Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2010   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will the Texans EVER make a splash move?

There are a ton of things that aggravate me right now about our Texans. The shaky play of Matt Schaub. The disappearance of Kevin Walter and Joel Dressen. Not designing more plays for OD. Lack of playing time for guys like Steve Slaton, David Anderson, and James Casey. Kubiak's dimwitted play-calling. Mario's ineffectiveness. Pollards covering and tackling. Troy Nolan's benching. Bush's lack of aggressiveness. Waiving Jeremiah Johnson. And on, and on, and on...

Yet, in the wake of the hated Titans signing Randy Moss to go along with Kenny Britt, Chris Johnson, Bo Scaife, VY, and Nate Washington, it hit me that the Texans would have never even considered making a splash move like this. Vincent Jackson was there for the taking and the Texans brass never even considered it. Antonio Cromartie would look damn good in a Texans uniform right about now. Albert Haynesworth, Shawne Merrimen, etc. And just because these guys aren't what you consider role models, Bob McNair won't even consider them. It's maddening. Imagine an offense with Dre on one side and Vincent Jackson on the other, even its just for one year! This organization is too damn conservative and afraid to take any risks, unlike the Titans and Bills, and I'm about sick of it!
Old 11-03-2010   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the Texans EVER make a splash move?

I'm there with ya on most of those, but Randy Moss is a cancer who doesn't respect the game or his teammates. I wish nobody woulda claimed him.
Old 11-03-2010   #3
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Don't know why you are upset. WE did bring someone up from the practice squad!!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I'm there with ya on most of those, but Randy Moss is a cancer who doesn't respect the game or his teammates. I wish nobody woulda claimed him.
We're in agreement on Moss, but the gist of my agrument is that in the short-term he makes them a more lethal offense. It's a low-risk, high-reward move because they'll only have him for 9 games at best. I'm not saying I would want Moss as a Texan, but I wouldn't necessarily have been against it either. My problem is that the Texans FO wouldn't even have given such a move any consideration and a division rival who our 32nd ranked pass defense has to face twice would.
Old 11-03-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
There are a ton of things that aggravate me right now about our Texans. The shaky play of Matt Schaub. The disappearance of Kevin Walter and Joel Dressen. Not designing more plays for OD. Lack of playing time for guys like Steve Slaton, David Anderson, and James Casey. Kubiak's dimwitted play-calling. Mario's ineffectiveness. Pollards covering and tackling. Troy Nolan's benching. Bush's lack of aggressiveness. Waiving Jeremiah Johnson. And on, and on, and on...

Yet, in the wake of the hated Titans signing Randy Moss to go along with Kenny Britt, Chris Johnson, Bo Scaife, VY, and Nate Washington, it hit me that the Texans would have never even considered making a splash move like this. Vincent Jackson was there for the taking and the Texans brass never even considered it. Antonio Cromartie would look damn good in a Texans uniform right about now. Albert Haynesworth, Shawne Merrimen, etc. And just because these guys aren't what you consider role models, Bob McNair won't even consider them. It's maddening. Imagine an offense with Dre on one side and Vincent Jackson on the other, even its just for one year! This organization is too damn conservative and afraid to take any risks, unlike the Titans and Bills, and I'm about sick of it!
And you know this how? Are you a member of the front office? Maybe you have an insider giving you this info?

I'm thinking you have no more clue than the rest of us. Yeah, and the Bills are doing great as a franchise, aren't they?
Old 11-03-2010   #6
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And you know this how? Are you a member of the front office? Maybe you have an insider giving you this info?

I'm thinking you have no more clue than the rest of us. Yeah, and the Bills are doing great as a franchise, aren't they?
When have the texans gone after a big time player? answer is never.

yes antonio smith was a nice name, but he hasn't been to any pro bowls and outside texans fans i don't know if anyone has even heard his name.

and don't say leigh bodden
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I wish the Texans would have claimed him even if they had no intention of playing him , just keep him inactive ..... for nothing else other than to keep him away from a rival ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
yes antonio smith was a nice name, but he hasn't been to any pro bowls and outside texans fans i don't know if anyone has even heard his name.

If you don't think the Smith signing was good, that's ok. But he was one of the top free agents available at the time. And your comment about no one knowing his name is ludicrous. But that is not the point I was making. How do you, or anyone not a part of the FO really know what they tried or didn't try? They may have had talks with a lot of people, but couldn't work it out. Or, maybe they haven't. Point is, we just don't know.

Or, maybe you take John McLame's word as gospel?
Old 11-03-2010   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a little off topic, but your first paragraph had me thinking. I'm concerned that so many of our players have taken such huge steps backward.

Schaub, Walter, D.Brown, Winston, Wilson, Pollard, Diles, Cushing, Quin, and maybe to a lesser extend OD, but I don't think that's on him as much as the regression of the O-line and resulting panicked look on Schaub's face.

Those players are what we were planning to build a championship on. They were the reason so many of us were excited about this team's future. Yet here we are 7 games in and the players you expect to take you to the promised land are playing the worst football of their career.

I know a lot of fans are angry at Kubiak right now, and maybe they're right, but this team would be 7-0 right now if all of those guys were playing like they did last season.

As for your intended topic: No I don't think the Texans under Rick Smith will ever make a play for a big name player in their prime. He wants to be the guy who finds gems in unexpected places instead of just forking over the money to buy a flawless diamond. I think we need an experienced guy in the front office who knows not just how to evaluate talent, but how to acquire it and come out ahead in the negotiations.

Rick Smith is never going to be that guy and so I think we need to make a move.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah Bob McNair will never go against conventional wisdom.

Signed,

Mario Williams
Old 11-03-2010   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

When they get a "leader of men" coach in here, then we'll see some
real vets vying for an opportunity in Houston. Harbaugh had no
problem in Baltimore, Ryan had no problem in New York, Dungy had
no problem in Indy or Tampa, Belichick has no problem in New England.

We have a weak-ass coach, thus the character of the team isn't ready
for a vet hungry to win like Moss.
Old 11-03-2010   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

I know a lot of fans are angry at Kubiak right now, and maybe they're right, but this team would be 6-0 right now if all of those guys were playing like they did last season.
Wait until this time next season with another year of Kubes & Company coaching behind them. It won't be pretty.
Old 11-03-2010   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The splashes the Texans have been making lately have been trying to stay afloat in the deep end of the pool.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The splashes the Texans have been making lately have been trying to stay afloat in the deep end of the pool.
So you're saying they just need some floatees and everything will be cool?

Unfortunately we're a few weeks late to pick some up.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #15
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post

Bob is partly to blame but so is the coaching staff and GM.

If Rick and Gary would lobby for these players also, it might make Bob take the risk on on some of these guys. Rick and Gary seemed content with what they have though.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah Bob McNair will never go against conventional wisdom.

Signed,

Mario Williams
I thought I was a pretty good free agent signing!

Signed,

Antonio Smith
Old 11-03-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I thought I was a pretty good free agent signing!

Signed,

Antonio Smith
Au contraire, haven't you heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post

Old 11-03-2010   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I wish the Texans would have claimed him even if they had no intention of playing him , just keep him inactive ..... for nothing else other than to keep him away from a rival ...
Stupid suggestion. Way pay him the remainder of this seasons salary to have him sit and do nothing.

If he had cleared waivers Minnesotta would of paid his salary, as it is the Titans will need to pay the man.
Old 11-03-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Au contraire, haven't you heard?

Right!!
Old 11-03-2010   #20
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
When they get a "leader of men" coach in here, then we'll see some
real vets vying for an opportunity in Houston. Harbaugh had no
problem in Baltimore, Ryan had no problem in New York, Dungy had
no problem in Indy or Tampa, Belichick has no problem in New England.

We have a weak-ass coach, thus the character of the team isn't ready
for a vet hungry to win like Moss.
I know people are upset with the HC. I am too.

But blaming FA signings solely on the HC rather than the GM or the owner is silly.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read