Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2010   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hurry up offense with 5 minutes left?

Why do we get so desperate? We have plenty of time. We pass on every play, hurrying up to the line as if we have 1 minute to get it down the field.

What is wrong with these coaches? My god.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hurry up offense with 5 minutes left?

How about that QB Keeper that was rushed out there.
Old 11-07-2010   #3
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15229 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's thoughts during games:

"Time to panic! Time to panic! Time to panic!"
Old 11-07-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I agree with the decision to use a hurry-up offense early and it would have worked if we didn't have a hobbling AJ on the field. The QB keeper needed more decision-time though, no doubt.

AJ can't do crap in his current condition and we should have had somebody else on the field the whole game. I know he's a decoy, but you can't count on your opponent to just be stupid the whole game. Anyone can see that he's no good right now.

I complain about other stuff in the other threads.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Honestly, I agree with the decision to use a hurry-up offense early and it would have worked if we didn't have a hobbling AJ on the field. The QB keeper needed more decision-time though, no doubt.

AJ can't do crap in his current condition and we should have had somebody else on the field the whole game. I know he's a decoy, but you can't count on your opponent to just be stupid the whole game. Anyone can see that he's no good right now.

I complain about other stuff in the other threads.
I didn't understand it. It seems to me that your being very obvious about where your mindset is at when you hurry up like that. If your hurrying it up your likely to throw the ball on every down, as we did. Predictable.

The look on Rivers face on the sideline was like, "wtf are they doing? Ok go ahead and score and leave me 3 minutes, I will just score on your shitty defense again".
Old 11-07-2010   #7
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I didn't understand it. It seems to me that your being very obvious about where your mindset is at when you hurry up like that. If your hurrying it up your likely to throw the ball on every down, as we did. Predictable.

The look on Rivers face on the sideline was like, "wtf are they doing? Ok go ahead and score and leave me 3 minutes, I will just score on your shitty defense again".
The Chargers had just finished a very long, clock-eating drive and their defense was well-rested. You go out there and give them time to set up and look at your formations - which they had stuffed all half - and you're gonna go 3 and out. The no-huddle kept them on their heels and got us into scoring range with under 2:00 on the clock, where we were able to go across the middle of the field and short checkdowns. It WORKED. If AJ holds on to that ball, you have a minute and a half left and inside the 20.

And what are you complaining about again?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2010   #8
cain78749
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 cain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

I'm firmly on the Fire Kubiag train, but I disagree with this. Hurry up in this situation is absolutely the right move.

The hurry up means, if successful, likely getting into the red zone with ~2 min. left. At THAT point, you must chew up some clock, not before. At that point, also, you can make deliberate decisions right when the tougher decisions are to be made.

It also means, if unsuccessful, you can punt and have a very good chance of getting the ball back for a 2 min. drill to win. NFL offenses almost always go into a shell when up and less than 4 min. to play, and run the ball trying to churn up the clock.

There were other decisions that were head scratchers, but not this one.
cain78749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain78749 View Post
I'm firmly on the Fire Kubiag train, but I disagree with this. Hurry up in this situation is absolutely the right move.

The hurry up means, if successful, likely getting into the red zone with ~2 min. left. At THAT point, you must chew up some clock, not before. At that point, also, you can make deliberate decisions right when the tougher decisions are to be made.

It also means, if unsuccessful, you can punt and have a very good chance of getting the ball back for a 2 min. drill to win. NFL offenses almost always go into a shell when up and less than 4 min. to play, and run the ball trying to churn up the clock.

There were other decisions that were head scratchers, but not this one.
Well Seminole said it, but I'll say it again. Have you seen our defense? IMO there was no reason to go in full hurry-up mode with that kind of time on the clock.....especially with the risk of putting our defense in a position to have to hold them for the win. JMO though.

I switched to the Jets-Lions game and the Jets looked less in a hurry with no time outs and 1:40 left to kick a FG.
Old 11-07-2010   #10
cain78749
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 cain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Well Seminole said it, but I'll say it again. Have you seen our defense? IMO there was no reason to go in full hurry-up mode with that kind of time on the clock.....especially with the risk of putting our defense in a position to have to hold them for the win. JMO though.

I switched to the Jets-Lions game and the Jets looked less in a hurry with no time outs and 1:40 left to kick a FG.
Yes, our defense is historically bad. But in end-game NFL situations, it actually HAS been successful.

The hurry up in that situation gives us more plays, the possibility of a whole 'nother possession and thus a better chance to succeed.
cain78749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain78749 View Post
Yes, our defense is historically bad. But in end-game NFL situations, it actually HAS been successful.

The hurry up in that situation gives us more plays, the possibility of a whole 'nother possession and thus a better chance to succeed.
If, by "historically bad" you mean every game this year, we agree.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read