Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2010   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaubs poor play tonight partly to blame

(Sorry for the new thread, I tried to add this to the Schaub one on the page but it won't let me access page 2. Also, the search feature still isn't working for me)

I know the playcalling was atrocious and the protection sorely lacking.

However, I noticed a few things about Schaub tonight that had me concerned

1. His pocket presence, usually a big strength, seems to have been lessened.
Once or twice he rushed a throw rather than wait for a route to develop. And equally as often he sat with the ball too long rather than get rid of it.
At least 4-5 times I saw him step out of the pocket towards Winston's side, rather than stepping up. This usually resulted in pressure or hits. If he had moved up, he would have been fine.

2. Our mid distance passing game seemed non existent.
He seemed terrified to challenge down the field. We got a lot of short throws, quick drops, etc. I dont know if this was due to coverage problems or AJs ankle or what.
Old 11-01-2010   #2
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaubs poor play tonight partly to blame

Yeah, Schaub played like shit. He is lucky he didn't have 3 picks. And he has been throwing behind receivers all ****ing year. Seriously, wtf Schaub.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Schaub has not been this year what he was last year, and I'm not referring to statistics.
Old 11-01-2010   #4
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I actually don't blame him, I have a feeling it is Dennison.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we are kinda stuck with him what do u want us to do try out Dano or .................Lineart ???????? draft a 1st rounder QB or get one in F/a ????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub was getting hurried, but he looked scared. Last year when he was getting pressured he'd hit OD for 10 yards, not so much this year.
Old 11-01-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Offense as a whole underperformed. Schaub is not elite. I don't expect him to perform consistently like elite ones do. He needs to just not suck at times. that int and some other throws was him sucking. Oline didn't do great. Receivers not named dre should have been better. Kw is almost non exsistent by starting wr standards. Play calling in the beggining was not great.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2010   #8
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
(Sorry for the new thread, I tried to add this to the Schaub one on the page but it won't let me access page 2. Also, the search feature still isn't working for me)

I know the playcalling was atrocious and the protection sorely lacking.

However, I noticed a few things about Schaub tonight that had me concerned

1. His pocket presence, usually a big strength, seems to have been lessened.
Once or twice he rushed a throw rather than wait for a route to develop. And equally as often he sat with the ball too long rather than get rid of it.
At least 4-5 times I saw him step out of the pocket towards Winston's side, rather than stepping up. This usually resulted in pressure or hits. If he had moved up, he would have been fine.

2. Our mid distance passing game seemed non existent.
He seemed terrified to challenge down the field. We got a lot of short throws, quick drops, etc. I dont know if this was due to coverage problems or AJs ankle or what.
I'm gonna say that Kubiak really is to blame for this. Schaub had lots of mistakes here, and his play has been piss poor at times this year. But Kubiak needs to recognize that the Colts pass rush is really good and adjust faster. To think that we can just pass the ball at will on the Colts is pure arrogance. Even when down 14-0, keep the ball on the ground, and soften the team up. If you're going to pass, why not screen more?

To his credit, Schaub brought us back twice from very far behind and his pocket presence was excellent last week.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post

To his credit, Schaub brought us back twice from very far behind and his pocket presence was excellent last week.
Thats what was so surprising. He used the rollouts so effectively 2 weeks ago, that this evenings play was really a letdown.

I wonder how much of it is on his WRs as well. Other than AJ, weve been majorly disappointing so far. Jacoby has not looked good at all, Walter has been hit or miss, and so have all our TEs
Old 11-01-2010   #10
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15724 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

lets not act like duane brown wasn't getting owned as well
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #11
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame Walter a bit on that INT. He's right there with the guy, don't let the guy jump in front of you. Tackle him if you must, it's much better than the INT. Walter could have caught that one too, but it was a good play by the DB since he jumped it.

I believe any QB can get rattled if you hit them a few times. Our oline sucked in pass protection...completely sucked. Even doubling Freeney did not stop him, embarrassing.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #12
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Thats what was so surprising. He used the rollouts so effectively 2 weeks ago, that this evenings play was really a letdown.

I wonder how much of it is on his WRs as well. Other than AJ, weve been majorly disappointing so far. Jacoby has not looked good at all, Walter has been hit or miss, and so have all our TEs
I was thinking that OD would have a monster game today. He was solid against the Chiefs. What really bothers me is we threw a screen to him in the Giants game and got 20+ yards. We haven't done that since. We need him to get involved since I think behind Johnson, he's our real #2, not KW or JJ
Old 11-01-2010   #13
hradhak
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I believe any QB can get rattled if you hit them a few times. Our oline sucked in pass protection...completely sucked. Even doubling Freeney did not stop him, embarrassing.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Schaub had a concussion that was undiagnosed. He looked confused after the first few hits.

It really pisses me off that Kubiak has not been calling more screens this year with our pass protection being as porous as it's been this year. Just with a good running game and some screens to Foster on blitzes I think we could have improved our 3rd down conversion to at least 50% in this game.
Old 11-01-2010   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I blame Walter a bit on that INT. He's right there with the guy, don't let the guy jump in front of you. Tackle him if you must, it's much better than the INT. Walter could have caught that one too, but it was a good play by the DB since he jumped it.

Yup. Offensive holding is a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul. Offensive pass interference is a 10 yard penalty. Both are replay of down.

Either are MUCH better than a turnover
Old 11-01-2010   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Yeah, Schaub played like shit. He is lucky he didn't have 3 picks. And he has been throwing behind receivers all ****ing year. Seriously, wtf Schaub.
All the more reason to lean on the run game. I think you could be onto something, Kubes buying into Dennison too much or something. Although the run blocking has been very good.
Old 11-01-2010   #16
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
lets not act like duane brown wasn't getting owned as well
Yeah....kinda thought after awhile that maybe Butler should have gone in. Can't imagine that he wouldn't have been freaking fired up to get the call.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #17
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

On that INT, Walter was also confused and Leach had to tell him what to do.

Jacoby simply can't be trusted to catch or hold on to the ball. He accounted for 2 fumbles which were both luckily recovered.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #18
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

We essentially used the pass to set up the run, even though the run was previously successful. Why mess with success? Sure, the Colts were preparing for that, but they still have to DO it.....just like we always have to stop the pass with Indy. Let's find a way to embrace/perpetuate past success, please. I know it's a new thing.....but c'mon.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #19
hradhak
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
Yeah....kinda thought after awhile that maybe Butler should have gone in. Can't imagine that he wouldn't have been freaking fired up to get the call.
I didn't pay much attention, but it looked like Foster was lined up on Schaub's right and didn't get in to help out with Freeney. Also the TEs didn't really help out much either.
Old 11-02-2010   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most all of Schaubs poor play tonight can be directly linked to the terrible play of Duane Brown. Brown is the one who got owned by Freeny and gave up the sacks and pressures that gave Schaub the jitters in the pocket and thus causing him to rush his throws. Schaub was feeling jitters at times when there was no pressure, but you get nailed a few times and it gets in the QB's head.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read