Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default There are many awful NFL rules. The sliding one might be worst.

Quote:
NFL defenders have it tough. Get a good rush on the quarterback and all he has to do is get out of the pocket to throw the ball away. Try to make a hard hit on a player, get fined and publicly reprimanded by Roger Goodell and his front office henchmen. Roll into the quarterback on an active play, get a 15-yard penalty.

All of these rules are fine; quarterbacks should be protected and safe play should be of the utmost concern. But sometimes the NFL goes too far in babying the signal callers, as evidenced by the misguided, ill-conceived sliding rule.

The call was overturned because Manning didn't hit the ground until the 43-yard line. The awkward fall notwithstanding, it was a heady play by Peyton. He began his slide early, fell late and got the first down with ease. (The official should have known he was wrong the instant the play was over. Peyton Manning(notes) never makes a mistake like sliding too early.)

But here's the problem: Though the slide and the eventual spot were within the rules, they shouldn't have been. Manning began his slide well before he hit the ground. Because of the NFL's wording of the sliding rule, smart quarterbacks like him can milk a few extra yards out of the rule without any consequence.

Take a look at this picture of the play:

According to the NFL rulebook, a quarterback (or any ball carrier) can slide feet first to prevent a hit. When they do so, the ball will be considered dead when the player hits the ground.

Here's an example from Monday night's game between the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans

Manning began his slide well before getting the first down. By rule, he's still a live ball carrier because he hasn't hit the ground yet. But if Bernard Pollard(notes) (the flash in white on the left) had been closer and hit Manning during the beginning of the slide, you can be assured he would have earned a 15-yard penalty for his actions. Hit a quarterback in the midst of the fall to the ground and it will draw a flag every time.

So, basically, a quarterback is protected from the instant he begins his slide to the moment he touches the ground. For Manning on this particular play, that covered 2 yards. Two yards in which he couldn't be hit, but was free to gain more yards.

[Related: Former NFL player elected to Congress]

It's time to change the rule. A quarterback should be allowed to slide, but the ball should be spotted at the point where the quarterback began the sliding motion. In the case of the play above, that would be the original, challenged spot of the ball.

Protect the quarterbacks. Don't give them free yards in the process.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-282167
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #2
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: There are many awful NFL rules. The sliding one might be worst.

When I was watching the game, I actually assumed that the play is dead as soon as the slide begins, since hitting the QB is off-limits. That just made sense to me at the time. I was quite surprised when the spot was overturned.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

So....no more sliding. Cut out wordage and the lawyering of rules. You want to be down without taking a hit? Take a knee. Hard to get the spot of a kneel wrong. You want health, take a knee and give up the chance at a few more yards. You want glory, you want that first down, take your medicine like a big boy.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #4
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, here's a thought... what exactly constitutes a "sliding motion"? At what point does the slide begin? Would be legal, for instance, to jump first?

1. Sign a world class long-jumper as a free agent.
2. Promote him to starting QB.
3. Put him in shotgun formation, have him run at the LoS, and "jump slide" every play.
4a. Gain at least 7 yards per carry.
4b. Someone touches him in mid-air, 15-yard penalty.
5. ???
6. Profit!!!
Old 11-03-2010   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude, every f'ing post you make is funnier than the previous.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #6
SrslySirius
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Honestly, I'm only half joking this time. Does anyone have front office connections? Let's do this.
Old 11-04-2010   #7
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
no lie. can you subscribe to a user? I don't want to miss a post.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
Hey, here's a thought... what exactly constitutes a "sliding motion"? At what point does the slide begin? Would be legal, for instance, to jump first?

1. Sign a world class long-jumper as a free agent.
2. Promote him to starting QB.
3. Put him in shotgun formation, have him run at the LoS, and "jump slide" every play.
4a. Gain at least 7 yards per carry.
4b. Someone touches him in mid-air, 15-yard penalty.
5. ???
6. Profit!!!
now that's just damn funny. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can totally see the ridiculouslness of this rule. Thats insane.

On this particular play, however, I dont think it would made a difference. You can see from the picture that there wasn't a single one of our players within a huge distance from him. He could have easily gotten another yard and then slid with no ill effects
Old 11-04-2010   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I can totally see the ridiculouslness of this rule. Thats insane.

On this particular play, however, I dont think it would made a difference. You can see from the picture that there wasn't a single one of our players within a huge distance from him. He could have easily gotten another yard and then slid with no ill effects
BUT he didn't.
Old 11-04-2010   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
When I was watching the game, I actually assumed that the play is dead as soon as the slide begins, since hitting the QB is off-limits. That just made sense to me at the time. I was quite surprised when the spot was overturned.
I could have sworn that was the rule! I was yelling at the TV and telling my wife it's where the slide starts. Did they change the rule or am I hallucinating altogether?
Old 11-04-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I could have sworn that was the rule! I was yelling at the TV and telling my wife it's where the slide starts. Did they change the rule or am I hallucinating altogether?
they must have... Or changed it for Manning only. Even the announcer said it was where he started the slide. And it was clear from the marks on the turf where he started. A yard & 1/2 back from where they ruled it.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the same thing as y'all when they challenged the calling. I think it's pure BS that a QB can start to act like he's going to slide, but then milk it for another couple of yards without fear of getting hit. I think this rule does more to reinforce the 'skirts' perspective than cracking down on helmet-to-helmet hits. I've never liked this rule.
Old 11-05-2010   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Frankly, I think they should have to just stop and fall down. You can't stop soon enough, you should've stopped sooner. Defender has a right to hit you if you are making forward progress. End of story.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was more pissed off that possibly the slowest QB in all of football ran for like 12 yards on us. Oh btw Matt, you might want to see what Manning did. It was a 3rd down play and he did what he had to do to keep the offense on the field. He doesn't do it all the time, just when the defense gives him that and when it's necessary to keep his offense on the field.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Texan fan, my least favorite NFL rule is the one that seem to lock out 8-8 teams from the playoffs in favor of 11 and 12 win teams every year. ABSURD!
Old 11-05-2010   #17
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
As a Texan fan, my least favorite NFL rule is the one that seem to lock out 8-8 teams from the playoffs in favor of 11 and 12 win teams every year. ABSURD!
if the Texans don't start playing better...you might not have to worry about an 8-8 team getting locked out of the play-offs this year.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #18
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Pollard should have just come up and punched Manning in the crotch at the end of the play. That alone would have won us the game. So he gets suspended. He's doing a lot more with that crotch punch than he is on the field ...
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think Pollard should have just come up and punched Manning in the crotch at the end of the play. That alone would have won us the game. So he gets suspended. He's doing a lot more with that crotch punch than he is on the field ...
Manning getting knocked out against us and Pollard being suspended for a game?...

wow, that sounds like 2 wins for us! good thinking.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read