Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2010   #1
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub: the deer in the headlights

We saw it last year game after game.
I tried to explain it away. I tried to lie to myself and convince myself that Schaub would be able to step up and deliver in the clutch.

He just folds up like a cheap suit though.

The intentional grounding was the worst. He got the happy feet after a second or two when there was absolutely no one around him providing pressure. I was glad that they called it intentional grounding. He had zero reason to throw that ball.
The pass to Dreesen that tipped off his hands right before the int....wayyyy too high. There was a pass to Andre to start that last drive that should have been picked by Jammer. There was the pass right before the half that should have been a pick six by their linebacker. The int was not a well thrown ball, too far out in front of him. So many high balls to a wide open Andre Johnson that's standing still 20 yards away from Schaub. The pass to Dreesen, before the hurry up qb sneak that failed, that was too low or Dreesen could have stayed on his feet and got the first down.

It's excruciating to watch a qb that has the heart and determination like Phillip Rivers, then watch Schaub fold up like a tent.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub: the deer in the headlights

Gotta agree with ya, A LOT off his passes have been off this year. But its been a collective team effort come win or lose this year, thats for sure.
Old 11-08-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude, I can't say that Schaub isn't clutch. Two of our wins are purely on his ability to get us in the endzone in pressure situations. If not for Andre's bad play, Schaub may have very well pulled off yet another 4th quarter game winner.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #4
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Dude, I can't say that Schaub isn't clutch. Two of our wins are purely on his ability to get us in the endzone in pressure situations. If not for Andre's bad play, Schaub may have very well pulled off yet another 4th quarter game winner.
Yeah, that AJ play was pretty much a sure TD, as he would have had just one guy to beat (the Charger that intercepted it). It would have been another 4th quarter comeback. Sucks.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #5
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 12262 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub pretty much sucks this season. Looks to me like it's a shoulder injury. He's side-arming everything.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The intentional ground penalty was a HORRIBLE call. He had a TE nearby, he just had another bad throw. Go back and watch that play again. Even the charger loving Dan Fouts said it was a bad call.

He was not that accurate yesterday, that much of the OP I'll agree with. He has been clutch. Schaub is not the problem with this team. Although I agree he hasn't been consistent enough this season. If you don't think Schaub has heart and determination, I don't know what games you've been watchin'.
Old 11-08-2010   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Schaub pretty much sucks this season. Looks to me like it's a shoulder injury. He's side-arming everything.
I agree, he hasn't been consistent and not as sharp as he can be, he's still had some good games and won some in the clutch. I agree with you though, I am starting to think there is something physical going on with him. (I think it was eriadoc that said this in another thread, and it's what I have been thinking).
Old 11-08-2010   #8
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
The intentional ground penalty was a HORRIBLE call. He had a TE nearby, he just had another bad throw. Go back and watch that play again. Even the charger loving Dan Fouts said it was a bad call.

He was not that accurate yesterday, that much of the OP I'll agree with. He has been clutch. Schaub is not the problem with this team. Although I agree he hasn't been consistent enough this season. If you don't think Schaub has heart and determination, I don't know what games you've been watchin'.
This. All you had to do was watch Schaub prepare to get on the field on the last drive. He looked ready. Then, watch his expressions when AJ muffed the pass. He was pretty pissed.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
This. All you had to do was watch Schaub prepare to get on the field on the last drive. He looked ready. Then, watch his expressions when AJ muffed the pass. He was pretty pissed.
Yep. People can argue up and down about Schaub this and that, but the guy has proven his heart and determination many times over, I can't believe someone would even question that.
Old 11-08-2010   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Brakos!
Old 11-08-2010   #12
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Gotta agree with ya, A LOT off his passes have been off this year.
To be honest with you I haven't noticed any difference between his passes this year and those of last year and before. Schaub throws really funky balls at times (especially in the first quarter before he's really gotten into a rhythm)...that's just who he is.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #13
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Brakos!
C'mon, you read this title and thought of that too, admit it.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
To be honest with you I haven't noticed any difference between his passes this year and those of last year and before. Schaub throws really funky balls at times (especially in the first quarter before he's really gotten into a rhythm)...that's just who he is.
Yeah, he has thrown a few squibble balls at times. That being said, the guy is better when its crunch time.
Old 11-14-2010   #15
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

It's almost as if we are playing without a quarterback.
EVERY pass is high and wide. Easy pass to Casey for a td. He airmails it too high and too fast.
Why did he throw the ball to Andre on that screen and even make it catchable? Luckily Andre was smart enough to drop it. That was a brainfart to the nth degree for Schaub, and it's not all that surprising to me any more.

The end jumps offside, gotta free play and he just throws it out of bounds....

I can't think of another starting qb in the league that I wouldn't take over Schaub.

We have to protect him and limit the plays so much. It's like we're playing a 3rd string rookie out there.
Old 11-14-2010   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
would be nice if schaub could guide this team to a comfortable lead.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010   #17
panamamyers
Veteran

Schaub choked it away again.
Had ALL the momentum and then he overthrows a wide open Andre and drops a shotgun snap.
He just falls to pieces out there.
You could throw Matt Turk out there and he could have completed that pass to a wide open Andre on the sideline that last drive.
Horrible for a starting b in the NFL to blow that drive like that.
Old 11-14-2010   #18
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Turk at QB eh? Way to make a strong, well reasoned out post.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010   #19
panamamyers
Veteran

Schaub with another brain freeze.
No WAY he gets a field goal unit out there.
That was third down there guy.....

This guy has no situational awareness at all...
Old 11-14-2010   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that it's possible that one of the Schaub's biggest problems is that often he's only clutch. Given time he seems to get lost out there and he throws some of the weakest most off-target passes when he's given all day to pick a target.

Frankly I think Schaub is adequate but I also believe that the next head coach we get will need to start searching for Schaub's successor. I think we're better off than a number of teams but we're fooling ourselves if we don't think the QB position can be upgraded. Schaub's poor play this season has been the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about. That's not entirely true. Thunderkyss talks about it but it's mixed in with all that other stuff so nobody really engages him much about it. It's true though. Schaub has been pretty bad this year punctuated with stretches where he's lights out. His receivers have failed him repeatedly too which doesn't help.

Still, the position can be upgraded. Least of our worries at the moment though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read