Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Looking at the problems with the Texans passing game.

Thought this might be of interest:

Interview with Pro Football Focus on the problems with the Texans passing game

This post came from something I was curious about. Why is it that the passing game looks so out of sorts this year? The above post is meant as a starting point for discussion, not something with a definite answer.
Old 11-04-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Looking at the problems with the Texans passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

This post came from something I was curious about. Why is it that the passing game looks so out of sorts this year? The above post is meant as a starting point for discussion, not something with a definite answer.
I didn't read the link, but I will say this. Kubes didn't outsmart the Colts by thinking: "Hey their secondary is depleted. Let's throw the ball"! Brilliant!! The strength of their pass "D" was still in tact. Freeney. Freeney is not good against the run, he's a great pass rusher, so why in the %$@#% would you think about torching their secondary??? Freeney and Mathis can't play the run. They have a depleted secondary.

Bottom line, Kubes outsmarted himself.

They were prime for the picking.

Quote:
John Winger: Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh?
Old 11-04-2010   #3
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephanie, your piece confirmed my suspicion-- We're suffering from coaching changes. I don't know what Dennison is doing wrong, but if I were to judge by Sam's analysis, I would say that he's trying to force the ball to Andre and not scripting the big plays discretely.

That might explain why Schaub has not had one successful big play on the infamous naked bootleg this season. Last year, that play was ominous and gut-sinking for opposing teams to watch unfold. This year, it hasn't been a threat. Schaub ends up running out of bounds half the time.

It'll remain a mystery what Knapp is doing, but one thing is certain to me: It doesn't look like Schaub will ever find as ideal a fit as Kyle Shanahan.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Stephanie, your piece confirmed my suspicion-- We're suffering from coaching changes. I don't know what Dennison is doing wrong, but if I were to judge by Sam's analysis, I would say that he's trying to force the ball to Andre and not scripting the big plays discretely.
Dennison doesn't force anything, Schaub is the one who decides where the ball is going. He has progressions and options, for some reason his choice to often is AJ.
Old 11-05-2010   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

That might explain why Schaub has not had one successful big play on the infamous naked bootleg this season. Last year, that play was ominous and gut-sinking for opposing teams to watch unfold. This year, it hasn't been a threat. Schaub ends up running out of bounds half the time.

It'll remain a mystery what Knapp is doing, but one thing is certain to me: It doesn't look like Schaub will ever find as ideal a fit as Kyle Shanahan.
Kyle Shanahan was obviously a very good fit for this offensive team, the play calling is LESS than spectacular this year and I think that is the main reason our play has dropped so much was the input from Kyle in the box to Gary.

Where are the following plays this year?

- WR screen
- Screen Pass
- Swing pass
- TE?? Hello?

We seem to want to force the naked bootleg which to me Matt looks really uncomfortable in his rollout for some reason.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #6
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I didn't read the link, but I will say this. Kubes didn't outsmart the Colts by thinking: "Hey their secondary is depleted. Let's throw the ball"! Brilliant!! The strength of their pass "D" was still in tact. Freeney. Freeney is not good against the run, he's a great pass rusher, so why in the %$@#% would you think about torching their secondary??? Freeney and Mathis can't play the run. They have a depleted secondary.

Just goes to show what a good pressure/blitz system can do for your bad secondary.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #7
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

I think the problem was Kubiak didnt plan on Matt throwing to the NFL's greatest receiver ever...the grass. I mean the grass wasnt making all sorts of circus catches it seemed like the ball was being thrown right at it. the grass hadnt see that much action since it was planted..

and that pic 6 really pissed the green grass off...the blue grass had all the fun.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As discussed on other threads it is a combination of things. Schaub has not been as accurate. When the Oline breaks down and Carr er Schaub gets plastered, he then hurries the next pass. Walter has been basically ignored. JJ is drop city despite my optimistic prediction he would play like a pro bowl candidate. Schaub or Kubes refuses to attempt draw plays and as someone else mentioned the play action is used much less. I think we are lucky to be 4-3.
Old 11-05-2010   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Didnt read the article .... but there is nothing wrong with the Texans passing game other than the fact that they would throw the ball against a team that they ran the ball for 7+ yards a carry against.

Run the ****in ball down their throats till they stop it.

Then run it some more.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Just goes to show what a good pressure/blitz system can do for your bad secondary.
Agreed. Another thing I've noticed about Schaub's pass pro is the pocket is always compressed with all sides closing in @ an alarming rate. other teams pass pro is much cleaner, actually drive blocking pass rushers not just absorbing impact & driven back into the QB's body parts.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Talent, but stupid coaching.
Old 11-05-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the passing game is ok.

I don't think Kubes has always called in the best plays for the situation we are in. Also all the receivers not named AJ have underperformed IMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

schaub is having a suck ass year. all there is to it. i dont think he can handle the pressure of expectations. when the texans are all but eliminated from playoff talk he will go off cause the expectations are gone. i wonder how many dropped passes were due to wr drops vs bad placement. seems like alot of balls are behind receivers these days. remember that zona game last year when he hurried it and put the pass to high. seems like he does that all the time now. too bad we dont have a capable backup.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #14
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

We've never drafted a QB with a "big time" mentality, and now
we're seeing the apex of a "good backup / turned starter." Kubiak
thought Schaub was the second coming of Steve Young, and that
decision is also one of his many failures. Schaub is not a natural leader.
It took almost half of 2008, before the team bought into Schaub.

Fortunately, he hasn't yet returned to his status of "Ben Taub Schaub."
These next 4 games are gonna be BRUTAL.
Old 11-06-2010   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
We've never drafted a QB with a "big time" mentality, and now
we're seeing the apex of a "good backup / turned starter." Kubiak
thought Schaub was the second coming of Steve Young, and that
decision is also one of his many failures. Schaub is not a natural leader.
It took almost half of 2008, before the team bought into Schaub.

Fortunately, he hasn't yet returned to his status of "Ben Taub Schaub."
These next 4 games are gonna be BRUTAL.
he's definitely not looking great, but i'd put it more on playcalling than schaub, similarly with the defense. we've dumbed down our calls so much that there's absolutely zero secret to what we're going to do. the most advanced play we had against the colts was a "rub" on third and short. the "denny's menu" only appears to have 10 total plays on it - if that.

what happened to the advanced routes we used to run? i loved seeing david anderson and JJ on the field because we used to run complex combinations to free them up (and allow daniels to play zone buster). instead of opening the offense up, we keep getting shorter and shorter ... matt's strength is being accurate 15-20yds down the field but we're being relegated to "dump or bomb". jacoby's route running appears to be a problem as well, matt's not that far off to everyone else so i have to assume it's jacoby. when we run, it's the same 2 or 3 plays out of our only formation with daniels motioning in from an outside WR position.

same on defense. sure against the colts we're not going to fool manning, so our base 425 nickel all game is our best bet, but we do absolutely nothing creative defensively. instead of using aggression to hide our faults, we keep getting more and more simple. steve young said "they are SO VANILLA! i'd love to play against this defense every game". on both sides of the ball we really need to open it up.
Old 11-06-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I think that was an excellent read, thank you. It just so happens to share some of the thoughts I've had.

More Jacoby Jones is not helping the offense, bring David Anderson back.

It's not the pressure..... he's playing poorly before there is any pressure.

We're getting less first downs, which means the other team has more offensive opportunities.... if we were playing as well as we were last year defensively we will naturally give up more yards & points (ask DexmanC our defense wasn't really much better than what we're seeing this year, we were just on the field less).

there's definitely something wrong with the passing game.

I've seen the play calls work perfectly, using the run to set up the play action, defense biting hard, several open targets.... & he's throwing to the wrong one.... or he's putting it in the dirt.

It's like he's scared to be successful, like he's out thinking himself..... like we may be seeing Matt Lienart before the season is over.
Old 11-06-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Let me add one more thing. If we can get Schaub to play the way he did last year, & we have a true option to the run game... we'll run the table.

As far as the "back up QB turned starter syndrome" thing.... Matt has been the same since he's got here. Accurate, smart, tough (mentally), highly affective. If not for injury, he would have thrown for 4000 yards every year he's been here, if not very close.
Old 11-06-2010   #18
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Didnt read the article .... but there is nothing wrong with the Texans passing game other than the fact that they would throw the ball against a team that they ran the ball for 7+ yards a carry against.

Run the ****in ball down their throats till they stop it.

Then run it some more.
Your sig.... say's it all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read