Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How well have the Texans played?
They've played extremely well against a tough schedule 1 1.03%
They've been ok. They will get better. 7 7.22%
They've been up and down. Don't know which team is showing up. 59 60.82%
This team has not played well, but should get better. 9 9.28%
This team is lucky to have a winning record. They suck 14 14.43%
Fire Kubiak. 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How well have the Texans really played this season?

Taking all things into account is this really an improved team from the last few years?

This is just how I remember the games so far.

1) In the first game against the Colts the first half was pretty even. Second half, we came out and pounded them with the run. We won that game because of the running game. Nothing else really contributed. Although the defense got after Manning a bit, it didn't really affect their offensive output. They still put up big time yardage and points.

2) Second game. We played poorly. I still don't know how we pulled that one out. A great performance by some individual players. Blocked FG by Pollard. Great throws by Matt...Some great runs after the catch by Foster. Great end of the game heroics by the offense. I would like to give credit to the defense in the end, but I don't know how much of that was just the Redskins not performing as they had been all game long. They do get credit for holding them though. Kubes did a good job on the first FG that didn't count. Had the kicker just hit the next kick as he did the first one and this season could be a lot different. But he didn't. Offense took advantage. Rackers sealed the deal. A win is a win....right?

3) Week 3. A pretty pathetic showing all around. Just a downright ugly game. The cowboys may have had a little extra pep in their step, but our guys were on the opposite end of the spectrum. I really can't find any positives about this game. Pretty sad since this is a team that hasn't won another game yet.

4)
Week 4. The Raiders. Foster sits early, but Ward fills in nicely. Passing game was nothing extra special, but they got the job done. Defense did o.k. Arian comes in halfway through the second qtr and goes off. Once again the running game is what really took over this game. AJ didn't play, but if this team is as really deep at the WR position as we all think they are, and if our team is truly an elite passing team I don't think that should affect us a whole lot. We still had all of our TE's (which we failed to really utilize). A win is a win, but I would have liked to see us really put them away. We didn't. Late in that game they still had a chance to tie it. Anyways, glad we won...Win is a win...I know...But dammit, convince me that you are a legit play-off, title contender...

5)
Week 5. NY. See Cowboys.

6) Week 6. Similar to the Skins game. Glad as hell we won it, but I think that if you are a team that is really a contender, these are the kinds of games that you should either come out and own, or at least be competitive the whole way through. Our guys made a lot of good plays, but I can't tell if the comeback was due to us tremendously stepping up, or if the opposition starting playing a bit worse/conservative. Probably was a combo of the two. I'm happy any time we can get a win, but I would just like not have to have a heart attack in the process.

7) Bye.

8) Week 7. Colts. Once again the team looked like the little brother to the opposition. Poor coaching and bad play calling were again topics of discussion. I do not care about the fact that the Colts were injured. That meant little to me. I don't think that should have given us some huge edge...Not when Manning is their QB...He is the catalyst and he makes their world go round. I thought d played well enough to win this game. I thought the offense could have executed better, but I think the Kubiak could have relieved some pressure on them with better play calls.

So, back to the original question...How well have they played this season, and have they really shown that they are going to/have taken the next step to become a legit contender year in and year out?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: How well have the Texans really played this season?

game 1 - A (B 1st half, A+ 2nd half) - W vs. Colts
game 2 - B+ (D- 1st half, A+ 2nd half) W vs. Redskins
game 3 - F (D 1st half, F 2nd half) L vs. Cowboys
game 4 - B (C+ 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Raiders
game 5 - F (F 1st half, D- 2nd half) L vs. Giants
game 6 - B (D 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Chiefs
game 7 - D- (F 1st half, C- 2nd half) L vs. Colts

73/100 = C
Sound about right? I really want to go higher on the 2nd halves of OAK and KC.
Old 11-04-2010   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
game 1 - A (B 1st half, A+ 2nd half) - W vs. Colts
game 2 - B+ (D- 1st half, A+ 2nd half) W vs. Redskins
game 3 - F (D 1st half, F 2nd half) L vs. Cowboys
game 4 - B (C+ 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Raiders
game 5 - F (F 1st half, D- 2nd half) L vs. Giants
game 6 - B (D 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Chiefs
game 7 - D- (F 1st half, C- 2nd half) L vs. Colts

Sound about right? I really want to go higher on the 2nd halves of OAK and KC.

Lots of F's and D's in there...
Old 11-04-2010   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No shit bruh.
Old 11-04-2010   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Its real simple, we barely beat some weak teams and get our ass handed to us by stronger teams. The only exception to this has been the first Colts game, but judging from our second Colts game, the rule stands. We suck.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
F' Dis $h...
Old 11-04-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Up to this point, I would say that they haven't played well...

I will remain optimistic for no other reason but for the simple fact that there are a lot more games left.

That said, I am really dissapointed with how this team has progressed.
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Houston Jeckel and Hydes continue to live up to their name.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I said we've been ok, will get better. 4-3 is an ok record, it is tough for anyone to argue against that. We are still in a strong position going forward from here, so my hopes are not lost for this season. I do believe that we are going to get better, but with our tougher schedule that may not result in any more wins. We are going to have to play considerably better to get into playoffs.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #10
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans (under Kubiak) are who they've always been.

They beat bad teams.

They compete with average teams / good teams resting starters.

They get ROLLED by good teams who need wins.

The Texans are not able to hide their true identity this season, because
their schedule is back-loaded with the teams they ALWAYS get ROLLED
by. No excuses in 2010. Same show, but no way to hide the foolishness.

Their margin-for-error ended at Indy by going 4-3. The Texans are
that self-agrandizing squad we saw the week leading up to the Giants
game. Dunta Robinson's statement to the press, is highly indicative
of the Texans' current culture:

"...that's what we're here for. It's to get paid."
Old 11-04-2010   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: How well have the Texans really played this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Its real simple, we barely beat some weak teams and get our ass handed to us by stronger teams. The only exception to this has been the first Colts game, but judging from our second Colts game, the rule stands. We suck.
Ever since DexmanC posted Kubiak's records against AFC South and winnign teams I have cried myself to sleep each night.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #12
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Which teams are weak you speak of?

The 5-2 Chiefs?
The 5-2 Colts?
The 4-4 Redskins?
The 4-4 Raiders?

Seems to me that not one team we beat has a losing record, but I am sure "it was all luck" and the Kubiak haters will have some other excuse.

Facts are facts people, as Dex put Kubiak has been awful in past years against winning teams but this year has been a little different so far and I still have high expectations.

Roast on...
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Which teams are weak you speak of?

The 5-2 Chiefs?
The 5-2 Colts?
The 4-4 Redskins?
The 4-4 Raiders?

Seems to me that not one team we beat has a losing record, but I am sure "it was all luck!"
don't forget the Cowboys would still be winless if not for the Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The record 4-3 is not my focus but rather how we played each game. We have given up too many first halves of games. Co-ordinators or HC should be able to adjust within a few plays not wait until half time. Most posters agreed last season that we were not prepared for our first game against NY Jets. Well, imo we came out of BYE week unprepared for Colts. I got the impression Kubiak was trying to out smart the Colts rather than out play them as he did game one.
Old 11-04-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The record 4-3 is not my focus but rather how we played each game. We have given up too many first halves of games. Co-ordinators or HC should be able to adjust within a few plays not wait until half time. Most posters agreed last season that we were not prepared for our first game against NY Jets. Well, imo we came out of BYE week unprepared for Colts. I got the impression Kubiak was trying to out smart the Colts rather than out play them as he did game one.

That was my take on the Colts game as well.
Old 11-04-2010   #16
ThaShark316

Quote:
Agreed on the last sentence. Didn't work, and it bit us in the ass.
Old 11-04-2010   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wished I was not so unsure about Chargers. Hopefully they will continue to give the game away. If we can stay close, say 21 points, we should beat them in second half after adjusting at half time of course. My first play of game would be to fake to Foster look at AJ and then throw to Walter. Of course Schaub would have to do that within the 3 seconds our Oline will give him.
Old 11-04-2010   #18
ThaShark316

Quote:
I just wished I was not so unsure about Chargers. Hopefully they will continue to give the game away. If we can stay close, say 21 points, we should beat them in second half after adjusting at half time of course. My first play of game would be to fake to Foster look at AJ and then throw to Walter. Of course Schaub would have to do that within the 3 seconds our Oline will give him.
We need a Seahawks game bad.

Those just don't grow on trees, sure, but damn we need one. They gotta go get it though. Not going to fall in their laps.
Old 11-04-2010   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

lucky/suck. Waiting to be proven wrong and really, really want to be.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
We need a Seahawks game bad.

Those just don't grow on trees, sure, but damn we need one. They gotta go get it though. Not going to fall in their laps.
Yeah those kind of wins pump up the record but do not comfort fans that team is playing better. I just can not understand how this roster does so poorly overall. We have a pro bowl QB, best WR in NFL, 2nd leading rusher in NFL, two DROYs in a row and very good TEs. When you add injuries, suspensions and some "off play" this season to the poor line play and young secondary, I guess we get what we see.

Wonder what McNair is thinking?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read