Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2010   #41
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario oh Mario

He's watching TV and quoting Antoine Dodson

What's the point of these millionaire match making shows? Is it just to say hey I'm a gold digger which dummy is just looking for eye candy
3 minutes ago via TwitBird

N will buy me stuff? I understand if at least both parties are millionaires but dang come on. You are so dumb u r really really dumb lol
2 minutes ago via TwitBird

http://twitter.com/Superjit90
Old 11-02-2010   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Harris just brought up this gem of a stat.

Mario Williams 1 tackle.... Vonta Leach 2 tackles on special teams.
Old 11-02-2010   #43
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams...

Standing at 6'7" and weighing almost 300 pounds, he sure has all the tangibles to be one of the greatest DEs in the NFL. Heck, he even sporadically flashes that talent he has.

The problem is that it seems like Mario Williams gives up at times. If he had the motor of Jared Allen, Mario would simply be unstoppable and dominate whatever O-lineman he's playing against. Sometimes, it seems like he just stops as if the play's over when he assumes he's been blocked and lost that round to the LT. If I remember correctly, during the game against the Redskins, Mario gave up on a play and McNabb threw a pass for a TD.

He is pretty good at run defense though. I think. I hope so.

Last edited by CretorFrigg; 11-02-2010 at 08:11 PM.
CretorFrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #44
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
wherefore art thou Mario???
Fixed that for you. Good grief.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #45
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

For the life of me I don't understand this. Mario Williams is outstanding against the run and formidable in the pass rush. I don't remember the exact number but I believe he is in the top 5 for most sacks since he entered the league, and he gets no help. Well, now he is getting help from Antonio Smith. But seriously, who would yall take over Mario Williams, besides Dwight Freeney apparently?

Just cause he doesn't have a sack in every game doesn't mean he is shit. Seriously. Get real.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #46
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
That Antonio Smith has been our best DL this year by a pretty considerable amount.
I don't know how you come to that conclusion when their stats are very similar with the exception that Mario has twice as many sacks.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #47
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
DATCHAPIN, most of us on this MB are long time Texans fans and before that many of us followed the Oilers. We are trying to fairly criticize and evaluate many team members. This is just one thread and it is about Mario. If you know Mario as you seem to indicate, you know he is not living up to billing this season. He has been a very good player at times and then very ineffective at other times. No player wins or loses on his own, but to say hands off anyone of them comes across not so well.
I don't know Mario. (Dunno how I indicated that, wasn't my intention.) I never said hands off, dunno if you were just taking that way. (again not my intention.) I never said he was living up to his billing, but my point is that he isn't the only one and I don't see any other players getting the same treatment as Mario.

The other thing is how much of that is on Mario and how much is on the coaching staff? I dunno, but considering I see poor play from everyone else on the D-line except a veteran who was brought here already established, I don't know where that line is drawn.

I'm not a Mario apologist, but to say he is being fairly critiqued, I'm not sure. Saying he isn't even a pimple on Freeney's a@@ or that he wouldn't even make a play after the unmasked segment. I dunno. I just wanted to state my opinion. I didn't do it on the Mario is a wuss thread, but I just wanted to weigh in. My bad.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2010   #48
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
I don't know Mario. (Dunno how I indicated that, wasn't my intention.) I never said hands off, dunno if you were just taking that way. (again not my intention.) I never said he was living up to his billing, but my point is that he isn't the only one and I don't see any other players getting the same treatment as Mario.

The other thing is how much of that is on Mario and how much is on the coaching staff? I dunno, but considering I see poor play from everyone else on the D-line except a veteran who was brought here already established, I don't know where that line is drawn.

I'm not a Mario apologist, but to say he is being fairly critiqued, I'm not sure. Saying he isn't even a pimple on Freeney's a@@ or that he wouldn't even make a play after the unmasked segment. I dunno. I just wanted to state my opinion. I didn't do it on the Mario is a wuss thread, but I just wanted to weigh in. My bad.
That defense is so bad, who knows whats the problem. Is it the players, the coaching, or both? Who knows. I think my 9 year old nephew could break down our D in his coloring book. It's ****ing pathetic what we run. And a lil embarrassing.
Old 11-03-2010   #49
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
When is Mario going to learn that spin move that we know Dwight Freeney is going to do but still can't stop?
You have to have coaches that know what they are doing first.
Old 11-03-2010   #50
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 186 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our DB's are going to need to force the QB to hold the ball longer than 3 seconds for anybody to get any pressure.

There is a reason nobody got any constant pressure Monday night. Peyton dropped back and immediately found an open player.

Mario did get doubled a couple of times and needs to find a way to make himself more of a factor but I don't believe he is the problem at all.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #51
T3X4NS FAN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 T3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of FamerT3X4NS FAN is a Hall of Famer

If I can remember correctly Mario got OWNED by a few tight ends last year. I mean for someone who was and currently still is overhyped; he couldnt even bullrush a tight end one on one. Im scared to say it but he might turn out to be our version of Tony Homo. I honestly think that most of his "injuries" were "just in case" excuses. If he does bad well blame it on the injuries, but if he does good then he looks like a superstar for playing thru his pain.
T3X4NS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario had 1 (one) tackle....

Vonta "the BEAST" Leach had two ST tackles...

That s**t ain't right.......
Old 11-03-2010   #53
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 186 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Mario had 1 (one) tackle....

Vonta "the BEAST" Leach had two ST tackles...

That s**t ain't right.......
What's your point?

Mario had a tackle for a loss. We had what - three of those all game?

The way he is lined up (outside of TE on a lot of occasions) he isn't going to get many tackles. That's fine. We don't pay Mario to tackle a running back 5 yards down the field.

You want to b*tch about his play - b*tch about the lack of QB pressures/sacks/tipped passes, etc. But tackles are an almost pointless stat for a pass rushing DE. Freeney had two tackles all game - care to suggest that he didn't make a big enough impact because he only had two tackles?

Mario has to get more pressure on the QB and to do that we need a secondary that can provide a few seconds of time to enable him to make his move and cover the distance. Mario beat his man several times on Monday - some to the inside, a lot to the outside and twice on a bull rush - every time Peyton was able to step up or released the ball well before Mario got close enough to effect the play. I'd wager that on 50% of the pass plays Mario or Smith could have been unblocked and Peyton still would have found the open reciever/tight end/running back with time to spare. That's not acceptable - nobody is going to make an impact like that.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #54
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
What's your point?

The way he is lined up (outside of TE on a lot of occasions) he isn't going to get many tackles. That's fine. We don't pay Mario to tackle a running back 5 yards down the field.

You want to b*tch about his play - b*tch about the lack of QB pressures/sacks/tipped passes, etc. But tackles are an almost pointless stat for a pass rushing DE. Freeney had two tackles all game - care to suggest that he didn't make a big enough impact because he only had two tackles?

Mario has to get more pressure on the QB and to do that we need a secondary that can provide a few seconds of time to enable him to make his move and cover the distance. Mario beat his man several times on Monday - some to the inside, a lot to the outside and twice on a bull rush - every time Peyton was able to step up or released the ball well before Mario got close enough to effect the play. I'd wager that on 50% of the pass plays Mario or Smith could have been unblocked and Peyton still would have found the open reciever/tight end/running back with time to spare. That's not acceptable - nobody is going to make an impact like that.
Yeah, the D is such a total team cluster **** its hard to point blame.
Old 11-04-2010   #55
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
What's your point?

My point is......... Mario had one tackle.

Did ya get that? ONE... O - N - E tackle.

That's my point!

We don't pay him to make tackles 5 yards down field? Whaaaaa???

WE pay him to make plays. We pay him to be a dominant force whether against the pass or run. He was a huge FAIL in both regards.
Old 11-04-2010   #56
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My point is......... Mario had one tackle.

Did ya get that? ONE... O - N - E tackle.

That's my point!

We don't pay him to make tackles 5 yards down field? Whaaaaa???

WE pay him to make plays. We pay him to be a dominant force whether against the pass or run. He was a huge FAIL in both regards.
I could name at least 8 guys on that defense who did less. Schaub had a way worse game. The coach had a worse game then all of them. Mario got pressures, Anderson got the sack, who else did anything? Cushing is proving everyday that he is a roid junkie, with one awful game after another. Diles couldn't lace up a real LBers shoes. Pollard is in an interesting place where he can't cover AND misses tackles. It's almost laughable at how bad and simple our defense is. To nlame one guy is a joke, regardless of what you expect of him.
Old 11-04-2010   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I could name at least 8 guys on that defense who did less. Schaub had a way worse game. The coach had a worse game then all of them. Mario got pressures, Anderson got the sack, who else did anything? Cushing is proving everyday that he is a roid junkie, with one awful game after another. Diles couldn't lace up a real LBers shoes. Pollard is in an interesting place where he can't cover AND misses tackles. It's almost laughable at how bad and simple our defense is. To nlame one guy is a joke, regardless of what you expect of him.
True, in fact I would say 9 other guys. Eugene Wilson of all people was about the only one who did show up... Does that somehow excuse Mario's lack of presence?? No.

Schaub had a terrible game (also true), at the same time he's had some good games this season. Other than game 1 v. the Colts when has Mario had a really good game?? I wish people would quit deflecting criticism of Mario and his being called out (because that's the real "joke"). He was a #1 overall draft pick and your highest paid defensive player. He needs to be held accountable. What the joke is people who don't recognize that people like me have plenty of criticism to go around, but we call out supposed team leaders. The big dollar guys. The #1 draft choices who dissappear and who play with a lack of heart - i.e. Mario Williams... That's the joke!!!
Old 11-04-2010   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
For the life of me I don't understand this. Mario Williams is outstanding against the run and formidable in the pass rush. I don't remember the exact number but I believe he is in the top 5 for most sacks since he entered the league, and he gets no help. Well, now he is getting help from Antonio Smith. But seriously, who would yall take over Mario Williams, besides Dwight Freeney apparently?

Just cause he doesn't have a sack in every game doesn't mean he is shit. Seriously. Get real.
No one seems to be saying this Wagonhed. We are evaluating him on this season but he does have history of not going 100% all game. He had help last year from Barwin, Smith and our LBs. Remember our last two DROYs Cushing and Ryans? While the LBs have not been there this season Okoye has looked better the last two games as has Smith. Anderson got a sack and the few times I was able to observe him he did pretty well. Mario was not drafted to do well against the run. He was signed to raise havoc and disrupt the QB. SACKs! My evaluation of that ability depends on the game.
Old 11-04-2010   #59
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Hold on let me put these on..

Ahh ok now everything looks ok! GO GO SUPER MARIO YOU ARE GREAT!
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #60
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, in fact I would say 9 other guys. Eugene Wilson of all people was about the only one who did show up... Does that somehow excuse Mario's lack of presence?? No.

Schaub had a terrible game (also true), at the same time he's had some good games this season. Other than game 1 v. the Colts when has Mario had a really good game?? I wish people would quit deflecting criticism of Mario and his being called out (because that's the real "joke"). He was a #1 overall draft pick and your highest paid defensive player. He needs to be held accountable. What the joke is people who don't recognize that people like me have plenty of criticism to go around, but we call out supposed team leaders. The big dollar guys. The #1 draft choices who disappear and who play with a lack of heart - i.e. Mario Williams... That's the joke!!!
Guess you missed the 3 sack performance in Washington, huh? The fact you are trying to call him out is the real joke.

EVERY great DE had really good DT to push up the middle. When Mario got his sacks this year, it was Antonio Smith pushing up the middle where the QB had no place to go. Mario, just like Freeney and Mathis and the other great DE go to a spot where the QB is going to be, ie 5 step and 7 step drops, and if the QB steps up, it because the DT didn't do their job. Had you payed closer attention, you would have noticed that Freeney and Mathis got great push from their DT up the middle and Schaub had no where to go. That is where the success comes from, not just a DE making a great play one-on-one. This is also why Jason Babin, YES THAT JASON BABIN, is having the season he is having in Tennessee, because of the Titans DTs flushing out QBs.

Oh and Mario had only one tackle because the Colts threw most the night and ran away from him or up the middle on draw plays, which every team can on the Texans because there is no push up the middle. His one tackle came from closing down in the middle.

Folks around here measuring success on sacks need to learn a little more about the DE position. I see Mario flushing a QB out all the time, just nobody around to finish the job because they are being pushed 5 yards off the ball or out of position, thus making Mario look slow and that is the frustrating part. In fact, Mario shouldn't be the one flushing out the QB, it should be the DTs with Mario and Smith cleaning up for the sacks, but we all know why that doesn't happen. Don't know if it is scheme, which has alot to do with it, or players but to blame Mario completely is simply asinine....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read