Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2010   #1
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Mario oh Mario

where art thou Mario???

Could you please find your A game in a big game that we need you? You didn't get double teamed the entire night you just sucked it up when we needed you the most to make a big play.. See big time players make big time plays when it's time, the closers for the Colts closed the game while you sat on the bench..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario oh Mario

Agreed. Mario got a couple QB pressures but for the most part was nonexistent like our DT's. Mario is overrated.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #3
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario showed up to the best of his ability. He's just not very good.
It's time to just call it like it is with him. He's not quick enough or savvy enough to be a good pass rusher. He will get a few sacks here and there, but he does not provide any sort of consistent pressure at all. Mark Anderson was much more disruptive last night.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #4
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

During the pregame when they did that little piece on him, I was like huh...

He is good, I will give him credit, but to say he is a caged beast.. please. I told my wife great players do great things every game, not every once in a while. Hoping my talk would be served back to me, I was right.. Mario is good, he is not elite, he is not dominant, and well it is time to stop making Mario out to be this dominate player.. Dominate players show up every game.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

for all his physical talent, all a team needs to do is make him think and mario's removed from the play entirely. where freeney knows what he's going to do before each play (or 2 plays ahead as he sets up each move), mario has to stop and figure out his next move after the snap. absolutely zero natural instinct inside of a body sculpted perfectly for the role.

last night he was very vocal on the field, trying to help align the line. that is the LAST thing i'd want mario doing, regardless of who wants him to appear a leader. give that to smith until we get a legitimate nose tackle. mario's successes come from "brain off, you're A - get to B as soon as possible". he was most notably lost when he was standing up. that should've been a given to attack manning at the snap, but on most plays without a hand on the ground he paused to check the run before making a move on the tackle.

for his "unmasked" segment before the game comparing himself to a bull in the gates, he dang sure wasnt playing with the wild abandon needed for him to be successful.

Last edited by Scooter; 11-02-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
During the pregame when they did that little piece on him, I was like huh...

He is good, I will give him credit, but to say he is a caged beast.. please. I told my wife great players do great things every game, not every once in a while. Hoping my talk would be served back to me, I was right.. Mario is good, he is not elite, he is not dominant, and well it is time to stop making Mario out to be this dominate player.. Dominate players show up every game.
Thought the same thing when I saw that piece. (chuckled to myself "yeah right, will be lucky if I even see you make a play tonight now")
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario has a little Stacy McLady in him:

Old 11-02-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

When is Mario going to learn that spin move that we know Dwight Freeney is going to do but still can't stop?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing I blame Mario the most for is not taking it upon himself to better his attack arsenal. What moves does he have? A bullrush and that's it! Get some training and work on new moves. You're a beast, but you can't just go out and beat everyone one on one
Old 11-02-2010   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Mario has a little Stacy McLady in him:

True, LOL

Mario isn't even a pimple on Freeney's a**

The difference is the game of football means alot more to Freeney than it does to Mario. It's his job to get to the QB on every play. Mario doesn't play that way.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario's a beast if he can bull rush his guy, a non-factor if he can't.

Same thing in college, which is why half of D'Brick's highlight films during the combine were him pimp-slapping Mario.

With 5 years in the NFL, you'd figure somebody would coach him to use a few moves.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta admit that caged bull ESPN thing was uh...

Reggie Bush-esque.

Mario's a good player, just not a great player. Certainly not a dominate player. Borderline probowler. All the talent and none of the desire.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #13
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams - Cadillac body with a Yugo engine.
Old 11-02-2010   #14
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have always thought Mario would have been a great DT. If anyone watches him the whole game, he does very little moves. He bullrushes and that is about it.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #15
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is an outstanding strong-side 4-3 DE (or 3-4 DE for that matter), but he's not a quick-twitch weakside edge-rusher as Freeney most certainly is. Maybe Barwin was and still could be that guy for us, but Mario isn't and won't be.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sick & tired of this 4-3 BS! The Texans need to switch to a 3-4 if that means firing Kubiak & Co so be it. I think Mario & Antonio Smith could be fine ends in this alingment. Cody would have to be NT for now, with Earl his back-up, time to move on Amobi. Use four LB's (DeMeco will return next year) but for now stand-up Cushing & Adibi slot Sharpton & Diles inside (Barwin would be the other OLB next year after rehab).

I'm sure Mario is frustrated too, proof is just watching him on the sidelines shouting @ Kollar or throwing his hands up on the field. He is not being put into a position to succeed, period.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #17
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Mario is an outstanding strong-side 4-3 DE (or 3-4 DE for that matter), but he's not a quick-twitch weakside edge-rusher as Freeney most certainly is. Maybe Barwin was and still could be that guy for us, but Mario isn't and won't be.
Right. I agree with this and I've resigned myself to the fact that Mario is "meh" against the pass and really seems better against the run.
Old 11-02-2010   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm sure Mario is frustrated too, proof is just watching him on the sidelines shouting @ Kollar or throwing his hands up on the field. He is not being put into a position to succeed, period.
I was not able to listen to the game commentary, but saw that interaction on the sidelines and would love to know what it was about.
Old 11-02-2010   #19
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario got some pressures but as usual, all Manning had to do was step up into the pocket because there was NO push up the middle. Yea he hasn't been that great the last couple of games but he's one of the only staples on that line and its better to add talent next to him than to replace him. Also, at the beginning of the game they said Freeney was held without a sack for the previous 4 games, these guys just go through stretches...
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Mario got some pressures but as usual, all Manning had to do was step up into the pocket because there was NO push up the middle. Yea he hasn't been that great the last couple of games but he's one of the only staples on that line and its better to add talent next to him than to replace him. Also, at the beginning of the game they said Freeney was held without a sack for the previous 4 games, these guys just go through stretches...
and lay in wait to play Texans OL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read