Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alan Burge:What Bob McNair must be thinking

Quote:
Do you ever wonder what Texans owner Bob McNair is thinking? I do.

I was wondering what he was thinking yesterday when he and his son Cal and GM Rick Smith were standing on the sideline watching an unknown wide receiver by the name of Seyi Ajirotutu look like Jerry Rice as he ran past Texans #1 draft pick Kareem Jackson for a 55 yard TD in the first quarter.

"(The coaches) said that the corners tend to look inside," said Ajirotutu after the game. "So I just ran the route and luckily (Jackson) bit. I was just able to get open a just like (Head coach) Norv (Turner said).”

See how easy it is to beat the Texans defense?

For the record, Ajirotutu is a rookie undrafted free agent who the Chargers brought up from their practice squad three weeks ago. He came into the game with two NFL games under his belt and five career receptions.

But as was the case at Indy last Monday night, it doesn't matter who you throw out there at wide receiver, tight end or running back. The worst defense in the NFL (... um, that would be your Texans) will make them look like stars.

Now here's where it's about to get dicey, but bear with me. I'm thinking what Bob McNair's thinking. I'm not thinking what most of you are thinking.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...st-be-thinking

I agree with the article
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alan Burge:What Bob McNair must be thinking

I think AJ has hit the nail on the head, and his analysis of McNair's perspective is pretty much par for the course based upon our 8 and a half years of watching this franchise wallow in mediocrity. I think the last 8 games would have to be 1-7 or 2-6 for McNair to do something as drastic as firing Kubiak, so expect a subordinate's head to roll as a token of this suckiness.

Meanwhile, the fan base continues to grow apathetic, dispassionate, and bored....but loyal, so those seats keep getting sold!
Old 11-08-2010   #3
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta would have at least held/shoved him, and nixed the TD with a PI call. Shorter field, less room to get burned on.
Old 11-08-2010   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Better to get called for the horse-collar than give up a TD.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think it's strange that Mr. McNair should have a problem with a no-named Seyi Ajirotutu recalling memories of Jerry Rice.

I mean he's got a no-name Arian Foster looking like Jim Brown.

Know what I mean?
Old 11-08-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal View Post
Dunta would have at least held/shoved him, and nixed the TD with a PI call. Shorter field, less room to get burned on.
I haven't watched a lot of Falcons games..... how is ol Dunta doing over there?

The Falcons are what, #1, #2 in pass defense?
Old 11-08-2010   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it's strange that Mr. McNair should have a problem with a no-named Seyi Ajirotutu recalling memories of Jerry Rice.

Know what I mean?
That the head coach don't know how use in an appropriate fashion
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2010   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't watched a lot of Falcons games..... how is ol Dunta doing over there?

The Falcons are what, #1, #2 in pass defense?
Uh....I just looked it up here: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...1&d-447263-n=1

...and they appear to be 26th out of 32...

'Course that's better than 32 out of 32....Eugene Wilson!....and Kareem Jackson will fall down...

Old 11-08-2010   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

So McNair is thinking that he can market this team in 2011 with a new defensive coordinator and the same crappy head coach? I think that's been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya
There's an old saying in Tennessee. I know it's in Texas, probably Tennessee. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again.
Mr. McNair, we can't get fooled again.
Old 11-08-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Know what I mean?
you know what is scary about that?

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #11
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've actually been thinking the same thing that AJ is speculating what Bobby Mac is thinking. Anyone remember when Bud Adams hired Buddy Ryan against the wishes of Jack Pardee? What a freaking team THAT was that year.

Wade, we'd welcome you as our DC with open arms. As long as you don't have any sights on being the HC here.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What is wrong with the snuggy defense ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

This article brings up a point of interest that I've been thinking about for a little while now. Does Bob McNair even care what the fans are thinking, and does Bob McNair or anyone else in the Texans organization pay attention to these Texans websites as a way to judge the fan base opinion. I honestly get the feeling that Bob McNair wants a winning team but it's second to selling out the stadium and that he's satisfied with mediocrity as long as it doesn't hurt revenue.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is it that a fans opinion becomes gospel because he writes a blog or for a paper? Is his opinion somehow worth more than yours? Or is it gospel because you happen to agree with it?
Old 11-08-2010   #15
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
This article brings up a point of interest that I've been thinking about for a little while now. Does Bob McNair even care what the fans are thinking, and does Bob McNair or anyone else in the Texans organization pay attention to these Texans websites as a way to judge the fan base opinion. I honestly get the feeling that Bob McNair wants a winning team but it's second to selling out the stadium and that he's satisfied with mediocrity as long as it doesn't hurt revenue.
I don't know WHY this board seems to be the only place in the world that thinks Bob McNair is some money-hungry owner that doesn't care about the fans. He paid more than any other owner in the history of the game to bring football to Houston. If he wanted only money, he could have bought a team for L.A. where they have a bigger TV market. People have seen him behind closed doors absolutely LIVID about losses. He's down at field level before every game shaking hands and interacting with fans. He allowed tailgating back to our pro team, which Bud Adams banned to increase his concession sales. He implemented "fan friendly" kids' value packs in the concession areas so parents don't get robbed getting a snack for their kids.

Most importantly, even if you think it's about money, he's a smart businessman. He knows honeymoons don't last forever. If you want to keep selling out the stadium, you MUST put a winner on the field. Just ask Jacksonville.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just AJ's track record of being an excellent blogger.

I actualy think he's quite correct as well. If we could fix the defense without destroying the rest of theam, Id be quite content
Old 11-08-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
People say goofy crap about McNair all the time. Like he's more worried about the money.... As if Schaub isn't. Or Manning, or Brady.... they'd be wearing suits if the pay wasn't there.

No doubt about it, this is a business, & whether we're talking oil, or chinese manufactured clothing, McNair has pride in anything he puts his name on, just like you, or me, or anybody who is successful at what they do.

Old 11-09-2010   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, he cares.

No, I doubt he pays attention to the boards. It would probably drive him crazy to read all the negative comments. Also, he would more likely look at the official boards (if he were to do it at all), and, frankly, that site attracts more newbies and younger ones who are even more likely to spew crap....although we actually do complain more, because some of you guys actually know what you're talking about (I'm just here because it's fun to be an anonymous i-d-i-o-t in a public forum ).

Old 11-09-2010   #19
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

The more I think about this column, the more I cringe at his logic. I'm not saying he is wrong about McNair's thought process. It is just that process scares me. Kubiak has wiffed twice at selecting a decent DC. If I am running an organization, do I want someone in charge that cannot put a staff together? If I have to select his staff for him why do I need him in charge? If I have to micromanage, I have the wrong person in place. I'm just thinking from a business perspective here.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I've actually been thinking the same thing that AJ is speculating what Bobby Mac is thinking. Anyone remember when Bud Adams hired Buddy Ryan against the wishes of Jack Pardee? What a freaking team THAT was that year.

Wade, we'd welcome you as our DC with open arms. As long as you don't have any sights on being the HC here.
I'd take 12-4 and losing in the playoffs at this point (i.e. '93 Oilers).

As far as Wade, keep me out of we. I don't wan't rejects from the Cowboys, regardless of their Houston roots. Plus, implementing a 3-4 would only give Kubiak more excuses to be here longer, because they'd have to allow for a learning curve the first year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read