still looks pretty good to me, IMO all he needs is more game time. BUT shouldn't we take advantage of his biggest asset (HIS ARM STRENGTH). And that falls on O.B IMO.

And for the love of god stop throwing WR screens, as seen by defenses nobody is fooled.
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O.B the OC

Agree.

He is:

1) horribly predictable (do we ever throw on first down when we are leading?)
2) un-creative -- sorry, but I'm not seeing Chip Kelly out there...
3) relies too much on the run game. Arian is broken, how long until Blue is?

Where are the TE's? Where are the slants to the slot? Where
are the behind the LOS screens with multiple blockers in front?

Where is anything that looks novel? It's like 1970's college football without
the Wishbone.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

The fire O'brien avatar soap is in its embryo stage and it should be.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Agree.

He is:

1) horribly predictable (do we ever throw on first down when we are leading?)
2) un-creative -- sorry, but I'm not seeing Chip Kelly out there...
3) relies too much on the run game. Arian is broken, how long until Blue is?

Where are the TE's? Where are the slants to the slot? Where
are the behind the LOS screens with multiple blockers in front?

Where is anything that looks novel? It's like 1970's college football without
the Wishbone.
Yeah come to think about it i have not seen OB run a normal screen, he has to realize this is not college and 1 guy cant do it all by himself. Especially all the screens to AJ, I love AJ but he is not going to break many of those off for much.

If you want to use AJ put him in the slot and run him on some slants, especially in the red zone. His big body and hands would let him get automatic yards on 10 yard slant routes.
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

OB the OC is PB, but don't tell BM otherwise we'll all end up on KP.
Old 5 Days Ago   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds an awful lot like many of the things I complained about early in the season .... I stand by what I said back then , this offensive system sucks.

They were .... battling , played their tails off.

Same soup , different pot.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sounds an awful lot like many of the things I complained about early in the season .... I stand by what I said back then , this offensive system sucks.

They were .... battling , played their tails off.

Same soup , different pot.
We run it on 1st down every single time, if we go down by multiple scores then we might change it up, but come on.

I thought the job of the "OC" was to keep defenses guessing, if we at home know what is coming you can bet opposing coaches know.
Old 5 Days Ago   #8
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess it's going to take a full season for the players to grasp that "complex" O'Brien offense.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've noticed when I go to restaurants if they have a big menu the chances are they make nothing especially good. But if the menu is a little simpler, but still with plenty of choices, you get a good meal almost no matter what you order.

I've been thinking the last few weeks this offense is too complex for it's own good. Maybe dumb it down and add plays later, I don't know.
Old 5 Days Ago   #10
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
The fire O'brien avatar soap is in its embryo stage and it should be.
I have the domain rights to firemorey.com

Maybe I should add another one?
Old 5 Days Ago   #11
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I've noticed when I go to restaurants if they have a big menu the chances are they make nothing especially good. But if the menu is a little simpler, but still with plenty of choices, you get a good meal almost no matter what you order.

I've been thinking the last few weeks this offense is too complex for it's own good. Maybe dumb it down and add plays later, I don't know.
Imo there is nothing complex about this offense at all. It's bland and not unique at all. To me it's all about timing and quick throws. Similar to the Patriots. The difference is we don't have a ton of experience as a group playing together. Timing is off a lot and then you add in malletts accuracy issues today and you get the result we did.
Old 5 Days Ago   #12
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Well-said.

Let them emulate the Patriots when they have a Brady at QB, a top-notch OL and a Belicheat as HC.
Old 5 Days Ago   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Well-said.

Let them emulate the Patriots when they have a Brady at QB, a top-notch OL and a Belicheat as HC.
So you saying we should have hired the video guy ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe any offense looks good when the qb can't hit a target. The ol couldn't run block today and mallet's accuracy was way off. I dont think any scheme is going to look genius when that happens.
Old 5 Days Ago   #15
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Imo there is nothing complex about this offense at all. It's bland and not unique at all. To me it's all about timing and quick throws. Similar to the Patriots. The difference is we don't have a ton of experience as a group playing together. Timing is off a lot and then you add in malletts accuracy issues today and you get the result we did.
Agreed, in a way. I think the complexity comes from the different looks OB wants to show the defense, all resulting in some oddly familiar plays. Just me.

I see a lot of guys fidgeting around like they don't think they lined up correctly on runs up the middle. That stuff tends to get in a players head.
Old 5 Days Ago   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think this offense will work if we actually get Tom Brady.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #17
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
So you saying we should have hired the video guy ?
That's funny.

And yes.
Old 5 Days Ago   #18
Tearstain
Rookie

Section: I wish :(
Rep Power: 5598 Tearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respectedTearstain is a quality contributor and well respected

I was expecting a big ass running attack.
big blocking TE drafted.
Tank drafted at FB
Top Guard drafted.
lots of I formation runs with a stop us if you can.

Obviously this was before our first pre season game
Tearstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstain View Post
I was expecting a big ass running attack.
big blocking TE drafted.
Tank drafted at FB
Top Guard drafted.
lots of I formation runs with a stop us if you can.

Obviously this was before our first pre season game
We were outclassed by cincy's front 7. X cant pass block. Prosch is one dimensional. Fido is neither a dominant run blocker or capable of stretching the field. Last week against the browns how many people complained about the offensive scheme? Id agree our passing game doesn't appear nearly as dynamic as it did in kubiaks heyday...but i wonder how much of that is a product of qb performance? If manning, Rodgers, or brees is here how brilliant does this offense look?
Old 5 Days Ago   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

They really don't have the weapons to be a spread offense. Just too slow at all the skill positions. Can't run short quick passes when guys are sitting on your WRs. The adjustment has to be more playaction and double moves to scheme them open.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read