Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2010   #1
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default To The Kubiak Supporters Who Love Numbers So Much...

Kubiak's Record against teams with winning records: 8-22

Kubiak's Record against the AFC South: 8-18

Both sets of numbers indicate Kubiak to be a total failure as a head coach;
however, they are equally important when determining playoff berths.

This regime has been a colossal failure so far, and the NFL didn't schedule
enough "little sisters of the poor" to hide it in 2010. This is a 6-10, 5-11 type
season, now that there are no ways to "pad the stats."

The Colts game was illustrative of the causes of those records, and the rest of
our opponents are JUST the type of teams the Texans rarely (if ever) beat.
Old 11-03-2010   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: To The Kubiak Supporters Who Love Numbers So Much...

Well at least Kubiak "job-saving" mode will begin next week if we lose to the Chargers...he usually seems to coach well when he has to.
Old 11-03-2010   #3
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not in the Fire Kubiak club yet as proven by my statements on here.

I am also not in the "all is well" camp either as I have been one of the harshest critics of this team so far this year. (Had to put the disclaimer out there )

I will say though that it is somewhat funny that we still have a winning record but are ready to blow it up. I understand why though, this defense blows (Indy game was not that bad TK I know that, but rest of games have been horrid on D) and the playcalling/scheming and just everything offensively for Indy blew burro juevos.

It just sux that we have a 4-3 team but we know that chances are it's not gonna last and we need to start getting ready to rebuild....

This must be what being a Philadelphia area fan is like....... I refuse to throw batteries damnit!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, damning. Winning Monday would have gone a long way towards a culture change. He is a ****ing loser. This is from a guy who has been a big supporter.
Old 11-03-2010   #5
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 79189 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
I will say though that it is somewhat funny that we still have a winning record but are ready to blow it up.
I don't think anything needs to be "blown up". This team does not need to be rebuilt. It just needs someone that can get the most out of all the talent here (tweak some things) and bring in a winning/tougher attitude.

I think a good coach can come here and immediately take this team to the playoffs the first season. That is why it was rumored that Cowher would be interested in this job because of the talent that he would have to work with. He felt he could win instantly without being involved in a rebuild project.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I don't think anything needs to be "blown up". This team does not need to be rebuilt. It just needs someone that can get the most out of all the talent here (tweak some things) and bring in a winning/tougher attitude.

I think a good coach can come here and immediately take this team to the playoffs the first season. That is why it was rumored that Cowher would be interested in this job because of the talent that he would have to work with. He felt he could win instantly without being involved in a rebuild project.
This is my first time to jump on the Cowher wagon

one: will improve the defense
two: will run the ball more

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There would be a change over on D (doesn't Cowher like to run the 3-4?) If so that is not immediate. Even with a 4-3, if he sticks to that, the guys on D would have to actually, you know, learn how to ACTUALLY play D in a 4-3 = time

The o-line is not what he would want for a power run game IMO. I think the trenches and overall Defensive scheme would take a little time. So, no, I'm not implying a 2005-esque rebuild or an Astros type "blow up" but something that I would still see as not immediate. However, they will probably at least play like they don't wear Junior XSm jock straps........

Also, overall I see him as out the door and will support that when the time comes (anything less than 10 wins in my mind) but I wanna give it the rest of the season before I sport the soap. But as I said in that original post, I'm definitely not on the "supporting Kubiak" side right now.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2010   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's where I'm coming from. Kubiak and Smith have put together a nice team. We're a few pieces shy of the whole package but we've got talent here and some depth. What we don't have is coaching that can reach these players. They may like Gary and want to win for him but they clearly aren't getting whatever it takes to make them execute on game day. That they can look good at times on both sides of the ball says to me that they're talented and that the systems they are running are not completely without merit.

They're just losing against good teams despite that fact.
Old 11-03-2010   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That is just terrible. Awful awful awful.

With that said, I did some of my own calculations just for the hell of it. And because I am a Kubiak supporter that loves stats. lol

Kubiak against Teams with Winning Records:
2006-2009 (full seasons only): 8-18 (31% winning pct)
2006 to date: 10-22 (31%)
2006: 1-5 (16.67%)
2007: 2-7 (22%)
2008: 3-6 (33%)
2009: 2-4 (33%)
2010: 2-2 (50%)

Interestingly enough, we have witnessed progress each season.

Next I took out the Texans games from our opponents W/L column to see if we had any significant effect on their overall outcome.

Kubiak against Teams with Winning Records (excl. Texans games):
2006-2009 (full seasons only): 11-22 (33% winning pct)
2006 to date: 15-24 (38%)
2006: 3-5 (37%)
2007: 2-7 (22%)
2008: 3-6 (33%)
2009: 3-4 (43%)
2010: 4-2 (66%)
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There would be a change over on D (doesn't Cowher like to run the 3-4?) If so that is not immediate. Even with a 4-3, if he sticks to that, the guys on D would have to actually, you know, learn how to ACTUALLY play D in a 4-3 = time

The o-line is not what he would want for a power run game IMO. I think the trenches and overall Defensive scheme would take a little time. So, no, I'm not implying a 2005-esque rebuild or an Astros type "blow up" but something that I would still see as not immediate. However, they will probably at least play like they don't wear Junior XSm jock straps........

Also, overall I see him as out the door and will support that when the time comes (anything less than 10 wins in my mind) but I wanna give it the rest of the season before I sport the soap. But as I said in that original post, I'm definitely not on the "supporting Kubiak" side right now.
You're worried that implementing a 3-4 might make us...worse than 32nd ranked?

A complete overhaul of our defense could not make them any worse than they are at this point, and I'd argue that someone like Cowher would make them better just by instilling the right attitude and attention to fundamentals.

I'm not a Kubiak fan, but I don't hate the guy. I don't think he's cut out for this head coaching job, but that being said, he's our coach so let's see how the rest of this 4-3 season plays out. If we should beat the Chargers, we'd be 5-3 and I'm sure every Texans fan would have been happy with that record at the start of the season. And Kubiak's teams have traditionally finished the season strong, so there is still hope that this season is successful.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel at this point, but that doesn't mean I'm wearing blinders, either. I'll call it like I see it, praise where/when it's due, and criticize when/where, as well.
Old 11-03-2010   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

A complete overhaul of our defense could not make them any worse than they are at this point, and I'd argue that someone like Cowher would make them better just by instilling the right attitude and attention to fundamentals.

I'm not a Kubiak fan, but I don't hate the guy. I don't think he's cut out for this head coaching job, but that being said, he's our coach so let's see how the rest of this 4-3 season plays out. If we should beat the Chargers, we'd be 5-3 and I'm sure every Texans fan would have been happy with that record at the start of the season. And Kubiak's teams have traditionally finished the season strong, so there is still hope that this season is successful.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel at this point, but that doesn't mean I'm wearing blinders, either. I'll call it like I see it, praise where/when it's due, and criticize when/where, as well.
Maybe Ole Miss Numbers can crunch that, but my observation tells me
the last 4 games of the Texans' "strong finishes" are smoke-n-mirrors.

They were all against struggling teams, or teams that had clinched playoff
berths, and were resting key players. There was no sense of urgency for
the Texans' opponents, thus it was all something the Texans' Marketing
Department continually propagates ast "progress." I call "BULL$lksjsldasd;"
Old 11-03-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better, DB. I've never been a fan of whacking a coach during the season. I'm severely disappointed in his coaching thus far, but willing to see how this season pays itself out.
Old 11-03-2010   #13
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I wonder how many of those teams with winning records are teams that play smash mouth football as opposed to Kubiak's finesse play?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True. The 3-4 defense that went 2-14 was ranked 31st!!

Old 11-03-2010   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. Still a lot of football left and I am not calling for any heads just yet. I am not a bucket of sunshine either. Nothing will happen until the offseason anyway. We need to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Unfortunately I think we go some around 8-8......again.
Old 11-03-2010   #16
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

patience soapers....patience if Kubiak;s led team doesnt make the playoffs then you have a bone to pick until then...patience
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
patience soapers....patience if Kubiak;s led team doesnt make the playoffs then you have a bone to pick until then...patience
We have a bone to pick now, because of what we see on the field.
The way they are playing is good enough to beat bad-to-average teams,
but against the gauntlet of championship contenders we face, it'll get
us slaughtered.

The Texans didn't lose a "what if" game. They played EXACTLY as they
had in SIX of SEVEN games, and against the playoff teams, it'll get
ya smashed. The defense is a sieve, and the offense folds when hit
hard. We've got plenty bones to pick, right now.
Old 11-03-2010   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not ready to throw in the towel. But I'm reserving judgement for the next few games. Right now it's not loooking good.

I cant belive that some of the MB members dont believe that a defense that's ranked 32 are fretting over how this defense will play if it's rebuilt by a guy like Cowher.

It's got to look better than the last place defense that is currently in place.

My biggest problem with the Smithiak regime is they aren't tough enough in the trenches. Until this gets corrected this will continue to be a 6-10,10-6 team with no chance of making noise in the playoffs. If they ever get there.

They need to get tougher wether it be under Smithiak or whoever the new regime is.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #19
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm not ready to throw in the towel. But I'm reserving judgement for the next few games. Right now it's not loooking good.

I cant belive that some of the MB members dont believe that a defense that's ranked 32 are fretting over how this defense will play if it's rebuilt by a guy like Cowher.

It's got to look better than the last place defense that is currently in place.

My biggest problem with the Smithiak regime is they aren't tough enough in the trenches. Until this gets corrected this will continue to be a 6-10,10-6 team with no chance of making noise in the playoffs. If they ever get there.

They need to get tougher wether it be under Smithiak or whoever the new regime is.
It's not about size, either. The Titans have a line composed of canned
hams, but they are coached up to a point where they dominate the
line on both sides of the ball. This is a mental hole in the Texans' regime.
The current coaching staff has proven inept in this category.
Old 11-03-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed but I do think Cower could run this 4-3 but would make some changes. I prefer a more drive the D back rather than ZBS. I am quickly running out of patience with Gary but I still support him. He needs to start his "win for the coach" this week.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read