Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2010   #61
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Mario oh Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

blah blah mario is the best blah blah it's not mario's fault blah blah..
Players step up, players make plays, everyone else just makes excuses. Be a player make plays, not excuses. (Example: Freeney destroying our offensive line)

That's what Mario needs to do along with the rest of our defense.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #62
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario has just as many sacks as Dwight Freeney this season, and since he came into the league in 06 he has more sacks than Freeney.

Just sayin...
Old 11-05-2010   #63
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario has put up good stats considering he plays with the worst DTs in football and has never be paired with a great pass rusher on the other side. Mark Anderson is a beast of a pure pass rusher and should help Mario a lot more as he get's playing time.

At the end of the day, outside Antonio Smith and Mark Anderson, Mario's supporting cast is a bust (Amboi), a fatass (Okam), a never was (Cody), and a rookie.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #64
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Mario has just as many sacks as Dwight Freeney this season, and since he came into the league in 06 he has more sacks than Freeney.

Just sayin...
You are missing the point of the thread. It is not just about numbers or we'd all be chortling at having a 4-3 record. It is about how the team is playing and in this specific thread, how Mario Williams is playing. Many of us think we are not getting the best out of this player. For example Schaub is having a pretty good year statistically but not what we want based upon what he did last year. Freeney could be having a down year also, but he did great against Texans. If Mario had 2 sacks against the Colts and performed well the entire game, this thread would not be here.
Old 11-05-2010   #65
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are missing the point of the thread. It is not just about numbers or we'd all be chortling at having a 4-3 record. It is about how the team is playing and in this specific thread, how Mario Williams is playing. Many of us think we are not getting the best out of this player. For example Schaub is having a pretty good year statistically but not what we want based upon what he did last year. Freeney could be having a down year also, but he did great against Texans. If Mario had 2 sacks against the Colts and performed well the entire game, this thread would not be here.
My point was that the expectations set on Mario by the fanbase seem unfair to me. There are so many things wrong with this team other than Mario, yet he seems to draw the ire of the fans more than anyone else.

Everybody is pointing to Freeney as some time of legendary figure who averages 5 sacks a game and Mario could never live up to his legacy. When the fact is that Mario has been just as good and arguably better than Freeney. In the 4 games before the Colts played the Texans Freeney got 4 tackles and 0 sacks, yet I doubt if the Colts fanbase was calling him lazy and overhyped.

But we have this thread at least once a season so I can't say I'm surprised.
Old 11-05-2010   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that the expectations set on Mario by the fanbase seem unfair to me. There are so many things wrong with this team other than Mario, yet he seems to draw the ire of the fans more than anyone else.
Everybody is pointing to Freeney as some time of legendary figure who averages 5 sacks a game and Mario could never live up to his legacy. When the fact is that Mario has been just as good and arguably better than Freeney. In the 4 games before the Colts played the Texans Freeney got 4 tackles and 0 sacks, yet I doubt if the Colts fanbase was calling him lazy and overhyped.

But we have this thread at least once a season so I can't say I'm surprised.
Have you read any of the other threads at all? I, alone have talked about JJ, Andre Johnson, Cushing, Schaub, Kareem Jackson, Pollard, E.Wilson and Eric Winston. You are accusing others of only speaking negatively about MW yet you seem to have on Mario colored glasses. Most expect more out of the #1 pick in the draft earning beaucoup millions of dollars over other players. I think you statement about Colts fans is probably inaccurate or would be if I were a Colts fan. Superstars are supposed to get 'er done.
Old 11-05-2010   #67
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Have you read any of the other threads at all? I, alone have talked about JJ, Andre Johnson, Cushing, Schaub, Kareem Jackson, Pollard, E.Wilson and Eric Winston. You are accusing others of only speaking negatively about MW yet you seem to have on Mario colored glasses. Most expect more out of the #1 pick in the draft earning beaucoup millions of dollars over other players. I think you statement about Colts fans is probably inaccurate or would be if I were a Colts fan. Superstars are supposed to get 'er done.
No, I said "he draws the ire of the fans more than anyone else", never said people only speak negatively about Mario.

What more do you honestly expect from the # 1 pick? He's an elite run stuffer and averages 10 sacks a season, all while having virtually no help on the D-line and a secondary that's consistently at the bottom of the league. It seems to me as though anything short of Reggie White type production is going to be considered insufficient to our fans.

Looking back on the draft, I would still take Mario first and the only players I would even think about taking above him would be Ngata and Dbrick. I would say that he has lived up to his draft position just fine so far. But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2010   #68
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans scheme has not been the best fit for Mario & his teammates have yet to step-up next level so he can flourish. Football is such a team game, DL takes a collective group effort, no other elite pass rusher or dominant inside tackle allows teams to gameplan Mario & minimize his impact

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #69
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Mario is overrated.
Be careful. I dared to say this a few weeks back and got slaughtered by a few folks for it. Don't you dare criticize Mario. He was the #1 pick in the draft and he's our stud. He just plays around other poor lineman and that's the problem. It's not on Mario.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #70
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Be careful. I dared to say this a few weeks back and got slaughtered by a few folks for it. Don't you dare criticize Mario. He was the #1 pick in the draft and he's our stud. He just plays around other poor lineman and that's the problem. It's not on Mario.
damn skippy

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #71
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I do get a funny chuckle at the blind supporters of Mario Williams on this site at this point. The excuses that pour out for this guy are almost as bad as the stuff I hear about Yao Ming. Mario is a DE, but that's where it stops. He's not some world beater at the position. He's never been that crazy DE that finds ways to disrupt offenses on almost every other play like you've seen in some of Freeney, Strahan, or Jared Allen's best years.
Old 11-07-2010   #72
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 186 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I said "he draws the ire of the fans more than anyone else", never said people only speak negatively about Mario.

What more do you honestly expect from the # 1 pick? He's an elite run stuffer and averages 10 sacks a season, all while having virtually no help on the D-line and a secondary that's consistently at the bottom of the league. It seems to me as though anything short of Reggie White type production is going to be considered insufficient to our fans.

Looking back on the draft, I would still take Mario first and the only players I would even think about taking above him would be Ngata and Dbrick. I would say that he has lived up to his draft position just fine so far. But that's just my opinion.
Agreed +1

Rest of you guys are out of hand. Why don't we have these threads every week when Andre doesn't go over 100?
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Agreed +1

Rest of you guys are out of hand. Why don't we have these threads every week when Andre doesn't go over 100?
Lol!!

at the comparison to Andre Johnson.

Mario couldn't carry Andre Johnson's jock strap as far as rising up to the hype as a player at his position. That's very disrespectful to AJ.
Old 11-07-2010   #74
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol!!

at the comparison to Andre Johnson.

Mario couldn't carry Andre Johnson's jock strap as far as rising up to the hype as a player at his position. That's very disrespectful to AJ.
and AJ just lost the SD game for the Texans....

AJ is not untouchable....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #75
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
and AJ just lost the SD game for the Texans....

AJ is not untouchable....
AJ didn't lose the damn game. He dropped a pass at a critical time in the game, but he;s by far the most reliable player this franchise has ever had. He's gone way beyond earning a pass for a play like that, and I won't criticize him one bit for that play. He knows he ****ed up, and he'll own it and come back with a vengence. No one doubts that on bit.

Where was Mario again in this game?? Ha?? The ****ing Chargers threw the ball all over the field once again without Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, and Malcom Floyd. I don't even know who these WR's are on this team, and Rivers still torched us.

Mario Williams is overrated, plain and simple and this is another game where this team needed him to be a dominant pass rusher and he disappeared for long periods of time.
Old 11-07-2010   #76
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

So the criticism is that MW isn't a top 3 DE and he isn't Reggie White. Ok. Point taken. Real helpful.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #77
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh. If other players on the DL were actually doing things, then I'd be more apt to hate on him. But, he's the only guy who actually does things other than just being there so. . . Not worried about him.

Now if we were talking about how Okoye or Cody or Smith wre terrible I'd probably agree.
Old 11-07-2010   #78
cain78749
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 cain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performercain78749 is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
So the criticism is that MW isn't a top 3 DE and he isn't Reggie White. Ok. Point taken. Real helpful.
He isn't even top 20.
cain78749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #79
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AJ didn't lose the damn game. He dropped a pass at a critical time in the game, but he;s by far the most reliable player this franchise has ever had. He's gone way beyond earning a pass for a play like that, and I won't criticize him one bit for that play. He knows he ****ed up, and he'll own it and come back with a vengence. No one doubts that on bit.

Where was Mario again in this game?? Ha?? The ****ing Chargers threw the ball all over the field once again without Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, and Malcom Floyd. I don't even know who these WR's are on this team, and Rivers still torched us.

Mario Williams is overrated, plain and simple and this is another game where this team needed him to be a dominant pass rusher and he disappeared for long periods of time.
Funny, Saw Mario moving Rivers around all day, yet Rivers could step up because there was absolutely no push up the middle by the DTs....

Oh and Mario was in on a sack but since he didn't get 5 on the day, he is overrated....

Learn what the DE position is about then come talk to me....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #80
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain78749 View Post
He isn't even top 20.
lol. ok.

yeah I agree, he is probably like 45th or so out of starting DEs.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read